Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:30   #1
dv8

Newb question

Hello all, new here to BOG though I've been reading some of the threads here on and off for the past few days. Its nice to see how brother gunners do in other countries.

I've got a question though, a buddy of mine lives in the PI and like all of you enjoys shooting a lot. To help him out, I was thinking about sending one of my used reloaders and a couple of thousand new unfired 45 acp cases. I figure the reloader is ok to send as its just a tool but are the cases fine too?

Again this is just new unfired brass...Oh and I tried to search but didnt see any previous questions about this, sorry if its a repeat...
dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:04   #2
vega

Negative to both items.
BOG #005
vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:17   #3
zorkd

Send a message via ICQ to zorkd Send a message via AIM to zorkd Send a message via Yahoo to zorkd
can be done

the reloader can be brought in, you will just have to coordinate with a licensed gun dealer here, or if you know somebody personally in customs. it is indeed a tool, as are all guns, but anyway since it is used to make ammo, which is used in guns, it is somewhat regulated also, but not to the same degree. for example, i could own one without having to register it with the FED, but if the government decides i am up to no good, they can storm in and take it.

to say that it can not be done is just plain false, how pray tell, did the dillon, lee, and what have you reloaders got to this country i'd like to ask mr. vega.

i am sure it was not licensed locally made copies.

the brass on the other hand, while tempting to bring in, will probably be not have a good cost benefit ratio. local brass is good and i think starline is also available here.

the reloader will pay for itself over time, the brass not much so.

if, and when, you do get the reloader here, let me know if you want to sell it, there is a ready market for that.
zorkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:59   #4
vega

Re: can be done

Quote:
Originally posted by zorkd
to say that it can not be done is just plain false, how pray tell, did the dillon, lee, and what have you reloaders got to this country i'd like to ask mr. vega.
Well since zorkd says it's ok, then by all means go ahead and ship it.
BOG #005

Last edited by vega; 02-15-2007 at 12:04..
Old 02-15-2007, 14:12   #5
horge
Lifetime Membership
-=-=-=-=-

zorkd,
Kindly check your PM box.
-----

Hi dv8,
It's great of you to be thinking of your friend here.
Welcome to the BoG!

Reloaders are subject to registration here, so they're not
'just a tool'. While it's technically possible to ask a
licensed gun dealer in the Philippines to import your reloader for
your friend, it'll probably produce zero cost benefit as opposed to
him buying a Dillon or Lee from local retailers (Stronghand, for one).
Buying it locally may avail for him certain warranties that receipt
via shipping will not.

Brass casings are not subject to registration nor licensing, but in
today's post-9/11 world, would possibly be held at customs, and if it
was a particularly slow day at the office, the addressee redflagged
for investigation by one of two agencies, causing him/her a fair
piece of hassle. In any case, the volume required to offset shipping cost
(versus locally available brass) would likely be considerable.

Thanks for the generous thoughts towards one of ours!

horge
-BoG Hog #12
-Model 1911 Club member #111

Last edited by horge; 02-15-2007 at 14:19..
horge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 17:58   #6
dv8

Thanks for the welcome and replies gents. While not what I wanted to hear I guess some other form of gear (I have a couple of bladetech holsters and mag pouches I dont use anymore)would be safer. Correct or no?

I wouldnt be surprised if reloading equipment came in under less than legal situations. Nowadays anything is possible.
Old 02-15-2007, 20:11   #7
vega

Quote:
Originally posted by dv8
Thanks for the welcome and replies gents. While not what I wanted to hear I guess some other form of gear (I have a couple of bladetech holsters and mag pouches I dont use anymore)would be safer. Correct or no?

I wouldnt be surprised if reloading equipment came in under less than legal situations. Nowadays anything is possible.
Yes you can send the holsters and pouches legally without coordinating with licensed gun dealer and even without knowing anyone personally in customs (with pun intended). Either send it DHL, UPS or Fedex so you can track it down. Avoid snail mail.
BOG #005
Old 02-16-2007, 05:20   #8
zorkd

Send a message via ICQ to zorkd Send a message via AIM to zorkd Send a message via Yahoo to zorkd
to dv8

i might have been overzealous in my welcoming you, and being as such, might have committed in giving you advice that is not all that sound. and i have said things which were not appropriate, to the parties affected, i offer my sincerest apologies.

my basis for saying the reloader is not registered was from an experience i had from a gunstore that i shall no longer name, they sold me a dillon RL550B with no paperwork from FED but just a receipt from their store. i asked if this was legal, and they said yes. if they knew it was or wasn't actually so, i do not know.

my lawyer has nothing to say, he probly doesn't know. the red book on the law on firearms is a bit vague although i recall a line that mentions that anything that can be used to make guns or ammo are also regulated. i don't want to be pilosopo pero with such vague wordings, brass, steel, copper, plastics, and lead must also be regulated to the same degree. i dunno, it's all in the interpretation i guess.

bottomline, if you can find a legal way to do the transfer, perhaps from an FFL there to an AFAD member dealer here, and you are willing to pay for the taxes and freight then it can be done. but as mentioned above, it might not turn out to be worth the expense. the brass, i would suggest just selling it there or keeping it for your own use, i am quite sure it will be not worth the while to bring in although it is still possible if done through proper channels.

gentlemen, thank you again.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:37   #9
vega

Re: to dv8

Quote:
my basis for saying the reloader is not registered was from an experience i had from a gunstore that i shall no longer name, they sold me a dillon RL550B with no paperwork from FED but just a receipt from their store. i asked if this was legal, and they said yes. if they knew it was or wasn't actually so, i do not know.
It is legal for the store to sell you a reloader and legal for you to buy it BUT it is the reloaders responsibility to register it.
BOG #005
Old 02-16-2007, 19:08   #10
zorkd

galing nila noh. . .

di man lang nila sinabi sa akin. ang pagkakatanong ko naman is "pwede ba ako bumili niyan? talaga, wala nang requirements?" sabi "Oo". ako naman ayos, teka kulang cash kong dala.
Old 02-16-2007, 22:06   #11
dv8

Re: to dv8

Quote:
i might have been overzealous in my welcoming you, and being as such, might have committed in giving you advice that is not all that sound. and i have said things which were not appropriate, to the parties affected, i offer my sincerest apologies.

my lawyer has nothing to say, he probly doesn't know. the red book on the law on firearms is a bit vague although i recall a line that mentions that anything that can be used to make guns or ammo are also regulated. i don't want to be pilosopo pero with such vague wordings, brass, steel, copper, plastics, and lead must also be regulated to the same degree. i dunno, it's all in the interpretation i guess.

bottomline, if you can find a legal way to do the transfer, perhaps from an FFL there to an AFAD member dealer here, and you are willing to pay for the taxes and freight then it can be done. but as mentioned above, it might not turn out to be worth the expense. the brass, i would suggest just selling it there or keeping it for your own use, i am quite sure it will be not worth the while to bring in although it is still possible if done through proper channels.

gentlemen, thank you again.
No prob zorkd, I found it odd that the reasoning behind registering the reloader is that its capable of manufacturing ammo thus regulated. Like you said if that line of thought is followed then anything (even raw materials) could be construed as "having the capability to manufacture ammo". I know, thats silly but technically its true. I guess its just one of those ridiculous things we have to live with to support our hobby, Lord knows how many BS laws we have to deal with over here. I just wish our M-16s were as cheap as yours are over there.

Anyway, next time I'm in your guys neck of the woods, drinks are on me!
Old 02-16-2007, 22:20   #12
zorkd

i'm saving a screenshot of this

sir dv8, sabi mo yan ha! guys rinig niyo? papainom daw si dv8!

about our stoner pattern rifles being cheaper. depende yan sa pagbibilhan mo, most of the shops that do carry it only sell to LE agencies. and even then, they sell it for a much higher price than the catalog price of the manufacturer.

bushmaster ang mahal dito. DPMS wala pa akong nakikita. elisco and colt madami pero not for sale sa mga stores, afaik.

mas mura baril dyan sa US, mas madami nga lang batas na halos binalewala' na yung 2nd ammendment. but that is another issue altogether.

dito hindi nga siya right pero kung titingnan mo, ang ownership and carry privileges are basically "shall issue". pero ganito ang dating, that is "we shall issue you a permit if you can afford it, and we will price it exhorbitantly para mas mahirapan kang ma issuehan" sa ownership naman "we shall issue you a license, again as long as you fork over the tax and bond, and all the requirements which more or less costs US$100 also to get."