SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2007, 21:34   #1
IronHorseman

So you think it can`t happen here?

E-mail message

From: jmtomes@(jmtomes) Date: Fri, Feb 16, 2007, 8:20pm To: "Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@webtv.net Subject: Three stories
___ In the past five days I've had three fascinating stories told to me._ I'd like to share them._ The first was an e-mail I got from one of our Patriots who lives up in New Richmond, Indiana.
_
___ He's been on this e-mail list since participating in the Appleseed Shoot we had here in Evansville last April._ He was writing about his trip to Massachusetts to the Smith and Wesson facility._ He took a handgun training_ session in their public indoor range._ He said it was a nice experience, but he discovered something that has changed his life.
_
___ While shooting some of the many different S&W guns available for rental, one of the range masters mentioned how he wished he could own one of the particular guns that S&W makes._However, Massachusetts state law prohibits private ownership of some of the guns made there.
_
___ That revelation was enough to prompt my friend to join the NRA, GOA and the JPFO when he got back to the sanctuary of Indiana.
_
___ A few days ago another fellow Patriot who lives a few miles from us called and was explaining something that happened to his fellow worker, who works with him at the_General Electric plant here at Mt. Vernon.
_
___ This co-worker, resident of Indiana, is a nurse in her mid 50's._ She is a widow of two years._ One of her sons is a police officer._ Her kids convinced her to purchase a handgun because she travels alone with her job._ She attended a three day_tactical handgun training course in Ohio and received a certification.
_
___ She_apparently is_well qualified with her $1400.00 Kimber to know how to use it._ Recently on a trip to Vermont, a trip she has made three times before, she encountered a situation that will forever change her life.
_
___ She checked the gun in at the airport in Evansville with her other luggage according to TSA rules._ The gun was unloaded in a double locked case and the ammo was in the original box in another locked case.
_
____According to her when she arrived at the Albany N.Y. airport the Albany sheriff's department inside the airport pulled her out of line waiting to pick up her luggage.
_
___ She was taken into a room and searched by two female police officers, photographed, fingerprinted and had to post bail.__After missing her connecting flight she was allowed to return to the Northwest Airline ticket counter to get another ticket for another flight._ After purchasing the ticket she was then taken to another room and again_searched by two female officers.
_
___ She's been told that her gun would be destroyed and she now has a March_court date to appear in an Albany court._ She is looking for legal counsel._
_
___ I'm hoping to get this unfortunate lady to come to one of our meetings._
____
___ Story three._ I just got back from a visit to my local gun shop._ While we were talking and solving world issues this fellow came in to leave a flyer._ This guy was driving an oil rig truck and he lives in Illinois._ He was fit to be tied about what the flyer was about.
_
___ According to the handout Cook County (Chicago) Illinois had passed a ban on pump and semi auto shotguns._ Owners of these terrible guns had until Feb.12 to get them out of the area._ The flyer mentioned there was going to be busses chartered on March 14th to go to Springfield, Ill. to protest.
_
___ This fellow is facing the reality of moving out of the state._ I personally know several people who live in that hostile gun state._ It's unfortunate, though running away to another gun friendly state like Indiana might be the first instinct, I think it would be better to stay and fight._ The question is how many would fight._ According to him, not enough.
_
_
___ These stories are real._ For many who live here in Indiana these are lessons they feel they will never have to learn. But I say they are fools._ It could happen here in the time it takes one General Assembly to convene.
_
___ We in the 2nd Amendment Patriots know too well that while many have intentions of STAYING UNITED, having the fortitude to stay in the fight for the long haul is just a little more than some are willing to commit to.
_
___ When I was young I thought as an American, I was an American no matter what state I was in._ Judging by the three examples I just presented it's obvious that we have different levels of citizenship._ Some of us enjoy 10 Bill Of Rights, tattered as they are._ Others have less than ten._ Who's next?_ How far will it go?
_
___ For 9 years Margie and I along with group of dedicated fellow Americans have hoped to inspire and encourage folks to come alive and make a stand for Liberty._ Sometimes it seems as the efforts put forth have only generated a small ripple in a_giant lake.
_
___ Just hoping to hold ground is not an option._ If you REALLY believe in staying free, then you better be willing to apply yourself.
_
___ See you at our Patriot meeting,
_
___
Jim and Margie
2nd Amendment Patriots
STAY UNITED
www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
IronHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 22:43   #2
cougar_guy04

Re: So you think it can`t happen here?

Quote:
Originally posted by IronHorseman
___ According to the handout Cook County (Chicago) Illinois had passed a ban on pump and semi auto shotguns._ Owners of these terrible guns had until Feb.12 to get them out of the area._ The flyer mentioned there was going to be busses chartered on March 14th to go to Springfield, Ill. to protest.
_
___ This fellow is facing the reality of moving out of the state._ I personally know several people who live in that hostile gun state._ It's unfortunate, though running away to another gun friendly state like Indiana might be the first instinct, I think it would be better to stay and fight._ The question is how many would fight._ According to him, not enough.
I can vouch for this, as a resident of downstate Illinois. We enjoy our 2A rights, however, there is one major roadblock to that . . . Chicago. To put it bluntly, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley runs the state. We won't ever have CCW, yet I doubt Blago and Daley would go without their armed bodyguards and rely on the police to protect the. I know, part of being a public figure is having to worry about the crazies getting to you, but why should the normal person be left defenseless to those that mean to do us harm? This was posted by another Illinois resident on xdtalk (he runs pistolgear.com):
Quote:
It seems that the Daley machine is in action and the IL DEMS are set to ban a whole mess of things. Not only are AR, HiCaps and the 50CAL on the docket, but so too is the private sale of firearms and any magazine with a capacity greater than 8 rounds.

8 rounds? You heard it. All bottom feeders would be restricted to a capacity of 8 rounds, like a traditional 1911. Does this mean that SA will build IL/8 round mags for the XD? Good question.

Not only are they going to ban the items, but you will have 90 days to destroy, sell out of state, or turn in anything on the list. Not doing so will results in a Class Three Felony. Remember, IL owners are required to get a permit to purchase, so the state knows who has guns.

Furthermore, the Gun Industry (non-retail) offers roughly 1,000 job and over $200 million in revenue to this great state. The retail side is much larger. Should this ban pass, I would expect that SA and others will move shop to a friendlier place. The impact is huge, much greater than the turds who are killed in Chicago by other turds. I would like to see all do what Barrett did in CA. If you ban my 50s for private use, we will not sell them for state use. I would like to see the gun makers tell the Chicago PD to build your own damn guns.

Get out the pen, paper and lubricant. Write you Reps, this one will move and pass quickly. With full power, nothing will stop this...

OS
Illinois is in a bad way, and I've been doing what I can in contacting my reps, etc., etc., but the will of Chicago just flows down on us like rain (it really should be given to Kali-weird and let Illinois be in peace). I've said it before, but I'm trying to figure out how to manage switching my residence to Indiana because of this (I live on campus at my school, otherwise, I'd have done it already).

[/rant]

Wow . . . I think I need to switch to decaf.
cougar_guy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 15:57   #3
mpholic

None of this surprises me in the least.

1. Did the guy visiting Massachusetts forget where he was? Did the Smith & Wesson employee forget how things got that way?

2. Does Albany, NY have any laws against transporting handguns through their city? I didn't think they did but I sure wouldn't travel through New York until I was absolutely sure of it. As wrong as it may be for this to have happened to her it is ultimately her responsibility to check the lagality of anything she does. I have never felt like air travel with a handgun is a good idea. I don't care how many airlines say it is OK, I don't care how many people say they have done it with no problems, just too many unknowns. I made a recent trip (and will be making many more) to a very gun friendly state where my son attends college. BEFORE I bagan the trip I did exhaustive research on as many of the states and munincipalities handgun laws as I could find. Any more trips to his school will be done along the exact same route. Followup research will also be done at regular intervals.

3. Cook County passing another gun ordnance? Surprise, Surprise. Maybe I am way off base here but how do you fight a corrupt local government? If the local government is winning elections by hook or by crook what good are rallys and protests?

Yes, you're point of Indiana residents being complacent due to our gun friendly environment is well taken.

Last edited by mpholic; 02-17-2007 at 15:59..
mpholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 17:43   #4
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpholic
None of this surprises me in the least.

1. --- snip ---

2. Does Albany, NY have any laws against transporting handguns through their city? I didn't think they did but I sure wouldn't travel through New York until I was absolutely sure of it. As wrong as it may be for this to have happened to her it is ultimately her responsibility to check the lagality of anything she does. --- snip ---

I believe (someone please correct me if I am wrong) but air travel falls under federal when it comes to traveling with a firearm. I remember reading something awhile back about the feds slapping the wrist of the police in NYC for preventing a person from continuing his flight with a firearm. I think this comes under the peacable journy law.
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 21:55   #5
IronHorseman

E-mail message

From: jmtomes@(jmtomes) Date: Sat, Feb 17, 2007, 9:13pm To: "Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@webtv.net Subject: Guest at Patriot meeting
___ I just had a nice conversation with the lady who got tangled up with the Albany N.Y. sheriff's office that took her gun while she was traveling,finger printed, photographed and arrested her while complying with all of TSA rules.
_
___ Joyce is her name and she is going to be at our February 2nd Amendment Patriots meeting this coming Saturday on the 24th. at 6:00 PM._
_
___ I know we will have our "auction night" at that meeting and I hope all of you will come and bring those items you'd like to sell or trade or whatever.
_
___ This lady is very articulate and her story is one of horror that I think all of you need to hear in person._ Margie and I have not met her but only talked to her on the phone._ She is very excited to meet our group and share her experience._ YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS THIS!!
_
___ I have had a phone conversation with some folks who have the abiltiy to help this lady and is willing to do so._
_
___ This is a text book classic example_of out of control injustice._ You need to hear what this lady went through at that airport, especially you ladies.
_
___
Jim and Margie
2nd Amendment Patriots
STAY UNITED
www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org

IronHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:18   #6
jmb79

Quote:
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
I think this comes under the peacable journy law.
There is no such things as a national "peaceable journey law." Some individual states may have laws that permit individuals to have firearms when they otherwise could not have firearms if they person can show that s/he is travelling. Texas is an example of such a state or at least it was before they became a CCW state. I lived there before they got CCW and don't know their current law.
jmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:30   #7
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmb79
There is no such things as a national "peaceable journey law." Some individual states may have laws that permit individuals to have firearms when they otherwise could not have firearms if they person can show that s/he is travelling. Texas is an example of such a state or at least it was before they became a CCW state. I lived there before they got CCW and don't know their current law.
I beg to differ with you.

THE GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968, PUBLIC LAW 90-618
TITLE 18, UNITED STATES CODE, CHAPTER 44

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a
State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise
prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall
be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may
lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is
unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily
accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such
transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment
separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained
in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
(Added Pub.L. 99-360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

And the letter supporting interstate travel via airports:

http://www.nraila.org/images/DOJltrTSA.pdf
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:17   #8
KSFreeman
Broken Member

jmb, yes, there is and it has been around since the FOPA of 1986.

Good examples of why we must fight the anti-civil rights lobby tooth and nail.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:40   #9
Minuteman
Jeff Gannon???

There is a peacable journey law, but it does not apply if the destination is illegal. If NY says bringing a gun in to the state is illegal, that's it.
Peacable journey would only apply if you traveled through without delay to a legal destination. NY doesn't care, if they catch you, your welcome to expalin it to a judge.

This is the main reason I can not live in NY (even though I would make lots of money there)

"The Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions...A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, shall not be infringed" - Constitution for the U.S.A.
Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 14:04   #10
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
Her destination was not in New York; that's just where her flight ended. Her destination was Vermont.

Obviously the law is on her side, but that doesn't stop petty bureaucrats and their law enforcement lackeys from arresting people at their whim. The worst that can happen to them is that the person unjustly arrested doesn't go to jail, after spending a lot of their own money to prove they were innocent of wrong doing. It's yet another case of guilty until proven innocent.
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 14:58   #11
Minuteman
Jeff Gannon???

Quote:
Originally posted by rhino465
Her destination was not in New York; that's just where her flight ended. Her destination was Vermont.

Obviously the law is on her side, but that doesn't stop petty bureaucrats and their law enforcement lackeys from arresting people at their whim. The worst that can happen to them is that the person unjustly arrested doesn't go to jail, after spending a lot of their own money to prove they were innocent of wrong doing. It's yet another case of guilty until proven innocent.
No, I disagree. The law is not on her side. If you fly into NY with a gun they will arrest you when you land. I know, I travel there for work, and then onto another state and I cannont bring my gun. I would be arrested, like her, unless you change planes without touching your luggage. If you pick up your luggage with a gun in NY, your now a criminal. Probably a felon.

The peacable journey law requires direct travel without delay. If she had driven the whole way thru stopping ONLY for gas till she left the state, then yes. Get off a plane, pick up luggage, rent car... no. That would not fit the current interpretation I have read. I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at holiday inn express last night.

"The Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions...A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, shall not be infringed" - Constitution for the U.S.A.

Last edited by Minuteman; 02-18-2007 at 15:02..
Old 02-20-2007, 04:45   #12
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
Quote:
Originally posted by Minuteman
No, I disagree. The law is not on her side. If you fly into NY with a gun they will arrest you when you land. I know, I travel there for work, and then onto another state and I cannont bring my gun. I would be arrested, like her, unless you change planes without touching your luggage. If you pick up your luggage with a gun in NY, your now a criminal. Probably a felon.
The fact that New York municipalities are abusing people this way does not mean they are acting within the law. They are not. The problem is that they can get away with it because they are agents of the state and virtually unaccountable for their own misdeeds and crime.

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuteman

The peacable journey law requires direct travel without delay. If she had driven the whole way thru stopping ONLY for gas till she left the state, then yes. Get off a plane, pick up luggage, rent car... no. That would not fit the current interpretation I have read. I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at holiday inn express last night.
I think the interpretation you read is wrong. It would be impossible to apply the law to people driving across the country otherwise, as they will have to stop to stay in hotels along the way. None of the things you mentioned is undue delay.
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:07   #13
jmb79

Yes, I am familiar with the quoted federal law. I should have been more clear and stated, as Minuteman now has, that there is a federal peacable jouney law in name only. The local laws of the state, municipality, etc. though which one is travelling, contol what the local authorities do with you and your firearm.

If you get off the plane in NY and take possession of you baggage containing one or more firearms, you are subject to the laws of NY regarding possession of firearms. Your ultimate travel destination is of no consequence.

Do I think the laws of NY regarding firearms possession and ownership are good laws? Of course I do not. However, I will always inform myself of the laws that are in place anywhere I take a firearm. To not do so is foolish.
jmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:51   #14
Minuteman
Jeff Gannon???

When in doubt, look it up.

From packing.org

New York (state):

Date updated: Aug 5, 2005 @ 11:01 pm

There is no provision in the law for any non-resident of New York to possess a handgun in any context that does not involve participation at a sanctioned match (with a program) or a gun exhibition outside of New York City (See Penal Law §§ 265.20[13], 265.20[13-a]). The only relief travelers are offered is the federal exclusion (18 USC §926A). It is advisable that the gun transporter have a copy of this statute on their person while traveling, since many police officers in the state are not aware of this regulation (even though it became law in 1986). Make sure that the handgun is not accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

http://www.packing.org/state/new_yor...eace_journ_law

-----------------------------------------

Federal Law:
US Code
TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A Prev | Next

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...6---A000-.html

Pick up bag with gun in front of a cop in NY and you go to jail. This law was written in 1986, that is how it has always been interpreted.

Last edited by Minuteman; 02-20-2007 at 06:04..