SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2007, 18:59   #51
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelybarg
i was looking for the rule that says if you got a carry permit, you no longer need to get purchase permits, cant seem to find it in writing, though i know i've seen it before. can someone hook me up?

as far as where to live, durham is ok. i've been in durham (east side) for 3 years. i dont mind it. nice neighborhood, low crime from what i've seen. my bud's a DPD cop, who keeps busy, but not in my area. i'm a cop in a different county. cary and raleigh got just as much crime as anywhere else. i will move out of durham when my kids get of age to go to school.

only bad issue with durham... its the only county in the state with mandatory handgun registration. and the registration is public record (i got more pals in DCSO).

off topic...how come when the ccw permit became able to replace a purchase permit, why didnt they include LEO's?
It's in here.
http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

And they didn't include LEOs because NC law states LEOs can purchase a gun without a permit anyway.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 19:41   #52
Nelybarg
NC Glocker 30

Quote:
Originally posted by Glocks&Ducs
It's in here.
http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

And they didn't include LEOs because NC law states LEOs can purchase a gun without a permit anyway.

thanks for the link. as far as i know, i can only buy without a permit with a letter from the chief, for duty purposes.
Nelybarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 20:10   #53
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelybarg
thanks for the link. as far as i know, i can only buy without a permit with a letter from the chief, for duty purposes.
I never looked into it before, not being LEO. But from reading the link I provided, all you have to do is declare the gun is going to be used for official duties and you can purchase using your LEO credentials. Otherwise, you have to get a permit. Also, I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but apparently LEO can apply for and get a concealed carry permit(aren't you allowed to carry concealed already anyway?). And if you got a CCW permit, you would not need to get a permit for each purchase(official duty or not), just like anyone else that has a concealed carry permit.

"The requirement for obtaining a permit before purchasing or receiving a handgun does
not apply to law enforcement officers of North Carolina, who are authorized by law to carry
firearms. To use such an exemption, however, the law enforcement officer must identify
himself to the vendor or donor as being a law enforcement officer authorized to carry
firearms, and further state that the purpose for the weapon is directly related to his official
duties. Law enforcement officers need to be aware that if the purchase of the weapon is not
directly related to the law enforcement officer's official duties, they would be required to
obtain a permit prior to the receipt of the weapon."
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 22:01   #54
Nelybarg
NC Glocker 30

correct. i dont need a CCW permit to carry concealed. i'm covered under my job. the only benefit for me to get a CCW is to buy guns without having to get a purchase permit.

if i wanted to, i can get a chief to do me a letter and i can buy without a permit, but its up to the dealer, and it has to be for duty purposes. if i want one for fun, i gotta get a permit.

thats what makes no sense about not including LEO's in the exemption. the reasoning given to CCW permit holders was that they've already passed a background check, they dont need a purchase permit.

conversely, LEO's also passed a background check, but we still gotta get purchase permits.
Nelybarg is offline   Reply With Quote