Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:39   #41
geekboy
Glock Lover

Quote:
Originally posted by WinstonSmith
You're right that it would be clearer not to reference other sections, but that opens the possibility of conflicting with another section. I think the referencing is to avoid such a conflict..... but it doesn't work very well.

On the language issue, I think you are equating the circumstantial "exception" to an exemption. In one case, the CCW holder is allowed by that section of the law to carry. In the other instance, LEOs are not covered by the law at all.
Well, unfortunately, I now know about the declared emergency situation. I just can't believe the riot clause that you can't be in the "vicinity". (Not to open up that discussion.)

In any event, N.C. is doing what most State's call Emergency Powers and which suspend Habeas Corpus. Speaking of that... I'd hate to be arrested under that provision, N.C. 14-288.7, during an emergency. Because Habeas Corpus is suspended, you could spend 30, 60, 90, 180 days in jail. Look at those fokls in Louisiana who spent way too much time in jail, because of the hurricane and the resulting collapse (failure) of the government.

I hope this never happens in N.C. or Florida. Just read below... how the folks arrested for misdemeanors -- and some shouldn't have been arrested at all because the charge was not prosecutable -- were left in the prisons for 6 months!

Quote:
The New Orleans criminal justice system collapsed after Hurricane Katrina, resulting in a constitutional crisis. Eight thousand people, mostly indigent and charged with misdemeanors such as public drunkenness or failure to pay traffic tickets, languished indefinitely in state prisons. The court system shut its doors, the police department fell into disarray, few prosecutors remained, and a handful of public defenders could not meet with, much less represent, the thousands detained. This dire situation persisted for many months, long after the system should have been able to recover.

Glock 19
Glock 26

Last edited by geekboy; 02-19-2007 at 07:42..
geekboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:30   #42
10mmFeeder
Dismember

Quote:
Originally posted by Dinky
I live in Durham, I have a permit to carry----------No problem
I think everyone who is downing Durham is bad mouthing the area, not carry issues in Durham. Any of you Durham downers ever been to the South Pointe area? Yeah, real nightmare...If you say Downtown Durham sucks I will agree 100%, but its not fair to generalize.
10mmFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:09   #43
Dinky
aka the Dik

Quote:
Originally posted by 10mmFeeder
I think everyone who is downing Durham is bad mouthing the area, not carry issues in Durham. Any of you Durham downers ever been to the South Pointe area? Yeah, real nightmare...If you say Downtown Durham sucks I will agree 100%, but its not fair to generalize.

I have lived in the Durham area for 22 years and have no regrets.
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:18   #44
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

There are nice areas in Durham. The problem is that you are always within a stone's throw distance of a crackhead no matter how nice it is.
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.
obxemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:37   #45
10mmFeeder
Dismember

Quote:
Originally posted by obxemt
There are nice areas in Durham. The problem is that you are always within a stone's throw distance of a crackhead no matter how nice it is.
Do you work in or around Durham?
10mmFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40   #46
Dinky
aka the Dik

Quote:

Very true, but I know what areas to stay out of most of the time.
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:03   #47
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Quote:
Originally posted by 10mmFeeder
Do you work in or around Durham?
I don't work there, but I have business contacts there. In the last three years I've been to Durham probably a dozen times, maybe 15. If things work out the way I hope they do, I'll be moving to the area in July and spending all my time in Durham, but I promise you I won't live there!
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.
obxemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 00:20   #48
Jasper007

From the county in NC that I live in, may help?

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/...un+Permits.htm

Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jasper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:03   #49
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Sorry, you're simply wrong. Shen sheriff's offices issue permits (purchase and CCW) they're doing alot more than a NICS check.
I'm not wrong. The only requirements a Sheriff needs to issue someone a purchase permit, is to perform a NICS check and be satisfied that you are of good moral character. If you have no criminal record whatsoever, and NICS reflects that, the Sheriff can use that as proof of good moral character. Am I saying that every single person who doesn't have a record is an angel? Nope. But legally that is all he needs. If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be counties where you can apply for a permit and walk out in 20 minutes with as many as five at a time. No BS moral character references to fill out. I have been to gun shows, where you can apply for permits, and get them on the spot. The Sheriff just needs a couple minutes to call in the NICS check. I personally got two permits and bought two guns at a gun show this way.

All that 3 character reference bullcrap is just that. You can walk down the street and find any idiot to sign those for you, and the person calling on the Sheriff's behalf wouldn't ever know the difference. They aren't proving a damn thing. Those are local Sheriff imposed character references and they are a waste of time.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 19:50   #50
Nelybarg
NC Glocker 30

i was looking for the rule that says if you got a carry permit, you no longer need to get purchase permits, cant seem to find it in writing, though i know i've seen it before. can someone hook me up?

as far as where to live, durham is ok. i've been in durham (east side) for 3 years. i dont mind it. nice neighborhood, low crime from what i've seen. my bud's a DPD cop, who keeps busy, but not in my area. i'm a cop in a different county. cary and raleigh got just as much crime as anywhere else. i will move out of durham when my kids get of age to go to school.

only bad issue with durham... its the only county in the state with mandatory handgun registration. and the registration is public record (i got more pals in DCSO).

off topic...how come when the ccw permit became able to replace a purchase permit, why didnt they include LEO's?
Nelybarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 19:59   #51
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelybarg
i was looking for the rule that says if you got a carry permit, you no longer need to get purchase permits, cant seem to find it in writing, though i know i've seen it before. can someone hook me up?

as far as where to live, durham is ok. i've been in durham (east side) for 3 years. i dont mind it. nice neighborhood, low crime from what i've seen. my bud's a DPD cop, who keeps busy, but not in my area. i'm a cop in a different county. cary and raleigh got just as much crime as anywhere else. i will move out of durham when my kids get of age to go to school.

only bad issue with durham... its the only county in the state with mandatory handgun registration. and the registration is public record (i got more pals in DCSO).

off topic...how come when the ccw permit became able to replace a purchase permit, why didnt they include LEO's?
It's in here.
http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

And they didn't include LEOs because NC law states LEOs can purchase a gun without a permit anyway.
Old 02-25-2007, 20:41   #52
Nelybarg
NC Glocker 30

Quote:
Originally posted by Glocks&Ducs
It's in here.
http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

And they didn't include LEOs because NC law states LEOs can purchase a gun without a permit anyway.

thanks for the link. as far as i know, i can only buy without a permit with a letter from the chief, for duty purposes.
Old 02-25-2007, 21:10   #53
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelybarg
thanks for the link. as far as i know, i can only buy without a permit with a letter from the chief, for duty purposes.
I never looked into it before, not being LEO. But from reading the link I provided, all you have to do is declare the gun is going to be used for official duties and you can purchase using your LEO credentials. Otherwise, you have to get a permit. Also, I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but apparently LEO can apply for and get a concealed carry permit(aren't you allowed to carry concealed already anyway?). And if you got a CCW permit, you would not need to get a permit for each purchase(official duty or not), just like anyone else that has a concealed carry permit.

"The requirement for obtaining a permit before purchasing or receiving a handgun does
not apply to law enforcement officers of North Carolina, who are authorized by law to carry
firearms. To use such an exemption, however, the law enforcement officer must identify
himself to the vendor or donor as being a law enforcement officer authorized to carry
firearms, and further state that the purpose for the weapon is directly related to his official
duties. Law enforcement officers need to be aware that if the purchase of the weapon is not
directly related to the law enforcement officer's official duties, they would be required to
obtain a permit prior to the receipt of the weapon."
Old 02-25-2007, 23:01   #54
Nelybarg
NC Glocker 30

correct. i dont need a CCW permit to carry concealed. i'm covered under my job. the only benefit for me to get a CCW is to buy guns without having to get a purchase permit.

if i wanted to, i can get a chief to do me a letter and i can buy without a permit, but its up to the dealer, and it has to be for duty purposes. if i want one for fun, i gotta get a permit.

thats what makes no sense about not including LEO's in the exemption. the reasoning given to CCW permit holders was that they've already passed a background check, they dont need a purchase permit.

conversely, LEO's also passed a background check, but we still gotta get purchase permits.