Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:00   #1
gjwheels

Ohio CCW renewal

I have an Ohio concealed carry license that expires in April of 2008.
I realize I have a year to go, but I was wondering if proceedures are in place to handle renewal requests. I heard from someone in the Clermont County Sherrifs department that it may be necessary to re-pass the test. I assume that is just for range time and not the entire class. Can any shed some light on this? Thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 14:25   #2
pjb829
Go Bengals!

There is nothing in the law mandating that a test be retaken in order to renew your license. The caveat is that your original training must have occurred within the last six years. So, everybody gets one free renewal, and then they have to go out and take another 12 hour CCW course.

Pete.
pjb829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 17:03   #3
Debob
CLM Number 28
Charter Lifetime Member

You don't take the full 12hours, you need the last part about the laws,that have changed:the test portion,and the range portion.
Debob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 19:43   #4
pjb829
Go Bengals!

Quote:
Originally posted by Debob
You don't take the full 12hours, you need the last part about the laws,that have changed:the test portion,and the range portion.
Debob, you are mistaken about the test and range portion for a license renewal, it is not mandated in the law.

Quote:
Ohio Revised Code Section 2923.125.F

(F) A licensee who wishes to renew a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this seciton shall do so within thirty days after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a new color photograph of the licensee that was taken within thirty days prior to the date of the renewal application, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 [109.73.1] of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, a new set of fingerprints provided in the manner specified in division (D)(4) of section 2923.125 [2923.12.5] of the Revised Code regarding initial applications for a license to carry a concealed handgun, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee unless the fee is waived. The licensee also shall submit a competency certification of the type described in division (B)(3) of this section that is not older than six years or a renewed competency certification of the type described in division (G)(4) of this section that is not older than six years.
pjb829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 23:24   #5
A_Fletcher
Yardwork Ninja

That kind of sucks that you have to take the class all over again.
A_Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:40   #6
gjwheels

Thanks to all. I knew where to go for the straight "skinny". Mine expires in April 2008, one of the first to apply.