SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-26-2007, 19:56   #1
WhatYouWant
Duh!

North Star

Ok, I asked my native MN wife what the heck North Star has to do with Minnesota and all she could tell me was a hockey team So, its your chance to school me!

And, I need a few good places to go, preferably near Isle or Owatonna. Wife is trying to take me to the MoA but I must resist. It'll be a driving trip from Florida I think (might fly but I hate flying).
Florida Glockers #1978
Black Rifle Club #1978
TT #1978
WhatYouWant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:54   #2
rocco123

The Star of the North is Minnesota's nickname/motto. I think it was something given by the French. “L'Etoile du Nord” meaning star of the north.
rocco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 20:33   #3
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Re: North Star

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatYouWant
And, I need a few good places to go, preferably near Isle or Owatonna. Wife is trying to take me to the MoA but I must resist. It'll be a driving trip from Florida I think (might fly but I hate flying).
Well, there's a nifty little Cabella's store on the north side of Owatonna, if you've never been to a Cabella's, it's well worth an hour just to see the critters, lots of clothes and stuff for the wife too. To the north, and little west of Faribault there is Ahlman's gun shop.

There's a gun show at Wells, MN. next weekend.....when ya coming up?

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 17:50   #4
WhatYouWant
Duh!

Re: Re: North Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Butch
Well, there's a nifty little Cabella's store on the north side of Owatonna, if you've never been to a Cabella's, it's well worth an hour just to see the critters, lots of clothes and stuff for the wife too. To the north, and little west of Faribault there is Ahlman's gun shop.

There's a gun show at Wells, MN. next weekend.....when ya coming up?

Cabella's, check! Will be going there. The closest one to me know is in the Atlanta area (and Atlanta sucks).

Wife wants Mall of America (she has been many times...me none). I am trying to keep away from that place.

Coming up sometime between 18 JUN 2007 and 29 JUN 2007. Must attend wedding in the middle in Iowa. Wife was born in Owatonna and has been trying to get me to go up there.

I need to work on the accept, Yeh? Oh Yah.
Florida Glockers #1978
Black Rifle Club #1978
TT #1978
Old 03-06-2007, 07:01   #5
rocco123

Mall of America isn't too bad. But it has it's fair share of gangsta wannabes. Feels more secure when carrying.........
rocco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 13:48   #6
paper killer
NRA Member

I am in Owatonna. Have lived here 20 years. Once it gets closer to the dates you are here in June, we can try to make contact and so some shooting if you like. The range just north of Owatonna is by membership only, but the range at Ahlmans does allow shooting by the day. Cabelas is a good stop--lots to see and buy. Ahlmans is okay, but they have a lot of old guns as part of their advertised 1000 guns available. And several of these are junk and should not even be for sale. They do not have much for new inventory.
Owatonna is a very nice stop for a couple of days (as I am sure your wife already knows).
As for things to do all MOA, there is nothing gun oriented. We are going there for a couple days the end of this month for spring break--namely water park of America across the street from MOA. If you do have to go to MOA, you might want to try out the NASCAR racing place and the place where you can fly F-18 flight simulator. I have not yet done those but will be doing so when the rest of the crew is shopping at MOA when we are up there.
Rimfire Club #1027
Wheelhouse Club #1027
40 S&W Club #2710
paper killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 19:52   #7
WhatYouWant
Duh!

Quote:
Originally posted by paper killer
I am in Owatonna. Have lived here 20 years. Once it gets closer to the dates you are here in June, we can try to make contact and so some shooting if you like. The range just north of Owatonna is by membership only, but the range at Ahlmans does allow shooting by the day. Cabelas is a good stop--lots to see and buy. Ahlmans is okay, but they have a lot of old guns as part of their advertised 1000 guns available. And several of these are junk and should not even be for sale. They do not have much for new inventory.
Owatonna is a very nice stop for a couple of days (as I am sure your wife already knows).
As for things to do all MOA, there is nothing gun oriented. We are going there for a couple days the end of this month for spring break--namely water park of America across the street from MOA. If you do have to go to MOA, you might want to try out the NASCAR racing place and the place where you can fly F-18 flight simulator. I have not yet done those but will be doing so when the rest of the crew is shopping at MOA when we are up there.
Wife just missed (I think) the filming of Angus at the high school. Her friend got to be in the band. Happen to be in the HS then?

Basically, wife wants MoA. So I must provide. Must visit Isle. So we will likely drive through Owatonna, stop for a few, and then go north. Can't make it a shooting trip (wife is with the owning but doesn't want to do it).
Florida Glockers #1978
Black Rifle Club #1978
TT #1978
Old 03-15-2007, 19:40   #8
paper killer
NRA Member

I am too old to have been in High School during the filming, but I was in town then. Cool stuff. I work at Federated Insurance and was working there at that time also. I work with a few folks who were either in school during that time or have kids going to school during that time. I think that was about 1995 or so. If you are comfortable doing so, if you want to mention your wife's maiden name I will check to see if she knew a couple of these folks (last name of a couple are Fix and Bretl).
I understand about not being able to shoot at all. Might want to give the flying or driving at the MOA a try.
Rimfire Club #1027
Wheelhouse Club #1027
40 S&W Club #2710
paper killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 20:22   #9
WhatYouWant
Duh!

Quote:
Originally posted by paper killer
I am too old to have been in High School during the filming, but I was in town then. Cool stuff. I work at Federated Insurance and was working there at that time also. I work with a few folks who were either in school during that time or have kids going to school during that time. I think that was about 1995 or so. If you are comfortable doing so, if you want to mention your wife's maiden name I will check to see if she knew a couple of these folks (last name of a couple are Fix and Bretl).
I understand about not being able to shoot at all. Might want to give the flying or driving at the MOA a try.
My MIL worked for Federated Credit Union (maybe said right). Last name O'Leary.
Florida Glockers #1978
Black Rifle Club #1978
TT #1978