SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-26-2007, 16:23   #1
jcbarlow
Glock 27

New poster to GT

Hey guys. Just wanted to introduce myself. I don't have a Glock yet but will soon be buying one. Pretty sure on the G17. I will let you know when I get it and post some pics. Mostly just wanted to say "hi". I am also trying to get my username changed to Cougar Dodger. So if you see it in the future, that's me!
jcbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 18:19   #2
Sambolijah

Welcome. Glad to have you on the forum.

Do you go to school at the Y?
Old 02-26-2007, 19:30   #3
GixxerSixxer
Phil Deez Nutz

Welcome

Come try out a UDPL pistol or 3-gun-match sometime. They're addictive and fun.
GixxerSixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 21:07   #4
Timpinutah

The "Fun Shoots" at RangeMasters are also great. Next one will be Wednesday, March 7. Go to the following website for details:
http://www.udpl.net/results/FunShoot/index.html
Old 02-26-2007, 22:59   #5
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

Quote:
Originally posted by GixxerSixxer
Welcome

Come try out a UDPL pistol or 3-gun-match sometime. They're addictive and fun.
Gixxer,

I've probably met you at the UDPL matches, but don't know you by your screen name. Please PM me your real name so I don't feel like such an idiot. I promise not to blow your GT cover.

Did you shoot the recent handgun match? Did you like the new walls in the Gulch and Corral 2 (I think).

Thanks!

Koski

PS - Welcome to Glockdom JC.
Steve Koski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:42   #6
jcbarlow
Glock 27

Thanks guys

Thanks for the hearty welcome. I have been reading about the udpl shoots and the fun shoots at rangemasters. As soon as I get my G17 and get my feet wet a little, I would definitely like to try it out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sambolijah
Welcome. Glad to have you on the forum.

Do you go to school at the Y?
I graduated from BYU two years ago, but don't hold that against me. Just kidding. I liked it there.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:39   #7
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

I like your avatar.

Glad to have you.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:59   #8
jcbarlow
Glock 27

Thanks

Thanks again for all of your responses. Just a quick favor to ask. I have shot the G22 and I really like it, but the Accountant in me says go for the G17 because of cheaper ammo. I do like the full sized glocks but will go to rangemasters to try out the compacts and subs before I buy. Please help me decide on the .40 or the 9mm. Not a caliber war, just your thoughts. I would like to go to rangemasters with a caliber in mind already.

To recap: I like the feel of the .40 but the price of the 9mm any insights?
Old 02-27-2007, 13:10   #9
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

I have a G19 (9mm) and a G27 (.40).

Personally I would recommend a 9mm, for several reasons. The ammo is cheaper, which means you will probably practice more, which means your hits will count and mean more. The recoil tends to be a little less, so you can shoot quicker. You get a couple more rounds.

The differences in calibers "stopping power" like this is so insignificant that it's not going to be a factor in 99.999% of cases.

I don't think you can lose with either, but I would recommend a 9mm for a new shooter... I don't feel undergunned when I carry my G19. It will get the job done if you do your part.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 15:38   #10
UtahIrishman
BLR

I concur with RMTactical. My first Glock was a G17 and it is a great choice.

Welcome aboard

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 18:58   #11
GixxerSixxer
Phil Deez Nutz

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by jcbarlow
Thanks again for all of your responses. Just a quick favor to ask. I have shot the G22 and I really like it, but the Accountant in me says go for the G17 because of cheaper ammo. I do like the full sized glocks but will go to rangemasters to try out the compacts and subs before I buy. Please help me decide on the .40 or the 9mm. Not a caliber war, just your thoughts. I would like to go to rangemasters with a caliber in mind already.

To recap: I like the feel of the .40 but the price of the 9mm any insights?
The G17 is good place to start. It's best to shoot both the G17 and G22 if you can. The G-19 is also a good compromise between a CCW gun and a range plinker, it can easily pull double duty. The grip on the G-19 isn't so small that the gun tries to back-flip out of your hand when plinking.

The .40 tends to have more snap to it, some people don't like it while others prefer it as opposed to a "push" that the .45 gives. When I shoot the 9mm I feel the recoil in the web of my hand. I actually can't shoot a lot of 9 or my hands hurts. My 9x18 P64 is worse on the web of the hand than 9 but felt recoil wise I prefer the .40.

You could still go with the .40 and just buy a P22 to practice with (then you'd have 2 guns ). The .22lr is a lot cheaper than .40 or 9mm. Girls love the P22 too.
GixxerSixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 16:55   #12
wthomas

I bought a LoneWolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G22 so I can still shoot the cheaper ammo and have my .40.
wthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 00:14   #13
reerc
Just a member

Go to RangeMasters and rent a 9 and a 40 and punch some holes in some targets with both.

No matter what you read here, that's really the only significant test; which one will fit & feel better in your hand.

I personally feel too big a deal is made over both the recoil and the cost of the ammo in the ubiquitous 9 v. 40 debate. In an ideal world (and probably in your world in a few years, you just wait) you'll have one or more of each caliber anyway.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:48   #14
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

No way! If you're going to get two Glocks, get them in the same cartridge. This keeps life simple.
Steve Koski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 13:37   #15
jcbarlow
Glock 27

Good advice

As soon as I get the money for the purchase(should be in the next week or so), I will go to Rangemasters and try a bunch out. I'm pretty sure I will stick with the 9mm so I will try the 17, 19 and 26. I'm thinking the 9mm since I am relatively new to handguns and I'm an accountant so even a couple of bucks saved makes sense to me. I'll for sure let you guys know and show some pics as soon as I get one. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-02-2007, 18:56   #16
ElConquistador

The 9mm is a good choice, especially for your first gun. Ammo is so cheap it's not really even worth reloading. Plus, there are some pretty hot 9mm loads from cor-bon etc.

Chances are you will like the feel of either the 19 or 17 better than the other one. I'd probably not pick the 26 as a first gun, but that's just me.

Have you been in VanWags yet? They are kind of by the mall in provo or orem or wherever that is. They are the best IMHO, though some disagree.
Old 03-02-2007, 20:28   #17
reerc
Just a member

Quote:
Originally posted by ElConquistador
Have you been in VanWags yet? They are kind of by the mall in provo or orem or wherever that is. They are the best IMHO, though some disagree.
Picture "The Soup Nazi" on Seinfeldt, only with guns.

As you may have guessed, I'm one of those who "disagree."
Old 03-02-2007, 20:46   #18
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

Quote:
Originally posted by reerc
That's a very good analogy!
Old 03-02-2007, 22:26   #19
Gibbles

I know how reerc feels, I had alot of problems with a guy over at Impact guns, Recently I have gone into there for items I would of had to order online and I'm getting the feeling they are trying to change their ways, bunch of new blood in there and I'm starting to feel welcome for once. But I would rather spend money at places like FBMG that host a shoot every April, and are all around good people. This year there is talk of a coyote caller and a grenade launcher... I missed last years shoot and it looked like they had alot of fun, so this year I'm going no matter what. And I think Iíll pick up that sagia after just as a small way to say thanks. (and I really want one)
Gibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:12   #20
jcbarlow
Glock 27

Me too

Quote:
Originally posted by reerc

As you may have guessed, I'm one of those who "disagree."
I, too, have had a bad experience at Van Wag's. Last year I purchased a muzzleloader and let's just say that after a few minutes there, I didn't purchace my rifle from them.

I am also one who "disagrees".