SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2007, 15:45   #1
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Life threatening shooting

What is the distance here in MI when a shooting is said to be life threatening and therefore legal? Isn't it 7 feet or, was it 7 yards?
Old 03-06-2007, 16:24   #2
COBRA90GT

Where did you hear about this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 16:25   #3
MC350

It's 7 yds., but that still doesn't mean it's legal to shoot just because the threath is less than 21'. Many other factors also come into play. You might want to look into some classes that are sponsored by lawyers familiar with what a real threath is.....The 7 yd distance is not a rule either. It basically means that your greatest chances of being attacked within 21' can happen in about 1.5 seconds..and you need to make a decision.....

Last edited by MC350; 03-06-2007 at 16:28..
MC350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 17:19   #4
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally posted by COBRA90GT
Where did you hear about this?
This was brought up during my first CLP class, then again when I renewed a couple years ago. There were cops and lawyers at both.
Old 03-06-2007, 17:25   #5
MC350

This is a very difficult subject to address. You really won't know the right decision until the incident is upon you. The attornies can give you good examples or ideas but until that time comes, nobody knows for sure how you'll react...
Old 03-06-2007, 17:38   #6
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Last edited by Generalcarry; 03-06-2007 at 17:42..
Generalcarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 17:40   #7
Generalcarry
NRA Member

There has to be limits and this is what the state uses as a benchmark. I don't care to participate in any "what ifs" and just asking for the correct distance because of another thread I seen. Thankfully this is a good place for information and once again saved me a lot of research!
Old 03-06-2007, 18:18   #8
umc
CLM Number 6
"Piece" of Mind

Not sure what 7 yards has to do with anything. If someone is shooting a rifle at me from 100 yards, you best believe that I'll be firing back.
Old 03-06-2007, 20:18   #9
MC350

Quote:
Originally posted by umc
Not sure what 7 yards has to do with anything. If someone is shooting a rifle at me from 100 yards, you best believe that I'll be firing back.
Many CPL classes discuss 21' as the minimum distance that you need to make a decision whether to shoot or not at your attacker, because anything less than that only takes a second for your attacker to harm you. In that one and a half seconds, you also need to think about if this is a truly justifiable shooting. As I mentioned before, you won't know until it really happens. Carrying a concealed pistol is a awesome responsibility when you start thinking of all the consequences if you make a poor or hasty decision even if you think you're right. A very good book to read on these types of choices is called "IN THE GRAVEST EXTREME" by Massad Ayoob (about $12). It talks about the gun and CCW. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is going to carry......
Old 03-06-2007, 21:41   #10
RS2

The 21' rule is one of tactical philosophy ONLY, and refers to the point at which an attacker with a deadly weapon, i.e., a knife, can get to you before you can draw and hit him.

There is absolutely NO RULE under Michigan law that expressly acknowledges a specific distance at which a threat becomes lethal.

There are far too many factors that go into the analysis of what constitutes an threat that justifies deadly force to go into.

If you think that someone at your CPL class actually told you that there is a rule of law in Michigan that specifies such a distance, either you misunderstood what was said or the speaker was just wrong.

G26 / G19 / G30
RS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 21:46   #11
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

There isn't anything in the law that specifies a certain distance, but what your instructor was talking about is the Tueller Drill. Basically, its accepted that anyone within 21 feet/7 yards can get to you and do you harm (like with a knife), before you can draw your gun and fire.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8dUSqE9TDhg

The reason its mentioned, is that if someone is more than 21 feet away, I'm running if I can rather than mess with someone that far out.

This is why speed rocks are part of my practice whenever I'm at the pit. No time to draw and aim, just rock the gun out of the holster and start point shooting while blocking with the weak hand/arm.

Fine cinematic example of a speed rock:

Michigan Glockers

Visit to help!!-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by 10 Ring Tao; 03-06-2007 at 21:56..
10 Ring Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:11   #12
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
There isn't anything in the law that specifies a certain distance, but what your instructor was talking about is the Tueller Drill. Basically, its accepted that anyone within 21 feet/7 yards can get to you and do you harm (like with a knife), before you can draw your gun and fire.

The reason its mentioned, is that if someone is more than 21 feet away, I'm running if I can rather than mess with someone that far out.

This is why speed rocks are part of my practice whenever I'm at the pit. No time to draw and aim, just rock the gun out of the holster and start point shooting while blocking with the weak hand/arm.

Michigan Glockers
I love that scene.

deadite
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 16:45   #13
mikedb

what luck

Quote:
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao

Michigan Glockers

10 ring, you always seem to find the best female companions to model your hardware.
mikedb is offline   Reply With Quote