Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2007, 23:15   #1
hk p2000sk

outdoor shooting?

Does anyone know of any place where you can shoot outdoors? I heard there is a place in the phoenix, peoria area where you can shoot against the mountains? Is this legal? Thanks.
hk p2000sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 13:56   #2
k594

we have lots of places over here in verde valley that u shoot outdoors at the mountain, i felt weird at first too but my nerves were calmed when my weapons instructor led us to the exact same outdoor spot to qualify shoot,
it realy depends on the area if it obvious people have been shooting there for years you will probly be ok
go on the weekend and check it out thats best time to see if others shoot there
k594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:00   #3
Shorin-Shihan

Im interested in anywhere to shoot outdorrs legally in the NW valley
?

Thanks
Shorin-Shihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:12   #4
justaguy

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=637875
check this out.
justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 14:30   #5
cmfiii

Try Table Mesa road. I go there often and it's not bad. It's on I-17 about 11 miles north of Carefree highway. Get off the Table Mesa Road exit and turn left over bridge then right on other side of bridge onto the dirt road. About 1 mile down the road you are on state land and legal to shoot. You'll know you're in the right spot when you start seeing the kitchen appliances dumped off by the idiots of arizona. Have fun and take a little trash with you when you leave so we can keep it open.
Old 03-15-2007, 18:05   #6
slyjackalope

Quote:
Originally posted by cmfiii
Try Table Mesa road. I go there often and it's not bad. It's on I-17 about 11 miles north of Carefree highway. Get off the Table Mesa Road exit and turn left over bridge then right on other side of bridge onto the dirt road. About 1 mile down the road you are on state land and legal to shoot. You'll know you're in the right spot when you start seeing the kitchen appliances dumped off by the idiots of arizona. Have fun and take a little trash with you when you leave so we can keep it open.
From your description of the location, it looks like you are correct that this area is state trust land according Arizona State Land Department maps.

http://www.land.state.az.us/images/maps/stateplot.jpg

As such, you not only need a permit to enter onto this land, you cannot shoot on it unless you are hunting.

"Arizona State Trust lands are not 'public lands', as are Federal lands under the management of the U.S. Forest Service or the Bureau of Land Management. Federal 'public lands' are managed for the benefit and use of the public, while State Trust lands are managed for the benefit of 14 Trust beneficiaries, which include the public schools and prisons. The Land Department's trust management responsibilities include requiring a permit or lease and charging a fee for use of Trust land. Exceptions to this requirement are licensed hunters and fishers, actively pursuing game or fish, in-season, and certain archaeological activities permitted by the Arizona State Museum."

"Activities not allowed include, but are not limited to, target shooting, sighting-in of weapons, paint ball games, fireworks, extended camping, visiting archaeological sites (historic and prehistoric), metal detecting and removal of natural products (rocks, cactus wood, soil, sand, plants, etc.)."

http://www.land.state.az.us/support/faqs.htm
slyjackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 18:20   #7
cmfiii

Upon looking into the subject some more you will find that it actually falls into the zone controlled by the Bureau of Land Managment and the US Department of Interior: (It's the tan area of your map)

"The Game and Fish Department continues to be a strong advocate for keeping public lands open to safe and responsible shooting. The Table Mesa Road area has unfortunately been the site of illegal dumping and some irresponsible use. After the cleanup, shooting groups are invited to assist the Bureau of Land Management and Game and Fish Department in educating users about safe and responsible shooting practices."

This is taken from the Game and Fish website
http://www.azgfd.gov/artman/publish/article_403.shtml

Happy Shooting!

Last edited by cmfiii; 03-15-2007 at 18:34..
cmfiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 20:04   #8
slyjackalope

Quote:
Upon looking into the subject some more you will find that it actually falls into the zone controlled by the Bureau of Land Managment and the US Department of Interior: (It's the tan area of your map)
Quote:
About 1 mile down the road you are on state land and legal to shoot.
Ok. It's your area, so I'm sure you are better aware of what part of the map "about 1 mile down the road" describes. However, why did you say it was state land if you now believe it is federal land?
slyjackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 22:52   #9
cmfiii

Point made, I originally named it incorrectly. Either way, great LEGAL place to shoot in north Phoenix.
Old 03-18-2007, 22:46   #10
vart

Off my deck

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

"Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk"
vart is offline   Reply With Quote