SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:54   #1
KSFreeman
Broken Member

Who's ramped up over DST!?!?

Yay! Early DST! Despite the resistance from those that are mystified by clock changing techniques (e.g. the farmers), we get to enjoy the benefits of DST.

It's worth reading all the moronic letters to the editor from people who cannot change their clocks to enjoy increased productivity and health, not to mention increased range opportunities for many.

Anyone else looking forward to the benefits of DST?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:35   #2
mpholic

I love DST, always have.

When we moved back here almost 20 years ago I was dissapointed they had stop using DST. Every year when they argued it in the Government I supported. I really enjoyed the extra daylight last year.

So what you lose an hour of sleep once a year. Do the math, go to sleep an hour earlier on Saturday night.
mpholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:13   #3
MakeMineaP99
Got SIG?

Has anyone done a study yet to see if DST has traumatized the cows?

The benefits of DST far outweigh any negatives. Finally, people from other states will know what time it is when they call IN, a huge benefit to those trying to conduct business from IN.

My Man Mitch!!
MakeMineaP99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:15   #4
boilergonzo

I am anti-DST. Not saying I liked being the only place (Asia, AZ,HI, and some Canadian provinces excluded) that didn't do DST (I did not). I prefer moving my clocks to what we had prior... however, Indiana had the right general idea before, and some states may revert to our old system with a dalight twist...

I do like what is happening though. As the gov't moves the dates inward more and more (we gained three weeks this spring!), we get closer to year-round DST (which is what I would prefer, all the benefits without the clock-fussing). Many states are considering such options. Effectively move a time zone east year-round, and push the daylight to the end of the day on a permenant basis without the need to have a few months where, for some strange reason, we don't WANT to "save energy", "have evening daylight", or pick a random reason... Someone needs to explain why the benefits go away in the winter. I've heard the reasons, but none resonate with me (regardless of time zone, our busses go by in the dark in the morning... moving two hours back would solve it, but short of that, the "kids in the dark" is similar to "it's for the kids" in removing handguns... sounds catchy, but isn't real... at least not for my school busses!).

I want year-round DST on a national level. We still can't solve the time zone border issue in Indiana (Cincy, L-ville, Chicago on borders... it just can't be fixed to satisfy all).
boilergonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:29   #5
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

I don't get it...

It's just a time change.. To most people it will be a tranzparent event.. the internets will change my computer time.. the verizons will change my cell phone times.. The cable companyz will change the time on my decoder box... Tivo will change the timez on my Tivo....and I don't do 19th century watches anymore so that's a non-care situation..

It's not like time OD'ed in a motel room in miami.. shortly after her son, space, OD'ed in her hospital room.. That would be newz worthy..
Old 03-09-2007, 08:33   #6
KSFreeman
Broken Member

The cows?

Other states have far greater cow density, New York or California, and their cows do just fine. Heck, cows in California make commericals telling us how happy they are with DST in California.

Never understood why the farmers were upset with DST until last year when they admitted they couldn't figure out their clocks. It wasn't the cows, it was the men--as usual.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:05   #7
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
I think DST is stupid and instead of doing it ourselves, the rest of the country should have stopped. It serves no useful purpose, and now we're doing essentially just because all the other kids are doing it.

Leave it to the British to impose their chrono-tyranny on us! I'm "on" to you, KSFreeman! If I had an emoticon for when you point to your own eyes and then at the other guy implying, "I'm watching you," I'd use it right here --->

Last edited by rhino465; 03-09-2007 at 23:19..
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:44   #8
KSFreeman
Broken Member

HAHAHAHA, you lazy, mouth-breathing, couch-sitting Americans have finally figured it out!

But it's too late, bahahawahahaha. Soon we will have you working hard and being productive and then you'll be exercising after work outside in the sunlight! Bawahahaha. I'm coming for you, your little dog and your Cheetoes, America.

I [heart] Evil.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:55   #9
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

The ONLY thing that is irritating me this time around is my bedroom alarm clock sets its own time. Last time it was on the normal DST day so it made the change for me, this time they changed the day so I don't know if my clock will figure it out (not sure it is controlled by the radio signal from the atomic clock or just a program internally) or if I will have to manually change it forward and then back when it gets to the old DST date.

I think I will be using my cell phone alarm for any important appointments in the mean time.
Epsylum (EE-SAI-LUM)
http://www.ingunowners.com
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 21:26   #10
ericXD9

I LOVE me some DST!!!

ericXD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 21:53   #11
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

Just out of curiosity - How will we know when we have been DST'ed and when is it suppose to happen..??..
Old 03-10-2007, 05:31   #12
Harlequin
I need a weapon

Quote:
Originally posted by KSFreeman
HAHAHAHA, you lazy, mouth-breathing, couch-sitting Americans have finally figured it out!

But it's too late, bahahawahahaha. Soon we will have you working hard and being productive and then you'll be exercising after work outside in the sunlight! Bawahahaha. I'm coming for you, your little dog and your Cheetoes, America.

I [heart] Evil.
At least you don't want all of our firearms, Airsoft guns, claymores, steak knives, and baseball bats. Those limey Brits would take those as well.
Big Dawg #1254: G21 and G30
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." ó The Dalai Lama, (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times) speaking in Portland, Oregon, when asked by a girl how to react when a shooter takes aim at a classmate
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:44   #13
KSFreeman
Broken Member

Har, I want your firearms, but I am willing to pay a fair price!
Old 03-11-2007, 14:02   #14
eprn
defib jockey

I'm happy with the change. I live in SE Indiana and we are not far from both Ohio and KY. Most people here work in the other two states. Different times made everything difficult--especially for parents with kids in school here.

I'm glad there is finally some temporal uniformity (I think I heard that one on Star Trek).

The only surprise is the number of people who still want to debate it. If the farmers are that confused by it, they can just leave the DVD player flashing "12:00." We'll understand.
eprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 15:00   #15
grislyAdam

I think DST is one of the stupidest concepts ever conceptualized.
What is so great about having to get up earlier in the morning for work and **poof** automatically losing an hour on the first Sunday that it starts?
I think what gets me the most is that there are people out there who actually believe that the days are now "longer". Idiots.
grislyAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 15:08   #16
Indy_Guy_77
Thread Killer

Well...

I think the whole idea of DST is pretty goofy... But, I think that our whole system of measuring time is kind of random and subjective anyway.

But, I'm glad that now at least Indiana is goofy along with most of the country instead of being goofy alone (almost alone...).

-J-
Old 03-12-2007, 06:00   #17
KSFreeman
Broken Member

grisly, what's great is increased productivity, greater business opportunities, a healthier state, and increased sales of black electrical tape to farmers who can tape over their VCRs!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:15   #18
IPDBrad

Quote:
Originally posted by boilergonzo
I want year-round DST on a national level.
I am all for that.

I love having the extra hour of daylight at the end of the day. During most of the summer I work almost my entire shift in daylight.

Forget the switching back and forth, just leave our clocks where they are at now.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:52   #19
mpholic

Quote:
Originally posted by grislyAdam
I think what gets me the most is that there are people out there who actually believe that the days are now "longer". Idiots.
I doubt too many people believe the days are longer because of DST. The daylight hours have simply shifted to later on the clock. That may mean nothing to some people but it does for me.

More daylight after I get off work. More daylight for chores around the house, more daylight for leisure activities, etc.
mpholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:39   #20
KSFreeman
Broken Member

Yeah, how can anyone think the day is longer? Have not run across that one yet.

Don't they see how dark it is when driving into work?
Old 03-12-2007, 14:34   #21
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Yeah, how can anyone think the day is longer? Have not run across that one yet.

Don't they see how dark it is when driving into work?
Since I work 3-11pm It is light out when I go in as usual and dark when I leave as usual.

It is nice for me on the weekends though.
Epsylum (EE-SAI-LUM)
http://www.ingunowners.com
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 15:42   #22
grislyAdam

"grisly, what's great is increased productivity, greater business opportunities, a healthier state, and increased sales of black electrical tape to farmers who can tape over their VCRs!"

All that just from manually moving your clocks ahead one hour, eh? Miraculous!!
You sure like to rip on farmers a lot. Most of the farmers that I knew had the internet in their home offices long before it was a household word.
grislyAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:50   #23
KSFreeman
Broken Member

I "rip" on farmers as farmers were the main opposition to DST (or rather the excuse given by ignorant members of the General Assembly). They claimed (or rather it was claimed) that DST would "confuse their cows" even though New York and California have DST and far more cows than Indiana.

Last summer the farmers finally admitted that their stance was based upon the fact that they do not know how to adjust their clocks and did not want to live with electrical tape over their clocks. Democrats quickly dropped their plans to take Indiana back off DST after this embarassing fiasco.

Yes, DST has many benefits. DST is directly responsible for job growth as corporations would finally be in synch with the East Coast (where the people are and where the money is). DST has lead to more business opportunities which will lead to even more job growth.

DST is responsible for a healthier population as more people exercise outside and spend less time indoors feeding their faces. The restaurant owners here in Lafayette were whining to the newspaper that people were out exercising and not sitting and eating. With the epidemic of self-inflicted fork-borne diseases, even now in children, anything we can do to get people to exercise instead of eat can help.

Give it "time", grisly. You will learn to love DST. I'll see you outside.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:00   #24
boilergonzo

But, again... the benefits you describe would happen if we simply observed DST year-round. We switched, but California is considering petitioning the fed for year-round daylight(and DDST - double Daylight Savings Time... shifting two hours east) effectively what we abandoned.

Every capable company in the world has a computer with time zones in it. Japan does not observe DST at all. There is a three month span as various countries change clocks on different dates. FedEx and the others are smart, and despite the old days in Indiana, the planes still landed on time (the pilots often announced it wrong, but the computers driving the system always figure it out... just like the leap three weeks forward caused all of our IT groups to scramble to push the software tweaks out).

I'm with you on the daylight at the end of the day. I just think the whole country would be better off with a permenant shift. During WWII they did just that.

I hate changing clocks. I have several automatic watches (mechanical movements). I have several cars. I have a "dumb" oven, microwave, several clock alarm radios, VCR, and home alarm system. Sure, my atomic clock switches, my cell phone, my DVR, my "smart" DVD recorder, and my PC's flip (at least the three with the date change patch). But all the other clock fiddling is an annoyance.

I don't have cows, but my dog seems to handle the change just fine. HOWEVER, there are multiple studies showing a dramatic increase in traffic accidents the day after a time switch. We are sleep conditioned, and changes in sleep habits cause problems for humans. Given that the whole country switches, I want to switch with them for continuity. However, the whole program is flawed.
boilergonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 20:23   #25
usaf207cwf

Quote:
FedEx and the others are smart, and despite the old days in Indiana, the planes still landed on time (the pilots often announced it wrong, but the computers driving the system always figure it out... just like the leap three weeks forward caused all of our IT groups to scramble to push the software tweaks out).
That is because the aviation industry (the whole industry) works on ZULU time...which never changes. The pilots always announce the time wrong because they do not know how to correctly convert ZULU to LOCAL time.

Long live DST!!!!!!!