SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-12-2007, 20:05   #1
CKP

help and or recommendation on Gun Club

Fellow Lone Star Glockers,

Newbie seeks advice on which gun club to join that re-creates real life scenarios for shooting handgun.

Pearland & 288 location.

Thanks,

CKP
CKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 22:07   #2
waltherone

Send a message via AIM to waltherone

I think you'll have to do at least a BIT of driving... luckily 288 can drop you right on 610 or beltway with very little travel, so at least it'll be a "straight shot" per say anywhere you go

While I haven't gone to many ranges in Houston, I know Top Gun (west/southwest portion of town, www.topgunrange.com) has a "Tactical Tuesdays" hosted/run by the same guy that owns Comptac holsters/belts/carry accessories. I took my CHL class there, very very nice range, lots of merchandise too.

I haven't actually been to the tactical tuesdays, but a buddy has. He said before they'll even let you come to them, you have to go to at least one of their wednesday night deals, essentially for noobies, to prove to them you're a good gun handler. By their definition of good gun handler though, it involves such things as drawing without sweeping certain areas, clearing jams, reloading, etc, without aiming the gun in certain directions, without dropping things... basically it's a soft version of getting into the Tac. Tuesdays deal. He said there's also a shooting portion, but the "kill zone" is much more small/realistic than that of the CHL shooting course... something like a 3" by 14" strip down the torso (the spinal region) and you must place certain numbers of shots into certain zones of the body. On the actual tactical tuesdays, they drill you on things like your "command voice" etc, and on the actual courses, I hear they start you off on a buzzer, at which time you begin shouting at the "enemy" down range, and upon another buzzer you draw and start firing x number of shots, they teach you to shoot while moving, etc. Teach you jam clearance while in a hurry and having to seek cover by putting dummy rounds into your mag before giving it back to you, so you don't know where in the shooting it'll actually "jam" on you.

Sounds really sweet, but I never have weeknights off so I've never actually gotten to go to one. Probly will start this summer, since hopefully I'll be working less (right now is two jobs and college, I barely have enough free time to sleep.)

There's also Pearland Shooting Club down in the SE side of town somewhere, I've never been there either (I usually shoot at a little place in friendswood, very relaxed rules, rapid fire, draw from holster, whatever so long as they don't get them impression you're goofing off). Maybe can give PSC a call and ask what they've got?
http://www.psc-range.com/

Welcome to the board by the way

Last edited by waltherone; 03-12-2007 at 22:12..
waltherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:46   #3
RPBROWN
PAWPAW

PSC on Highway 6 (I think). In Pearland
GOA
http://www.texaschlforum.com/
RPBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:16   #4
bobby_w
Platinum Membership
Alienigena

Quote:
Originally posted by RPBROWN
PSC on Highway 6 (I think). In Pearland
Yes. Pearland Sportsman Club. But it is more outside of Alvin than Pearland. I have been a member for 6 years. Good outdoor club. Some kind of event(s) every weekend all year long.

www.psc-range.com
bobby_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:50   #5
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
When you go out to PSC, ask about their IDPA and IPSC clubs.

If I am not mistaken, Charles Cotton shoots out there. If you ever have a question regarding your CHL, he is definitely a good source of information.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:11   #6
BoleCailey

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby_w
Yes. Pearland Sportsman Club. But it is more outside of Alvin than Pearland. I have been a member for 6 years. Good outdoor club. Some kind of event(s) every weekend all year long.

www.psc-range.com
Its a great range, they have 4 or 5 pistol ranges that are set apart form the main pistol range where you can shoot by yourself and setup pretty much any type of scenarios you can think of. I believe there is IDPA and IPSC stuff going on every weekend but I have not checked it out yet.
BoleCailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 15:56   #7
RPBROWN
PAWPAW

Charles Cotton is one of the directors there. You can get in touch with him at www.texaschlforum.com

Lots of info on that site as well
GOA
http://www.texaschlforum.com/
RPBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote