Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:23   #1
mac66
Plant the seed

Repeal Safety inspection legistation

FYI

House Bills 4490 and 4491 of 2007 have been introduced to repeal penalties for failing to obtain a safety inspection for a handgun after purchase and to eliminate pistol safety inspections all together. Sponsor of the bills is Joel Sheltrown. He has 10 other co-sponsors.

I was unable to find out any specifics about the bills or whether the safety inspections would be replaced with something else.

Might be worth looking into.
Old 03-18-2007, 18:28   #2
brucek

Re: Repeal Safety inspection legistation

Quote:
Originally posted by mac66
FYI .....I was unable to find out any specifics about the bills or whether the safety inspections would be replaced with something else......
My bet would be on mandatory registration!

We don't need no stinking safety inspections as long as we have your name, address and gun serial number so we take it from you when the 2nd amendment has been infringed!

Unless this bill specifically addresses registration and if it passes I expect the safety inspection to just be renamed to some PC, Green, Children friendly, Liberal program.
--

BruceK
brucek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:13   #3
mike23

They should do some undercover pistol inspections to see what these really are. I've taken many pistols in and not one was ever given anything close to a safety check.

They merely check the computer to see I'm not a criminal. One time it took a while and when I asked why, they said I had a common name and that they had to determine I wasn't one of the BG's listed in the computer.

Another interesting thing happened once. The girl made a comment, "You own a lot of guns!", so it's obvious they're keeping track!
mike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:41   #4
centennial

Why so negative?
These bills would eliminate the safety inspection/registration and all records currently held would have to be destroyed within 1 year of passage.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(q5ymhgvmpv405ryiss5llwm4))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2007-HB-4490

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(mugwe145v3ezye55j1zdeeyd))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2007-HB-4491

Read the text. SAFR is backing these bills.
This is a great opportunity to put an end to handgun registration in Michigan.

Get off your ass and write letters to to Rep Sheltrow and ALL of the other Reps who sponsored this bill thanking them and voicing your support.
Also contact your own Rep to make him/her aware of your support for this important legislation.
Do it now while we have this chance.
centennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:59   #5
Timotheous46

Joel Sheltrown is very pro-gun. I talked with Joel today. I do not think he would propose anything that would stab gun owners in the back. This bill was suggested by MCRGO.

Tim
Timotheous46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 18:41   #6
jsbrown14

FYI, you can find your Michigan Rep here:

http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp

I wrote to my rep:

Rep. Byrnes,

I've learned that one of your Democratic colleagues, Rep. Sheltrown, has sponsored bills 4490 and 4491 to overturn Michigan's pistol registration laws. As a constituent I ask you to join Rep. Sheltrown's effort and co-sponsor these bills.

I believe gun registration is inappropriate for a free society. During an era when most legislation curtails freedom, I hope you can join your bipartisan colleagues in the noble pursuit of extending freedom. Thank you.
jsbrown14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 19:09   #7
1-2man
Part Time

Here's mine:

"I've recently learned that one of your colleagues, Representative Sheltrown, has sponsored two new bills 4490 and 4491 to eliminate Michigan's Safety Inspection law. I ask that you consider joining Representative Sheltrown's effort and co-sponsor these bills.

I am a law abiding citizen, a tax payer in Oakland and Wayne County, and an avid recreational shooter and find the whole pistol registration process to be very cumbersome and quite frankly, a waste of my and police staff time. I am self employed and own my own business and have been very inconvenienced in having to 'safety inspect' my lawfully owned pistols. I believe more effort needs to go into curtailing gun violence by dealing with the criminals who illegally obtain said weapons (and of course have no intentions on 'safety inspecting' them) rather than inconvenience the law abiding citizen. Thank you for your time.
1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:44   #8
centennial

It doesn't hurt to mention the racist roots of the purchase permit/safety inspection/registration scheme.
Eliminating registration/safety inspection will also eliminate a lot of paperwork for the local PD or sheriff as well as the people in Lansing MSP.

Don't forget to write Rep Opsommer for getting the ball rolling on this issue. He is the main sponser for HB4490.
Sheltro sponsored HB4491.

Last edited by centennial; 03-26-2007 at 06:02..
centennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:00   #9
umc
CLM Number 6
"Piece" of Mind

This would great on so many levels, anyway, for someone in the know, how long does it generally take to make something like this happen?
Old 03-30-2007, 13:30   #10
cap'n josh

It depends on how it goes through committee but I think the stand your ground bill took around 9 months to push through
cap'n josh is offline   Reply With Quote