Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2007, 18:56   #1
noway

hunting turkeys is a challenge

How do you hunt a BIG bird that sits out 80plus yards in a dried marsh? the start of our central turkey season started this weekend and I had a few gobblers gobbling , seen a few birds, but this here was the surprise of the day. A few birds position out in our marsh.

If you look very closely off center to the left those little dots are hens/toms.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 18:57   #2
noway

Here's my view back inland once I scattered the birds.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:04   #3
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Re: hunting turkeys is a challenge

Quote:
Originally posted by noway
How do you hunt a BIG bird that sits out 80plus yards in a dried marsh? the start of our central turkey season started this weekend and I had a few gobblers gobbling , seen a few birds, but this here was the surprise of the day. A few birds position out in our marsh.

If you look very closely off center to the left those little dots are hens/toms.

Hey My friend, long time no see... really don't have the time to get on GT any more. Just every now and then.

Well to answer your question, (above). Lots of patients, and the ability to give a real sexy call to that old boy. Even at that, I have spent as much as close to an hour on really giant toms before, and gave 'em all i had, but they 'sometimes' refused.

'Don't over call', just sound real alluring, and arouse his curiousity, (among other things)...

Good luck Hoss.
Let me hear from ya when ya can.

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 21:16   #4
Usingmyrights
Jr Member

Send a message via AIM to Usingmyrights

I swear there's a turkey farm on my way to work. I never used to seem them until about a month ago. Started off with just one. I'd see one every few days. Sometimes on the way to work, sometimes in the afternoon. Then it went to just about everyday, with an occasional two birds. Then three hens and a tom one day. I'm now seeing them pretty much coming and going, and usually at least 2 to 3 birds each time, up to 5 or 6. They're usually within 10 yards of the road. The past few times though, I'd look over into one of the big fields and see about 8 or 9 of them. If only it was legal to hunt near paved roads. They don't seemed bothered by the traffic at all.
Usingmyrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:17   #5
noway

Turkeys aren't dumb, they know where's the safe areas are and what time of day they can be shot at. I drove out of the field this past wed and saw gundle of birds ( hens and toms ) resting under a shade tree right about 20yards from the road. I stop and watched them for a good 8 mins.

Now noway would a bird have done the same if I was in the woods with a shotgun, they wouldn't have stayed stationary for 2secs
Old 04-06-2007, 19:48   #6
Usingmyrights
Jr Member

Send a message via AIM to Usingmyrights

I haven't really had a desire to hunt turkey until the past few weeks. Everything that I hear is that they are hard to call in. Well heck, I could run off the road at just the right time and get one.
Usingmyrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:28   #7
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
thanks for the pics, noway. Its funny how a few pics like that really entice me to get back in the field, for whatever reason. ahhhh
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:55   #8
WINGS
CLM Number 18
Charter Lifetime Member

Hey turkeys aren't that hard to find.......I took this picture about30 minutes ago.
This Tom showed up the other day with 6 of his "honeys" and they have been cleaning up around our bird feeders. Yesterday he discovered the cellar windows on the North side of my house and has been pecking and fighting with his reflection. It's fun to watch him. Crazy bird!!!

http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?i...4081216zl4.jpg
WINGS is offline   Reply With Quote