Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:53   #1
BB62

Boy Scout Troop needs target thrower

For those who might otherwise get their panties in a bunch - I live in Cincinnati, near the confluence of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana - so I am posting this request for help in those three places.

On May 4, 5 & 6 our Boy Scout Troop is holding a "Camping & Shooting" weekend at Camp Bear Creek, near Brookville, Indiana.

Last year we did some .22 shooting and also used a donated $20 spring-loaded clay target thrower to give the boys a chance to do some trap shooting. The boys LOVED it, but by the end of the day the thrower was kaput. Also, during the day, the thrower's ability to toss the targets out at a suitable height and distance diminished considerably.

This year I am wondering if anyone knows of a place where we could either a) rent an electrically (12V) powered thrower, b) buy a cheap 12V thrower, or c) rent or cheaply buy a durable human operated thrower.

THANKS kindly for any and all offers of help and suggestions.

BB62
BB62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 20:18   #2
CaptToyota

Sir, I have posted a link to this topic @ AR15.com' (Ohio) Hometown forum, as there is a bunch of fellas there that liked to bust birds at the Miller shoots we used to have.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=263288&page=1
CaptToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:19   #3
BB62

Thank you kindly.

BB62
Old 04-01-2007, 16:11   #4
Daubs

www.natchezss.com has a whole variety of Trap throwers. Do a search for Trap on their sight. 12v traps run around $230-up.

Here's a few:
Hand cock.
2 can set up on class III trailer hitch (also at most wal-mart stores)

Electric:
2 cheapest elec

Wal-mart also has clays and cheaper 12ga. #8 and #7 shot shells.

You may want to contact www.lincolntraps.com/home.html and see if they won't give you a discount being it's for the scouts. They are a made in America Co. So it would be a great PR thing for them and add to future trap shooters. I'm sure a nice e-mail will get their attention.

Field&Stream list of Trap machine Manufacturers & Importers

Kahr Club #95
Niners #96
Rimfire #97

Last edited by Daubs; 04-01-2007 at 16:53..
Daubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 19:01   #5
Ace_High

Any Boyscouts or troops that want to do a shooting campout for rifle and shotgun merit badges should contact Fairfield Sportsmenís Association in SW Ohio. They do the entire program at their facility, provide the firearms, instructors, and let you camp. All for FREE. Your only expense is for ammo and $3 for targets! This will be the third year for our troop doing this and I highly recommend it.
Ace_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 19:38   #6
BB62

THANKS VERY MUCH to Daubs & Aces High.

Daubs - I will look over the information you have given me and evaluate it cost/benefit wise. Thank you very much for the multiple links!

Aces High - Thanks! That's good information to know, and that would be perfect for the boys who want those merit badges. I will pursue it further.

BB62
Old 04-05-2007, 20:17   #7
Ace_High

BB62, send me an email if you want the name and number of the guy who schedules these weekends for FSA.
Ace_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:06   #8
BB62

THANK YOU

I would like to thank everyone for their advice, offers of help, descriptions of throwers, and encouragement. Everything posted here has been very, very helpful in figuring out how to make this year's camping/shooting weekend go **way beyond** our campout of 2 years ago.

I especially want to pass on my deep appreciation to Shingle Monkey.

Yesterday, myself, the Scoutmaster, and one of the assistant Scoutmasters drove to Indy to meet him and take him up on his offer to purchase a trap thrower for our Troop. His generous contribution of a shotgun and funds will allow us to purchase a Do-all sit-down 3/4 cock trap thrower, ammunition, and other supplies.

THANK YOU from the bottom of all of our hearts.

Shingle Monkey: be assured that further thanks and pictures from our campout next weekend (weather cooperating) will be coming your way!

Best,
BB62