Old 05-23-2007, 10:36   #1
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

I'd like to see IN do this: Ban red light cameras and photoradar

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/23/c...100-committed/

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...408/1148/rss25
Old 05-24-2007, 06:40   #2
mpholic

I didn't read the articles fully but they appear to be about Chrysler and not cameras or radar?
mpholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:49   #3
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

Sorry, they must not have static links.

Anyway, here is a different link.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/17/1766.asp

Texas Legislature Bans Speed Cameras
Bills banning speed cameras and requiring warning signs for the use of red light cameras head to the Texas governor.

Bill CallegariThe Texas state legislature gave final approval yesterday to a bill banning speed cameras and requiring red light camera warning signs. Both measures were adopted in the state House by unanimous votes -- the speed camera ban, HB 922, on May 2 (bill text) and the warning sign bill, HB 1052, on April 19.

The warning sign legislation, authored by state Representative Bill Callegari (R-Katy), invalidates any red light camera ticket if motorists do not have advance notice of the presence of a ticketing machine at least 100 feet before the intersection. The speed camera ban, sponsored by state Representative Vicki Truitt (R-Southlake), puts an end to ticketing programs run by the cities of Rhome and Marble Falls. All other cities would be prohibited from issuing automated speeding tickets.

Both bills become law if signed by Governor Rick Perry (R).
Old 05-24-2007, 08:10   #4
mpholic

Not to be ingnorant or anything and I am no fan of Big Brother watching over our shoulder but unless this is a slippery slope kind of thing why do you have a problem with red light cameras?

What difference does it make if you are caught running a red light by a camera or a cop? Breaking the law is breaking the law. I for one think WAYYY to many red lights are run in Indy, most blatantly so.

If there is something sinister about red light cameras I am unaware of it and definitely don't want to be kept in the dark.
mpholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 14:18   #5
KSFreeman
Broken Member

Cameras at traffic signal lights is how the UK became the Orwellian state it is now. Have you seen the flying cameras they have now?

I find the cameras truly terrifying, something out of a dystopian novel or video game. Give the government the nose of the camel and it will be on top of you in no time. I'd rather shoot the camel than let it crush me.

If I were on a jury and someone was accused of vandalism to a camera, I would not hesitate in voting not guilty. Truly a noble use of jury nullification.

I believe a statutory prohibition, coupled with criminal penalties if the police use them, is the correct remedy.
Old 05-24-2007, 15:04   #6
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Semi OT, but they installed cameras in my high school the year before my freshman year. The last day of school of my senior year someone stole one of those security cameras (as in just ripped it out of the ceiling and walked away with it). I found it quite ironic that a security camera could be stolen during the middle of a school day and they had no idea who did it. Not so secure after all.

BTW I agree with Kirk. It is a slippery slope. Those who wish to take away our rights always use "public safety" as a reason (sort of like the antis ). To make matters worse, they are already talking about putting in outdoor security cameras in downtown Indy, just like those used in the UK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 20:30   #7
naffiner

If you think that Indiana is going to do anything to cut off their traffic violation funding, you have obviously not read the brand new $1000 Fine and Misdemeanor Workzone Speeding Bill that is completely asinine and going into effect in a month.
naffiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 18:36   #8
Prometheus77
GOA - RWVA

Quote:
Originally posted by naffiner
If you think that Indiana is going to do anything to cut off their traffic violation funding, you have obviously not read the brand new $1000 Fine and Misdemeanor Workzone Speeding Bill that is completely asinine and going into effect in a month.
HOLY S$%T! Thats friggin insane! Drive 46mph and flash your highbeams at another car (in a work zone) and it's a $5,000 fine and 1 year in jail?!?!?!

I HATE the government. I really HATE it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Prometheus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 18:46   #9
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

Flashing headlights is a crime? How do you get NOTICED when people are parked in the lane and talking on the phone?

That's stupid.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:00   #10
KSFreeman
Broken Member

Flashing headlights is not a crime.

"Aggressive driving" is a crime.
Old 05-27-2007, 14:01   #11
biggl35
NFA user

The $1000 dollar fine is for a 3rd offense.

Also, since I am a tow truck driver that has lost friends/co-workers, I dont find the new law excessive at all. In fact, I personally believe that if you hit a road worker, LEO, or anybody that has to work on the side of the road, and it is deemed that the cause was your negligence and speeding, you should recieve the DEATH PENALTY. Harsh, yes, but thats the way I feel about it.

Flame away!
Old 05-27-2007, 15:52   #12
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

My first reply is that Accidents Happen, no matter what speed you go. When I lived in chicago, I once saw THREE accidents in ONE MILE, going UNDER 5 MPH.

Of course, no injuries.

Hey, I wish we had a ton of bullet trains/commuter trains all around the US, and even down through to South America. I'd love that more than flying, anyway. But, it'll be long after I'm dead that will happen. And the US will probably be dissolved by then.
Old 05-27-2007, 17:26   #13
Prometheus77
GOA - RWVA

Quote:
Originally posted by biggl35
, I personally believe that if you hit a road worker, LEO, or anybody that has to work on the side of the road, and it is deemed that the cause was your negligence and speeding, you should recieve the DEATH PENALTY. Harsh, yes, but thats the way I feel about it.

Flame away!
I can't tell you how many times I've been driving the POSTED 45mph and had some idiot IDOT worker with a stop sign jump out in front of my car liek he/she had a death wish... Same thing for the troopers who stand in the traffic lanes 'fighting seatbelt crime'.

Screw them, if they are gunning for a darwin award I don't feel bad for them. They get what they deserve.

The current laws are a far cry from some nut job blasting thru a work zone at 150 mph and hitting someone. This kind of crap is nothing but about generating more revenue. Indiana is having alot of budget problems and this is yet another way to 'tax' the people.

Prometheus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:40   #14
dwh79

All I can say is work along the highway and come back and tell me that tougher rules are not in order. I believe that some of my fellow highway workers are not the brightest but most drivers just don't care about the loved ones of others who are working along the road trying to improve our roads.
dwh79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:22   #15
boby

Quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus77
I can't tell you how many times I've been driving the POSTED 45mph and had some idiot IDOT worker with a stop sign jump out in front of my car liek he/she had a death wish... Same thing for the troopers who stand in the traffic lanes 'fighting seatbelt crime'.

Screw them, if they are gunning for a darwin award I don't feel bad for them. They get what they deserve.

The current laws are a far cry from some nut job blasting thru a work zone at 150 mph and hitting someone. This kind of crap is nothing but about generating more revenue. Indiana is having alot of budget problems and this is yet another way to 'tax' the people.
Unfortunatly thats pretty much what you have to do when directing traffic. People dont pay any freaking attention if your standing off to the side of the lane clearly signaling them to stop. Usually they think your waving.

Working the Indy 500 outbound traffic sure was fun. You should try it sometime and then maybe you would understand...
boby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:57   #16
Tvov

Although, the links about Chrysler were interesting --

"Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda fielded questions from 400 Chysler employees about the fate of the company -- and their jobs -- under new 80% owners Cerberus Capital Management LLP. The message was that Cerberus is completely committed to the company and its workers, but that workers' first concern should be the Recovery and Transformation Plan (RTP).

The RTP was launched in mid-February, and requires job losses, factory closures,"

This kind of "executive - talk" makes me want to puke sometimes. "We are committed to the workers, and here is a list of workers who are laid off". My wife works at a large hospital, and every so often the CEO sends out letters filled with mindless gibberish supposedly to improve "morale". When I read this kind of stuff, all I can think of is the Dilbert comic strip.

Oh yea, not to go completely off topic, I am not a fan of cameras because of where they will (that is, WILL) lead to. Used just for redlight enforcement, fine, but further down that slippery slope...

As to the construction zones, my bro-in-law worked for the state highway department, and can tell stories of near misses (actually, a lot of stories, like the one where the BMW tried to pass him while he was snowplowing on the highway... on the right!!). Also, I am a member of the fire department, and have done plenty of traffic control, and....well, let's just say people are wonderful!
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote