Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2007, 14:31   #1
BonoVox
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

CALIFORNIA DROS "1 gun in 30 day period" question

I have a question on the puchase of 1 handgun over a 30 day period in California.

Day 1, I start DROS "10 day wait" on a new handgun "G36"

Day 10, I pick up hand gun. "me very happy"

So on day 21 can I start the DROS on a new handgun and a new 10 day period? Picking the gun up on day 31?

Or do I have to wait until day 31 to start the next 10 day period "31 days after gun pick up" thus not being able to pick up the gun until day 41?

The reason I ask is I have an out of state Glock 26 "GlockWorld" sitting at a local FFL. The 41 day rule puts me right into the start of a 2 week vacation "out of country". I would love to be able to pick up the second gun on day 31 and take my CCW training class and qualify with it before I go on vacation.

Only thing I can find online is the notation below that I have found on many sites. Funny thing is I have asked a few FFL's and seem to get different answers.

7. How many handguns can I buy at a time?

The State of California has determined that you should only buy one handgun in a 30 day period. Handgun transactions related to law enforcement, private party transfers, returns to owners, and other specified circumstances are exempt from the one-handgun-per-30-day restriction.

SORRY IF I HAVE CONFUSED ANYONE! Thanks for you help!
BonoVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 14:50   #2
The-Fly
The Bofh

or better yet, move to a free state, and buy all the guns you want without waiting for Feinstein et all to wring their hands .
Old 03-15-2007, 14:58   #3
BonoVox
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The-Fly
or better yet, move to a free state, and buy all the guns you want without waiting for Feinstein et all to wring their hands .
I didn't vote for her....nor did the majority of the people in the county I live in. But regardless I am not going anywhere. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 03-15-2007, 15:15   #4
Skers95

Good question, you could try and call local gun store, but I think that the 31 day starts when DROS starts.

What is more bs is that if the store has no gun, and have to order. 10 day can't start unless the gun is there, so they can grab the serial. Pissed me off.

Last edited by Skers95; 03-15-2007 at 15:18..
Skers95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 15:17   #5
BonoVox
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skers95
Good question, you could try and call local gun store
I have had limited sucess with that. Crazy huh?!
Old 03-15-2007, 15:21   #6
sixftaframes

Bonovox, I've asked my shop the same question. Answer being NO. One must wait until the 31st day after the purchase of the 1st pistol. No paperwork may be started (my shop said that a sale order, meaning that you paid for the pistol, has to be recorded along with the DROS simulanteously)until the 31st day. Hope this helps, sixft.
sixftaframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 15:23   #7
BonoVox
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sixftaframes
Bonovox, I've asked my shop the same question. Answer being NO. One must wait until the 31st day after the purchase of the 1st pistol. No paperwork may be started (my shop said that a sale order, meaning that you paid for the pistol, has to be recorded along with the DROS simulanteously)until the 31st day. Hope this helps, sixft.
Thanks so much. I was told that by one of the FFL's. The one I actually trust the most. That helps confirm it for me!
Old 03-15-2007, 15:29   #8
Gothic_TNT

FYI, Make sure they put the correct pick up date on your paper work, it's not fun waiting an extra day
Gothic_TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 15:32   #9
BonoVox
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gothic_TNT
FYI, Make sure they put the correct pick up date on your paper work, it's not fun waiting an extra day
Pretty funny how one extra day makes a difference. We are like kids in a candy store!!!

Yes that would suck!
Old 03-15-2007, 16:13   #10
DanMartin

You can pay for it. And then you wait.
DanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 16:50   #11
Guns & Cockpits
Not Again.....

Quote:
Originally posted by DanMartin
You can pay for it. And then you wait.
That's true, you can pay for as many of them as you want to, but they can only start the DROS paperwork once every 30 days. Meaning that essentially, you're only picking up a handgun every 30 days.

My dad went through that process a few months ago when he bought a pair of Ruger Vaqueros that were matching. Paid for them both at the same time, but had to wait 60 days before he had his matching set of cowboy pistols.
CyberNation: Jamboggedia. We are a war ready, yet peace loving nation willing to repeat things multiple times to get our point across. We are a war ready, yet peace loving nation willing to repeat things multiple times to get our point across.
Guns & Cockpits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 18:22   #12
g5reality

The 30 Day Club

I'm a member of the 30 day club. I buy a new handgun every 30 days. My last beginning DROS was March 7, I will buy another on April 8 just to be safe. Last was a Glock 26. Month before was a S&W 642. What will it be next month? Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards a HK P200sk, or maybe another kimber I already have a Raptor II.
g5reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 15:53   #13
camoram

I was talking to the local gun shop and found something interesting pertaining to this law. If the gun purchased (let's go with me on this one) is used, the 30 day does not apply. Because I bought a used gun I can go down today and buy another one and only have to wait the 11 day's.
California Glockers Club member #13
camoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:18   #14
JTB
always learning

I think, if the use gun was done as a transfer, you can buy as more if not done as a transfer I think you are sol..

The internet is like a 12 step group, take what you need and leave the rest.
JTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 16:43   #15
klmmicro

Send a message via Yahoo to klmmicro

Re: CALIFORNIA DROS "1 gun in 30 day period" question

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVox
I have a question on the puchase of 1 handgun over a 30 day period in California.

Day 1, I start DROS "10 day wait" on a new handgun "G36"

Day 10, I pick up hand gun. "me very happy"

So on day 21 can I start the DROS on a new handgun and a new 10 day period? Picking the gun up on day 31?

Or do I have to wait until day 31 to start the next 10 day period "31 days after gun pick up" thus not being able to pick up the gun until day 41?

The reason I ask is I have an out of state Glock 26 "GlockWorld" sitting at a local FFL. The 41 day rule puts me right into the start of a 2 week vacation "out of country". I would love to be able to pick up the second gun on day 31 and take my CCW training class and qualify with it before I go on vacation.

Only thing I can find online is the notation below that I have found on many sites. Funny thing is I have asked a few FFL's and seem to get different answers.

7. How many handguns can I buy at a time?

The State of California has determined that you should only buy one handgun in a 30 day period. Handgun transactions related to law enforcement, private party transfers, returns to owners, and other specified circumstances are exempt from the one-handgun-per-30-day restriction.

SORRY IF I HAVE CONFUSED ANYONE! Thanks for you help!
It is 30 days between DROS, not between purchase. The 30 day period only applies to handguns. You can DROS all the long guns you want.

The exemption when buying new comes when you buy two consecutively serialed pistols. Say two 1911's with serials 1000 and 1001.

*10 Ring, MBR and Reloading Clubs: #436*
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote