Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:03   #1
bigtuna

Virginia law on private handgun sales

I'm trying to find the Virginia law on private handgun sales between individuals within the state, between two Virginia residents.

I'm not talking about the law which addresses sales of handguns which are curios or relics between individuals, I'm looking for a law addressing the sale of modern-day handguns.

I know it's legal, because before buying a Glock from another Virginia citizen last year, I called the Virginia State Police and they said it's perfectly legal and there's no background checking or any kind of paperwork. Their words, "Just buy the gun as if you were buying any other item. We don't need to know about. Get a sales receipt, if you like, but it's not required. The seller must verify that the buyer is a Virginia resident."

But I can't find the law in writing that says all this. Can someone help me find it? Is the absence of a law regulating the private sale of modern-day handguns between individuals, implied permission to do so?

(Again, I'm not looking for the law which only addresses the sale of multiple handguns which are curios or relics. I already found that one.)
Winchester Model 70 .30-06 rifle
Bushmaster AR-15 A3 M4 rifle
bigtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:08   #2
golai

The absense of a law regulating the private sale of firearms means there is no prohibition. One cannot be charged with a crime unless a specific statute or regulation prohibits the conduct.

How many times do I have to remind everyone -- KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER WHEN PISTOL WHIPPING SOMEONE. It's just common sense.

Moderators, can we get a sticky on the proper and safe way to pistol whip someone?
golai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:20   #3
Slinger646
King of Sling

I buy and sell privately all the time.

Yeah, well I also have 2 toilets and 1 ass, what's it to ya??
Slinger646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:22   #4
alien-Glocker

Exactly

Quote:
The absense of a law regulating the private sale of firearms means there is no prohibition. One cannot be charged with a crime unless a specific statute or regulation prohibits the conduct.
Exactly the same as open carry in Virginia. There is no law against it so it is legal.

Also private sales are the non-existent gun show loop hole they try to close on an annual basis in Richmond.
Old 03-30-2007, 20:47   #5
RussP

Just make certain the seller is a resident of Virginia and record their DL information "just in case".

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 18:50   #6
Wiley

Quote:
Originally posted by RussP
Just make certain the seller is a resident of Virginia and record their DL information "just in case".

Excuse me, as buyer or seller you may look at my DL for verification of residence but no record will be made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member GCOW7154
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:19   #7
BJtheFlip

I bought a handgun from a friend. There is no law stating you need to do anything. But we found a blank bill of sales form online, wrote the serial number, date, personal info, and signed it just to make sure. No ffl needed.
BJtheFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:08   #8
Rabbit994

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiley
Excuse me, as buyer or seller you may look at my DL for verification of residence but no record will be made.
Then obviously RussP and you may not do business together. I require CHP before I will do a private transaction.
Rabbit994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:36   #9
G30Jack
.88 Magnum

Send a message via AIM to G30Jack
Quote:
Originally posted by Rabbit994
Then obviously RussP and you may not do business together. I require CHP before I will do a private transaction.
I'll buy from anyone I can verify character but only sell or trade with another permit holder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Warning shots are for wusses. Fire is for effect.

As a general rule, don't try to solve puzzles that open portals to Hell.
G30Jack is offline   Reply With Quote