SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:28   #1
KSFreeman
Broken Member

New Plates, your vote?

After suffering through the current green monster and the disaster of the "Amber Waves of Grain", we get to vote for new plates.

Which one do you favor?

http://www.in.gov/bmv/vote/#
Old 04-02-2007, 10:38   #2
Hanen42

I dont mind our current plates..with the large county numbers followed by a letter and 4 numbers. Mainly because its easy for me to remember my plate numbers...6230 for my Regal GS (6 cylinder) and 8230 for my Trans Am (8 cylinder) ha anyways I think the new one on the top left doesn't look too bad.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:47   #3
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

From The Indy (red) Star

Link

Stiver said critics are concerned the agency's desire to display county names on the new plates with stickers could lead to fraud and make it more difficult for law enforcement officers to track wanted motorists.
As it stands, the first two digits of a license plate number are used to identify which county a vehicle is registered in. Each county has its own number. For instance, the plate numbers of cars registered in Hamilton County begin with "29." Some Marion County vehicles start with "49."
Stickers showing the actual county name will replace those identifiers under the new system. In turn, motorists with standard plates will receive new license plate numbers.
The move, Stiver said, is meant to lower inventory costs and simplify getting a new plate.
Critics, however, say motorists could switch county stickers.
Also, Rep. Thomas Saunders, R-Lewisville, said law enforcement officials could have trouble reading the county name because it is small and located at the top of the plate -- an area that is often covered by a plate frame.
At Saunders's request, the Indiana House recently passed a measure to prohibit the BMV from moving to the sticker system. Whether that measure will gain final passage is unclear.
"I think it's a safety thing," Saunders said. "I don't think that law enforcement officials will be able to read the new plates."

IPDBrad, is this really a problem?
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:38   #4
fire1035

Keep the county numbers!

I prefer the county numbers being large and readily readable....... It makes it easier to cuss bad drivers out by county.
fire1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 13:20   #5
KSFreeman
Broken Member

That's why I have truck plates on my SUV. To protect the good name of Tippecanoe County.
Old 04-02-2007, 15:12   #6
boilergonzo

I can live with all of them, but the all blue one looks like a truck or government plate. I sighted in relief that the old orange (think old school Houson astros orange/brown/yellow) plates aren't back from the early 80's.

If they remove the number system, I might get bored...

"Where is that swerving drunk idiot from?!? Let's see... 81... Hmmmmm... Tippecanoe is 79 and Vigo is 84... T, U, V... Tipton? Vanderburgh? Vermillion?".

**Fifteen minutes of entertainment later**

"Eureka! UNION!".

**return to boring drive**

No offense intended to Union County residents. I used to live in Terre Haute and Lafayette, so you were selected by random bracketing and years of pondering these things!
boilergonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 15:50   #7
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

I like the top two the best. The closer to plain white the better. I liked the ones after the butt ugly "amber waves of corn" (who grows grain in IN? ) that were mostly white. The ones we have now look like a kindergarten class desinged them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 17:19   #8
JimK

I`ve been seeing all over a blue plate with american flag with "In God We Trust" in big letters . I thought this was the new standard plate?
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 19:32   #9
fire1035

Quote:
Originally posted by JimK
I`ve been seeing all over a blue plate with american flag with "In God We Trust" in big letters . I thought this was the new standard plate?
No but that one is free...... and it irritates the democrats so it's a lot of fun.

Personally there are career FF plates on both of our cars so I really don't care what design they pick.
fire1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 19:52   #10
sjstill

Will they be any CHEAPER????!!!!????

I've noticed a lot of the In God We Trust plates, and the way some of those busturds drive, I'm glad they trust someone.....
Old 04-02-2007, 20:44   #11
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by sjstill
I've noticed a lot of the In God We Trust plates, and the way some of those busturds drive, I'm glad they trust someone.....
Maybe they are relying on their deity to drive for them. Sort of like how the taliban/al-queda relied on Allah to guide their bullets to the infidels. We all saw how well that worked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 20:53   #12
IPDBrad

I don't think the sticker system will be a problem. There is plenty of sticker swapping now, expiration stickers. However, it occurs with fresh sticker before they are applied. People will often use the five finger discount and apply one to their own plate. The expiration stickers have the year and the plate number that they belong to.

I like the two digit county numbering system because it is a "red flag" in certain areas. Kinda a clue as to when someone is shopping for dope or "women". NOT PC but a definite clue.

However, I can see why they would want to go to a stickering system. I imagine the county stickers will be the same as the expiration stickers, i.e. only removable with a knife.

I do wish they would go back to the stamped plates where the letters/numbers are raised, they are much easier to read.
Old 04-02-2007, 20:54   #13
IPDBrad

By the way, I like the plate in the upper left corner, very sharp.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:15   #14
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IPDBrad
... snip ...

I do wish they would go back to the stamped plates where the letters/numbers are raised, they are much easier to read.
That and they changed the font. Now 3, 8, and 9 looks the same. I would have thought the PDs and ISP would have complained about that.
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:24   #15
Indy_Guy_77
Thread Killer

You mean, Indiana is finally going to follow the norm. for the rest of the country!?!?! Holy Cow!!

First we get DST back...and now we're getting license plates only identifiable with county-designation stickers? I mean, its not like our truck plates haven't been doing this for years. And they don't get stickers!

Amazing.

As another poster said, it'll take the fun out of figuring out what county folks are from.

-J-
Indy_Guy_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:31   #16
IPDBrad

Quote:
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
That and they changed the font. Now 3, 8, and 9 looks the same. I would have thought the PDs and ISP would have complained about that.
There was a bit of a row when the plates first came out with the total flat surface. They changed the layout slightly by making the letters smaller.
Old 04-05-2007, 15:24   #17
pack-indy
Emissary

Quote:
Originally posted by IPDBrad
By the way, I like the plate in the upper left corner, very sharp.
+1
pack-indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 17:09   #18
jsx1043

Send a message via Yahoo to jsx1043
New plates...

Having the new system (without the county number big and bold,) will make it more difficult to enforce DWFHC: DRIVING WHILE FROM HAMILTON COUNTY!

Pretty frequent "stopping charge" here in Marion County.

I don't mind the new plates, I'd just like to see them make an infraction for having a plate frame that covers part of the plate. I already write a lot of tickets for obscured plates, one of my pet peeves.
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2 - Let the Wookiee win."
jsx1043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 18:54   #19
JT-Hickman

I'll stick with my Hoosier Vet plate

The In God We Trust is my next favorite
JT-Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:01   #20
Rikki
Pathetic Loser

If they use a sticker for the county name,will that make the metal FOP badges useless, or will they be able to cover up the Co. name with them?