Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-02-2007, 21:20   #1
JTRourke

Why do you do it?

I kind of got into this question with someone on another forum here on GT. (Not "got into it" in a bad way. I definitely think his heart was in the right place.)

However, it started me thinking...

If you're a LEO, a Firefighter, EMS...

Why?

Why do you do it?

I KNOW why I do it... and it probably isn't for the reasons many might think.

So, why do YOU do it...?

(Cross posted between the "Cop Talk" and "Firefighter/EMS Talk" forums. What can I say... I've worked both sides of the street.)

Be safe all.

Last edited by JTRourke; 04-02-2007 at 21:27..
JTRourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 22:03   #2
bayshtyshorty

OK I guess I'll start this one.....I've always had a place for kids, less fortunate people, and anybody with a handicap...A buddy of mine got into the fire station after his mother died to give back...oneday I was in his PV and he was toned out. The rush I got from running hot for the first time was incredible, so i went to school and i got a job, so now i can do the 2 things i like most......making lots of noise and helping people. There was a couple of times i was doubting my career choice, but the first time a customer (tax payer) came down to the station she gave me a hug and a card stating she owed me her life for saving it....and OF COURSE i said what everybody wants to say oneday..."That's OK maam, I was just doing my job." and that felt really freakin' good. Just recently, my Engine crew responded to a residence on account of a 57 yr. old male with chest pain and diff. breathing (dyspnia). He was on a downhill slide fast and well on his way into forcing me to call a code. On this particular afternoon, all ALS rigs were tied up, making their response time to around 15 minutes...long story short he looked up at me in the back of that rig before i left and said "You guys saved my life, i swear you're angels with helmets covering your halo's". Anyways, i could go on and on about this all day long....the job has been very good to me...NO REGRETS!!!! so c'mon with the stories guys!
~Grandpa Fred~
bayshtyshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:07   #3
oldstyle
Jeep Pirate

Because the big red truck looks better, goes faster, and makes more noise than the big brown truck did at my previous job.

The 24 on, 48 off schedule attracted me.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:14   #4
Greenglock21

A. Began as a 17 year old with no clear direction in life.

B. Entered volunteer fire dept after friend told me that he was being taught to cut-up cars, break down doors, and put out fires. Sounded too cool to be true.

C. Volunteer Chief set clear guidlines with regards to my conduct both in and out of the firehouse. Once a fireman- always a fireman. He left it me strictly in charge, ever to walk and act as such.

D. Fell in love with riding the truck, wearing the gear, packing hose, smelling the fire when we were still blocks away.

E. Fell in love with the respect given by friends, family, the community. Developed a sense of duty to the community.

F. The path became clear- I wanted to be a career firefighter. Once the goal was established (until then I hadn't any goals,) all the obstacles became merely scenery. Nothing is better than knowing what you want to do in life.

G. Was hired at the age of 18. Pride. Purpose. Sense of accomplishment. Women seem to love Firemen. Worked for me.

H. Excellent schedule. Bought a nice car. Got an apartment. Women love firemen. Worked for me.

I. Bought a house. Got married. Have a baby. Women love firemen with babies. Nice to know it could work for me if I wanted it to. Love my wife.

J. 17 years in, promoted. Trying to set clear guidlines for young firefighters- leaving them strictly in charge to ever walk and act as such.

K. Recruiting. Always trying to repay my debt to the fire service for giving me such a wonderful life.

That's it in a nutshell.
Fred
Greenglock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:48   #5
4095fanatic

Not sure if I posted it in a similar thread, but here's how it goes...

Various reasons for starting (wanting to give back, wanted to challenge myself, see if I could "hack it", I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie lol, etc.).

Reason I stay in:

About 3 years ago our firehouse was having an open house. People are allowed to walk around in the engine bay, see the trucks, etc. Mom's walking with her 5 year old child (cutest kid you ever saw), and the mom knelt down, put her arm around her girl, pointed to me, and said "look, he's a hero". That look the kid gave me along with the smile has stuck around ever since.
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 17:10   #6
Tvov

I basically never the left the town I grew up in. Before I got married, I lived in an apartment that was next to the firehouse in the next town over. My landlord, who ran the hunting shop below me, was a longtime member of the volunteer fire department. I spent many evenings sitting with him and others talking about fishing, hunting, and fire fighting (most of them were also firemen).

After I met and married my wife, we bought a house back in "my town". I own a small landscaping company, and know a lot of people. Another landscaper, who is a longtime volunteer fireman, talked to me a couple times about joining the local department.

I grew up in this town, married and bought a house here, and realized that I wanted to be more involved. I joined the volunteer fire department in 1996. I was impressed at who the other members were, both poor and rich, well known in town and people who I'd never seen before.

And when that tone goes off at 1:30AM in January, or 4:00PM in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner, everyone responds who is able to. I have torn apart cars to get people out, pulled bodies from burned houses, rescued cats from trees (Yep! I have done that!). Helped find the car keys that the guy dropped in the storm drain across from the fire house on a Sunday morning (as usual, myself and other members were at the FD working on stuff and doing the never ending cleaning). I have given a stuffed animal to a 5 year old boy with blood streaming down his face at a car accident. And on and on.

After all this, as I said earlier, I guess the reason that I joined is that I wanted to be more involved in the town I live in and grew up in. It has been, and continues to be, an amazing experience.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:25   #7
comstockfire

The chicks man, the chicks.

j/k
comstockfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38   #8
RLDS45S

I love EMS, and I think the world of the people that do it paid or volunteer. I have pickded up my best friend on a call, and I can not say that I have ever forgot that night. I progressed from volley EMT-B to Paid EMT-P, adn now RN in the ED, and best of all they let me be in charge! I miss running calls, and the autonomy of the work s a medic. There are no words to describe seeing a cardiac arrest victim walk out of the hosp. with his faculties intact! I have seen the best in people and the worst in people. Most of all the people that are LE Fire and EMS are a cut above. To those in public service I take my hat off to you!
RLDS45S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:12   #9
D25
The Quick

I started out helping a local FD with their grant writing, and a few years later I'm a flight medic. Although this progression was made with a very long series of baby steps, they sure built up alot of momentum. At this point there is so much momentum that I can't even really look back and figure out why. All I can do is try to formulate my next self-imposed challenge. FTO? Soon. RN? Maybe, but I like the autonomy of being a paramedic. MD? In a heartbeat if I can figure out how to finance another 6 years.

"i puke real regular. it's healthy. three or four times a year probably. good to get your innards out and warshmoff...." -mitchshrader
D25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 17:10   #10
Lone Hunter

Why ? 77k a year (40 hr. week) health care and a good retirement.

I also happen to love going to work.
Lone Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 19:24   #11
jmshady

What other job is there that you get to laugh at the aftermath of "hey ya'll watch this"?
jmshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 21:58   #12
Chicks&Ammo

When I was little I saw pictures of people sick and bleeding on the news, and no one helping them. I knew that I had to do something, and couldn't be like everyone else and just watch. I was going to be a doctor but realized that I wasn't ready for the 7 years of college and debt. I wanted to help people now and have long weekends. I know I made the right choice, the pts continue to inspire me, and the education never ends. Plus I love the wonderful off sense of humor that keeps the job sane and I always had a soft spot in my heart for men in uniform.
Old 04-04-2007, 23:00   #13
tarsij

For me it all started about 2 years ago when I moved to NJ. My girlfriend had just broken up with me, I had failed out of college a year earlier and i was feeling pretty down, so I packed up all my stuff and moved the 40 miles into New Jersey. I got a job working with the mentally disabled at a state institution and decided that I wanted to be an EMT. I found the address to the local emergency squad, mapquested directions to it and drove by it like 10 times a day for 3 weeks waiting for a car to be in the parking lot so I could talk to someone about joining. I finally found someone and joined up. Went to EMT class 3 months later and now I'm a paid EMT (doing transports now , but I'm applying to some 911 places now) Its had its ups and downs, but I love the feeling I get when a little girl who fell and hurt her knee looks up at me and says "thank you for making me all betterer" as we're on the way to the er. So I guess I do it for the warm fuzzy feeling, does that make me a warm, fuzzy feeling junkie?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:49   #14
tnmc

I'll tell you why we do it - I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps and am beginning my FF journey/career, and if I have seen anything in the kind of people that are in this line of work - I have seen a desire to do it because it is the kind of work that attracts people like us. The ones who need to do something to make a difference but can't stand sitting behind a desk from 1st grade through college through the rest of life. Jobs like this kick a**, in just about every way.
tnmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 14:00   #15
Shrike30
EMT-B

Send a message via ICQ to Shrike30 Send a message via AIM to Shrike30
I found myself at college, three years into a degree that I couldn't imagine having any use in real life, and wanting to make an actual difference in the world. I've got multiple generations of MDs and other medical types in my family (bowel resections were dinner table conversation when I was three feet tall), but had no desire to go into hospital work... the sheer volume of administrative BS and paperwork would have driven me nuts. Emergency medicine sounded like an interesting alternative.

I got into an EMT-B class at the local community college, and found I was suddenly among my kind of people... proactive type-A problem solvers with the kind of job that generates stories you want to tell.

I got a job with an ambulance company and found that, for the first time, my employer treated me like a competent adult, rather than a child or a trained monkey. There's guidelines, there's protocols, there's scope of practice... and if you can justify your actions within that framework as being in the best interest of your patient, you're allowed to make important decisions on the spot, without checking in with the department manager, waiting a week to discuss it at a meeting, or having to send out an email to all the other trained monkeys to see if they'll fling poo at it.

I hate office work, and academia wasn't for me. Give me a good partner, a reliable rig, a smart dispatcher and some loud music any day of the week.
G23 in a Kramer IWB #2 horsehide, DSA SA58 carbine ("The FrankenFAL").
Shrike30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 19:11   #16
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Because I can't think of any other job where I can make 30K that allows me the freedom that this job allows me. plus being able to Earm Money Sleeping is cool to!
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 19:41   #17
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

I only have to go to work five times each month. I used to like the rush but that has kind of went away some time in the last twenty years.

Now I just to close to pension time to find a more exciting job.
Old 04-19-2007, 23:29   #18
Joey

Last edited by Joey; 05-10-2007 at 07:50..
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 15:56   #19
Skintop911
Uber-Practical

In addition to the common, noble intentions, I just love knowing what's in the paper without needing to open it.
Skintop911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 23:29   #20
Fireman Ron

I do it because I'm a selfish SOB. I love the rush and the feeling I get when we roll fire/EMS/hazmat/rescue and help make someones problems better. It's addictive as hell.
Fireman Ron is offline   Reply With Quote