Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-03-2007, 21:03   #1
jcazz

National City at 56 & Georgetown

I work near 56th and Georgetown and I had occasion to need to stop in the National City at 56th and Georgetown today. I was a bit surprised as I opened the door. Since the last time I had been in (likely 1.5 years ago) they had remodeled and part of that remodeling included installing a sophisticated man-trap with what looked to be bullet-proof plexi and a metal detector at the front door!

I looked all around and didn't see ANY "no firearms" sign. I have carried into other NCB branches with no problems before too. So I was a bit shocked.

Since I had come from work my G23 was in the trunk of my car, and I didn't trip the system. However as I was getting in line a lady came in and had enough metal in her purse to set off the system.

There was a familiar department-store buzzer and the door automatically locked her into the man-trap. The lone teller glanced over at a video monitor near the teller stations, glanced at the lobby, and then mashed a button to unlock the doors and let her in.

Again, as I left I look high and low for "no firearms" signs and didn't find any. I shall duck into the NCB at Heartland Crossing this weekend to see if they're going into lock-down mode too. I would hate to have to go through the hassle of moving banks and changing my auto-payments, etc. :-(

Anyone seen anything like this at any other banks around town?
jcazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:00   #2
fire1035

Huntington Natl/ at 34th and Hisgh School Rd has one as well. After being robbed like 6 time sin 2 years they put it up. They have a no firearms sign.
fire1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:28   #3
mpholic

I don't go inside banks anymore. What little banking I do these days is done through the ATM.

My wife still goes inside from time to time. I have as of yet been unable to convince her to carry (beleive my I have tried, hard) so it's not an issue for her.
mpholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05   #4
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fire1035
Huntington Natl/ at 34th and Hisgh School Rd has one as well. After being robbed like 6 time sin 2 years they put it up. They have a no firearms sign.
Maybe all the other banks should do the same. We should have thought of that years ago. Could have prevented a lot of robberies.

Morons
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 21:18   #5
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
Lovely!

How could one close all of their accounts without entering the premises, I wonder?

I'm glad I do not patronize a bank that is currently prone to such nonsense.
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:18   #6
mpholic

Quote:
Originally posted by rhino465
I'm glad I do not patronize a bank that is currently prone to such nonsense.
Hopefully it's not just a matter of time before they all adopt these measures.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:23   #7
fire1035

Why is this nonsense? It may be a hassle but they are a private company that has a responsibility to keep it's employees safe. Persoanlly I don't consider a 90 year old "security" guard safety.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:29   #8
mpholic

Quote:
Why is this nonsense? It may be a hassle but they are a private company that has a responsibility to keep it's employees safe. Persoanlly I don't consider a 90 year old "security" guard safety.
While I understand your point, we are ultimately responsible for our own safety. These measures disarm the law abiding citezen and remove his ability to protect himself.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:53   #9
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

True story:

I closed an account at my local NBD (because of bad customer service) and opened one at another local bank. When I closed the account I had about $6,000 in it. The bank representive counted out $6,000 in CASH, at a desk, in the lobby and handed it to me! Needless to say anyone could have very easly thought of getting an easy $6K. That was a long two mile drive to the other bank!

While metal detectors and no-gun signs might keep the employees/customers safe it sure would not have helped me!
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:05   #10
mpholic

Quote:
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
The bank representive counted out $6,000 in CASH,
What?? Haven't they ever heard of cashiers check? Maybe they thought they were doing you a favor by making your funds immediately available.

Good point in case though.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:46   #11
fire1035

Quote:
Originally posted by mpholic
While I understand your point, we are ultimately responsible for our own safety. These measures disarm the law abiding citezen and remove his ability to protect himself.
Again though private company and they get to make their own rules whether you like them or not. If they feel this is the best way to protect their customers and employees then so be it. My bank doesn't do this and I am happy with their decision. When I goto the Huntington bank on High School Rd to make my car payment I deal with it and move on. Is it that inconvenient for me to leave my gun in my car for 2 minutes when I walk inside? Since you have to go through the same procedure when you exit the bank you should have plenty of time to get back to your car before some thug inside can get out fo the building, back to his car, and over to you.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:53   #12
mpholic

Quote:
Again though private company and they get to make their own rules whether you like them or not.
I am not arguing this point. I support their right to make these decisions. I just don't agree with them and don't care to do business with them.

While unlikely, it is still possible to be accosted between the bank entrance and your car by someone waiting for you in the parking lot.