Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2007, 15:17   #1
Korey5640
The Cheesiest!

Send a message via AIM to Korey5640
Shooting with someone under 18

Recently a friend of mine really wants to go shooting. Problem is she is 17 y/o and her parents do not own weapons, which leaves the parent out of the question since they couldn't really help here. They have no problems with her shooting with me, but no range that I have called will allow it. Not even Bald Mt. Recreation area will allow her. I am the legal owner of the handgun and am 18 y/o. I could get a note/letter from her parents to state they are ok with it, but no range will even accept that. Anyone know of a range that will allow this kind of thing around my area, SE Michigan(Metro Detroit).

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Korey5640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 19:29   #2
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Take her and keep your mouth shut?
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 20:31   #3
Korey5640
The Cheesiest!

Yeah, thought of that but the problem is I have seen them ID visitors in the range that I normally go to. There were some teens in with an AR-15 that one owned and they all got ID'ed before going in. What I am asking is if anyone knows of a range that is a little less serious on their rules, or will possibly let this one slide...

Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2007, 21:27   #4
fueddy

she can shoot a rifle but not a pistol at most indoor ranges. I think Double Action in Madison Heights and Target Sports at woodward and 13 mile will allow her to shoot any rim fire or center fire rifle. But not a pistol until she is 18 years old. Hope this helps.
g26
fueddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 21:31   #5
Korey5640
The Cheesiest!

Quote:
Originally posted by fueddy
she can shoot a rifle but not a pistol at most indoor ranges. I think Double Action in Madison Heights and Target Sports at woodward and 13 mile will allow her to shoot any rim fire or center fire rifle. But not a pistol until she is 18 years old. Hope this helps.
Thanks. However, the gun I own is a Glock 22....so that doesn't really help. The range that I normally shoot at is Target Sports and they are the ones that I have seen check ID for a few people at times. Also, when I called Target Sports today they said it was a no-no...period, I never even mentioned handgun, Glock, or any combination. Maybe I will give Double Action a call tomorrow and check with them, they were closed today by the time I called. I doubt it, but I have heard they are, at times, better with certain things than Target Sports.

I was thinking...scary, I know. Since you can shoot on state owned hunting land, could she shoot there legally? Or is that a no-no? Maybe I will check with the DNR on Monday.
Old 04-06-2007, 21:40   #6
fueddy

for whatever reasons outdoor ranges are given a different set of rules to follow then an indoor range. yeah double action is going to be the same as target.
g26
fueddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:05   #7
Timotheous46

An 18 year old taking a 17 year old girl for an enjoyable day? This may not be the most desirable option, but why not take one of the parents along and get them introduced to shooting?
Timotheous46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:14   #8
Korey5640
The Cheesiest!

Quote:
Originally posted by Timotheous46
An 18 year old taking a 17 year old girl for an enjoyable day? This may not be the most desirable option, but why not take one of the parents along and get them introduced to shooting?
Yeah, that was an option. I am seeing her today and we are going to see what we come up with but in the end, who knows. We may end up doing that. In all honesty, I really don't have THAT big of a problem with it, her parents actually do like me Which is why getting something signed by them wouldn't be a problem if that is all the range wanted. Taking one/both of them with us....yeah, I don't have problems with them and all but....yeah, not my first choice.

Fueddy, are you saying that there is an outdoor range that would allow it? Bald Mt. said she could come, but not shoot, however, that is a State Owned range, is there a privately owned range that you know allows such a thing?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:20   #9
Korey5640
The Cheesiest!

Ok, so I have called everyone in the area and they keep referring me to "The Pit" near Lapeer,MI, saying that up there anything goes pretty much. I have searched and searched and the only thing I found is "Schenkel Sand Pit", which doesn't seem right. Can anyone help me out here and let me know where The Pit is. I would be willing to do the drive if this is what it sounds like. I have heard of the pit, but can't seem to find much about it.

If someone could either post, or PM me the info I would be very thankful
Old 04-07-2007, 13:54   #10
Korey5640
The Cheesiest!

Little update. I found a range that will allow her to shoot with me as the "supervising adult". For those that are curious, it is Wolverine Shooting in Trenton. I was ideally looking for indoor because of the recent weather, and found it. Also, Island Lake Shooting Range(DNR ran) said they would allow it, however, that is outdoor.

Still curious about the pit for my own knowledge. If someone could pass along that info, that would be great....
Old 04-07-2007, 19:20   #11
Timotheous46

"Taking one/both of them with us....yeah, I don't have problems with them and all but....yeah, not my first choice."

Be careful. When I was in High School I took a pretty girl to an amusement park and ended up taking her parents along. Her parents liked me and we’ve been married for 40 years now. Actually it worked out pretty good.

Tim
Timotheous46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 19:45   #12
Korey5640
The Cheesiest!

Quote:
"Taking one/both of them with us....yeah, I don't have problems with them and all but....yeah, not my first choice."

Be careful. When I was in High School I took a pretty girl to an amusement park and ended up taking her parents along. Her parents liked me and we’ve been married for 40 years now. Actually it worked out pretty good.

Tim
I have no problem with that Really though, this girl scares me a bit, she is a hot female version of...me. She is into guns, cars, trucks, and law enforcement...almost too similar but just different enough that I can see it working. Lets hope for a repeat of your outcome
Old 04-08-2007, 07:44   #13
NSANE

Quote:

That sounds like the best and who knows they may get in to it?
S&W 642
NSANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:07   #14
Korey5640
The Cheesiest!

Quote:
Originally posted by NSANE
That sounds like the best and who knows they may get in to it?
Like I said, they may not be the worst situation, but as of right now, the best solution is the one that I found. An indoor range, only an extra 10 minute drive, that allows what we need it to allow.
Old 04-09-2007, 20:56   #15
mikedb

my experience

I have taken my sons shooting my handguns since they were 13. As long as with an adult most places I have shot at dont have a problme. Hunters safety helps. You can go the the state range at Island Lake. Also, Peters on Gratiot should be ok. Whne my oldest sone was 16 we shot at Top Gun, Firing Line, Peters, and Island Lake.
mikedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 20:58   #16
Korey5640
The Cheesiest!

Re: my experience

Quote:
Originally posted by mikedb
I have taken my sons shooting my handguns since they were 13. As long as with an adult most places I have shot at dont have a problme. Hunters safety helps. You can go the the state range at Island Lake. Also, Peters on Gratiot should be ok. Whne my oldest sone was 16 we shot at Top Gun, Firing Line, Peters, and Island Lake.
Yeah, most required you to be the parent, or the person under 18 to have hunter's safety. Either way, some things feel through and I ended up at Bald Mt. shooting off some rounds today...still a decent day at the range.
Old 04-09-2007, 20:58   #17
mikedb

note is needed

Under Federal law a note from her parent/leagal guardian is needed to allow you to let her shoot.
mikedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 21:00   #18
Korey5640
The Cheesiest!

Re: note is needed

Quote:
Originally posted by mikedb
Under Federal law a note from her parent/leagal guardian is needed to allow you to let her shoot.
Right, that was mentioned to me also, which is no problem. However, we are going at a later date so all is well.
Old 04-09-2007, 21:05   #19
geekboy
Glock Lover

In Florida, you need to have parental permission to allow a person under 18 to shoot. That's any firearm or projectile weapon (like a BB gun).

Quote:
790.17 Furnishing weapons to minors under 18 years of age or persons of unsound mind and furnishing firearms to minors under 18 years of age prohibited.--

(1) A person who sells, hires, barters, lends, transfers, or gives any minor under 18 years of age any dirk, electric weapon or device, or other weapon, other than an ordinary pocketknife, without permission of the minor's parent or guardian, or sells, hires, barters, lends, transfers, or gives to any person of unsound mind an electric weapon or device or any dangerous weapon, other than an ordinary pocketknife, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
I would suspect that other states have similar statutes. So be careful. I accidentally let my 15 year old stepson's friend shoot a BB gun prior to asking permission. Luckily, his parent were okay with it. They could have had me prosecuted.

So, if you take her, make sure you have written permission at least. Stay safe.

Glock 19
Glock 26
geekboy is offline   Reply With Quote