Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:28   #1
jmb79

Rep. Steve Buyer's weasel words...

About six weeks ago I wrote Congressman Steve Buyer regarding H.R. 1022 (the new proposed weapons ban that makes the 1994 ban seem almost benign by comparison). Yesterday I received a letter back from Rep. Buyer.

I will try to scan the letter later this morning so you can read it for yourselves but in the meantime...

Paragraph 1 thanks me for writing.

Paragraph 2 mentions that Buyer opposed the 1994 ban when it was enacted.

Paragraph 3 gives a brief 2 sentence description of the new legislation and mentions that it has been referred to House Judiciary Committee.

Paragraph 4 reads: "Please be assured I will recall your concerns with H.R. 1022 should this measure come to the House floor."

Frankly, I am disappointed with the "weasel words" in Paragraph 4. Buyer (or his office staff) has refused to take a stand against H.R. 1022. He has left himself room to vote either up or down on H.R. 1022 should it even reach the house floor. He could still vote for the a new ban without breaking his promise to have recalled my letter before his vote.

I expected more from a man who is a graduate of the Citadel and served in the Army (albeit as an attorney with the Judge Advocate General's Office).

I note that the letter is not hand signed and is most likely a form letter. Does anyone have any thoughts whether this form letter is sent only regarding H.R.1022 bill or whether a virtually identical letter is sent regarding any bill about which a constituent writes?

Do any of you have any experience with Buyer and/or his stand on Second Amendment rights?

I am going to reply to Buyer's letter expressing my displeasure at his failure to take a stand on H.R. 1022.
jmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 14:29   #2
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

That is more than my rep. (Julia Carson) would do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 17:24   #3
sjstill

I got the identical letter, and my thoughts were the same as yours. I'm really disappointed, but not surprised.

On a more positive note, my City County Councillor actually called me back today re: Proposal 174. He is against it too, and I detected no wishy-washy in the conversation.
Old 04-04-2007, 21:12   #4
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
I recevied a Buyer letter this week, but I have not yet opened it. I suspect it will be identical to the others.

His voting record is pretty good. GOA rates him at an A- (I think).

As far being a grad of the Citadel and being in the military . . . I don't see much correlation between either and being pro-RKBA. It's disappointing, though, because we expect better from Hoosier congress critters (who are not the Zombie Woman or her ilk).
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 15:35   #5
Inverness11
Standard Member

I got the same letter and was disappointed that he seems to be riding the fence on this one. IIRC he has a very pro RKBA voting record, hopefully he'll keep it up.
Inverness11 is offline   Reply With Quote