Old 04-19-2007, 21:53   #1
sjstill

Could it happen here?

No, not what you think....

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/state/ar...491437,00.html

TN moves to allow guns in public buildings

By News Sentinel staff
April 18, 2007

NASHVILLE — In a surprise move, a House panel voted today to repeal a state law that forbids the carrying of handguns on property and buildings owned by state, county and city governments — including parks and playgrounds.

"I think the recent Virginia disaster — or catastrophe or nightmare or whatever you want to call it — has woken up a lot of people to the need for having guns available to law-abiding citizens," said Rep. Frank Niceley, R-Strawberry Plains. "I hope that is what this vote reflects."
Old 04-19-2007, 22:53   #2
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
That's a huge first step for them (assuming it eventually passes their full legislature and gets signed by their governor). Tennessee is pretty repressive in terms of restrictions on their carry licenses, so this is a big deal for them.

If only Indiana would follow suit and make it illegal for gov't entities to restrict carry (except for jails, of course).
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:04   #3
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

namely IndyParks first and foremost would be welcomed.
Then, state property.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:33   #4
IPDBrad

Interesting. MSN had a poll on their website concerning restrictions on firearms. I expected it to be entirely lopsided towards more restrictions. Entirely the opposite.

As tragic as the VT shootings were, maybe it will have the effect to allow for fewer restrictions so that people can defend themselves. Now if they just would do so.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:50   #5
cougar_guy04

I really wish something like this would pass in Indiana. It's not that Rose is a particularly rough piece of real estate (far from it), but the fact that going off campus I hardly carry because of what a hassle it is to get my gun (go to public safety, get the gun, etc., return gun after you return to campus). Sure, I could keep it in the car or in my room, but why risk getting booted out of here and waste all the money I've sunk into my education so far.

I'd even be willing to purchase a smaller gun (Kel-tec or snub .38/.357 revolver) that would be easier to conceal than my full sized service pistol to keep people from flipping out if my bigger gun were to be printing.
cougar_guy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:19   #6
seamus

I would be unlikely to risk expulsion too if I were in your shoes. I often violate the no-gun policy when I visit my daughter on campus at another local university. It's one thing to conceal a weapon for a couple of hours on campus and then drive off, but it's quite another to be in your position.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 13:05   #7
KSFreeman
Broken Member

I will re-state what I have re-stated in the past. *all together* Shut up, Kirk!

I feel a frontal attack will face too much resistance. It is my opinion that flanking our enemy will be more effective.

I propose that we introduced legislation allowing victims of crime inside "gun-free" zones sue the property owners including the govnernment. There would be minimum liquidated damages (say 250K for now), triple damages, and attorney fees. The standard would be strict liability.

Passing this legislation would be seen as "pro-victim" and would abolish gun free zones across the state overnight.

I carried in undergrad in Bloomington. Heck, I even carried long guns across campus including my eeevil HK93 to shoot at the range under the Union. No one cared, IUPD used to wave at us as they strolled by.

Last edited by KSFreeman; 04-20-2007 at 13:07..
KSFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 15:48   #8
boilergonzo

Stunning, and for once I am pleasantly surprised. Three cheers for Tennessee!

Good analysis above. Rose is a good school, and getting kicked out over this just doesn't make sense for your future. I agree with your thought process.

If you were a brainless slug you wouldn't have been accepted there...
boilergonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 17:19   #9
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Good for TN. Gun laws aside it is a great state (okay outside of Memphis ) and has some beautiful scenery. One of the states I lived in that I actually want to go back to live in again sometime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 17:36   #10
rhino465

Quote:
Originally posted by FThorn
namely IndyParks first and foremost would be welcomed.
Then, state property.
Actually, schools should come first, along with rolling back the new security rules at the Indiana Gov't Centers Campus. Parks are a city thing and more of an annoyance. UNlike schools, no one is going to get convicted of a felony and have their life ruined if they get "caught" carrying in a park in Indy.
Old 04-20-2007, 17:50   #11
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have been carrying all day every day for coming up on two years. I am a college student. I chose a G26 because it conceals pretty easily.

Suspension or expulsion beats the alternative when considering the risks involved with the decision.

The K-12 schools need to be taken off limits ASAP.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 17:51   #12
tlish
ammo liberator

Quote:
Originally posted by rhino465
Actually, schools should come first

+1

and, it is required for parents to send kids there (unless homeschooling), so i think there's a bigger liablility and responsibility to keep them safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
tlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 18:14   #13
rhino465

Clearly you two fellows are erudite and perceptive individuals.
Old 04-21-2007, 20:22   #14
sjstill

Quote:
Originally posted by rhino465
Clearly you two fellows are erudite and perceptive individuals.
No one is more eruditeier nor perceptiver than Rhino, though
Old 04-21-2007, 20:28   #15
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally posted by sjstill
No one is more eruditeier nor perceptiver than Rhino, though
Two online dictionaries find no result for "eruditeier".

There is

er·u·dite /ˈɛryʊˌdaɪt, ˈɛrʊ-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[er-yoo-dahyt, er-oo-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective characterized by great knowledge; learned or scholarly: an erudite professor; an erudite commentary.

and

Erudiate

\E*ru"di*ate\, v. t. [L. erudire.] To instruct; to educate; to teach. [Obs.]

The skillful goddess there erudiates these In all she did. --Fanshawe.

and

er·u·dite /ˈɛryʊˌdaɪt, ˈɛrʊ-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[er-yoo-dahyt, er-oo-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective characterized by great knowledge; learned or scholarly: an erudite professor; an erudite commentary

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 22:25   #16
rhino465

sjstill is replete with eruditiousosity.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:03   #17
boby

I think that we are doing pretty good gun control wise.

Reading carry issues will have you thinking the sky is falling and the secret police are on the way to take your guns. I however dont feel this is the case. I think the VT incident combined with all of these other mass killings is getting people to think. I truly think people are figuring out that gun control is not working. I am amazed at the Ohio sheriff whom announced we should allow carry in schools immediatly. And I cant see a democrat winning the election...

Maybe im just excessively optimistic?

Stay safe...
boby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:39   #18
ralphb72

contacting reps

I just spent the last 30 minutes contacting (on line) the president and my state and fed senators and reps stating that the only way our schools and workplaces will ever be safe is to remove restrictions and allow law abiding citizens to carry their weapons. I suggest everyone do the same.
ralphb72 is offline   Reply With Quote