Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:25   #1
1*45

WAL MART pulling rifles and ammo?

I was in WAL Mart yesterday in Warrenton, Va, The complete section with the rifles and ammo is gone. Whats up with that? has anyone seen anything with there local store?
Looks like a political thing again.
H-K certified armorer MP5/Rifle/USP
1*45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:41   #2
Powder Monkey
Bravo Zulu!

Vultures can smell a meal a long way off. I've noticed diminshed inventories in our local Walmart as well. No doubt, a corporate decision based on what sells the most/makes to most money for them balanced against what could hurt them in court and in PR. Can you imagine the how the skies would have darkened with vast numbers of circling attorneys over every Walmart had the VT shooter purchased his stuff there?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:44   #3
packrat213

About two months ago I was making my normal ammo run at the Wally World in Leesburg and the guy gave me a heads up, saying that he thought they would be getting out of the gun business and they were going to put all the guns on clearance. Needless to say, I checked regularly! I went in about two weeks ago and all the guns were gone. I asked him what happened and he said they sent out a memo for all stores to pack up what they had on hand and ship them back to the main warehouse in Arkansas. Still don't know what prompted the decision.
packrat213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:48   #4
MD Mountain Man
2A Supporter

Sears bought out wal mart a while ago. I am betting the new decision makers at the helm are respponsible for this change.
MD Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:11   #5
Dandapani

Quote:
Originally posted by MD Mountain Man
Sears bought out wal mart a while ago.
not Wal-Mart, it was K-MART!
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:14   #6
klt1986

Quote:
Originally posted by MD Mountain Man
Sears bought out wal mart a while ago. I am betting the new decision makers at the helm are respponsible for this change.

I don't think Sears bought WalMart. Sears and KMart merged a couple years ago and that may be what you are thinking about. The rumor on several other message boards is that WalMart is pulling the guns from select stores that do not sell alot of firearms.
klt1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:01   #7
watsoncb
CLM Number 40
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via MSN to watsoncb Send a message via Yahoo to watsoncb

Wal Mart Guns

It seems to me that the Wal Mart in-store firearm displays have been getting worse for some time. I suspect that is due to the reduction of floor help to reduce costs and the need for dedicated floor staff that require specialized training to monitor inventory and complete the paperwork when selling a firearm. But Wal Mart's special order firearms (shotguns and rifles) web site is still up...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catal...&catNavId=4155

I have used Wal Mart's firearms special order system several times and found very good pricing. All you need is a firearm certified store close by. In the NoVa area Chantilly, VA Wal Mart is certified.

Glock Talk Charter Lifetime Member #40
Glockers of the Old Dominion #648
Smith & Wesson Club #648
Black Rifle Club #648
Kalashnikov Klub #648
The 10 Ring #648
Sub Club #648

Last edited by watsoncb; 04-22-2007 at 08:07..
watsoncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:43   #8
valkyrie0002

The Walmart in F'burg stopped selling guns a while back but about 6 miles down the road in Massaponax Walmart has guns.
valkyrie0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:53   #9
Truckee
Aging Goat

my 0.02

K Mart bought Sears. This disheartened me as K Mart is an extremely Anti corporation. I do not support K Mart holdings unless an absolute must (i.e. I own many Craftsman brand tools).

This Wal Mart thing has been discussed many times. Corporate has very little to say about firearms. There also is no official prohibition in corporate guidelines, meaning the lawful may carry into Wally's World.

During Katrina, this question arose over WM closing down it's firearms/ammo sales in various stores. Corporate issued a statement saying that any decision to cease firearm sales was determined at the local/individual store management level.

Last edited by Truckee; 04-22-2007 at 09:02..
Truckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:07   #10
bwithoutremorse

Wal-mart leaving the firearms business is good for the traditional gun shops whose sales were suffering from wal-mart.

Last edited by bwithoutremorse; 04-22-2007 at 17:22..
bwithoutremorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:03   #11
klt1986

Quote:
Originally posted by bwithoutremorse
Wal-mart leaving the firearms business is good for the traditional gun shops whose sales were suffering from wal-mart.
I agree with you to a point but in many areas, Wal Mart is the only thing that keeps local firearms prices reasonable.
klt1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 13:45   #12
Dandapani

Re: my 0.02

Quote:
Originally posted by Truckee
K Mart bought Sears.
Looks to me like a merger of equals:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....4973&highlight

Quote:
Kmart Holding Corporation and Sears, Roebuck and Co. Agree To Merge

TROY, Mich. & HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 17, 2004--
Combination Creates 3rd Largest U.S. Retailer With $55 Billion in Annual Revenues; Will Have Broader Retail Presence and Improved Scale and Operational Efficiency

Kmart Holding Corporation (NASDAQ:KMRT) and Sears, Roebuck and Co. (NYSE:S) announced today they have signed a definitive merger agreement that will combine Sears and Kmart into a major new retail company named Sears Holdings Corporation. Sears Holdings will be the nation's third largest retailer, with approximately $55 billion in annual revenues, 2,350 full-line and off-mall stores, and 1,100 specialty retail stores.

Both Sears, Roebuck and Kmart have made significant strides in transforming their organizations, and the merger will further accelerate this process for both companies. Sears Holdings will be headquartered in Hoffman Estates, IL, and Kmart will continue to have a significant presence in Troy, MI. The combined business will have a broader retail presence and improved scale through a national footprint of nearly 3,500 retail stores. The combined company will also benefit from improved operational efficiency in areas such as procurement, marketing, information technology and supply chain management.

Under the terms of the agreement, which was unanimously approved by both companies' boards of directors, Kmart shareholders will receive one share of new Sears Holdings common stock for each Kmart share.
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 16:07   #13
MD Mountain Man
2A Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by klt1986
I don't think Sears bought WalMart. Sears and KMart merged a couple years ago and that may be what you are thinking about. The rumor on several other message boards is that WalMart is pulling the guns from select stores that do not sell alot of firearms.
You are right. I don't know where my head was when I posted.
MD Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 21:24   #14
sigpro357

Quote:
Originally posted by bwithoutremorse
Yeah your right. Because my paycheck is so big that I can afford to buy 100 rounds of Winchester White Box .40 Cal at Gander Mountain for 29.99 when I could go to Wal-Mart and get it for 19.99. Buy two boxes from Gander Mountain and you could get three from Wal-Mart.

The local gun shops are only higher. I pray Wal-Mart doesn't stop selling firearms and ammunition.
sigpro357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:37   #15
Fungunner

I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons to shop at Wal-Mart. They keep dropping other products I was buying too. If they stop selling ammo and gun stuff, I'll give them the same amount of business I give K-Mart - ZILCH, or NADA to their staff.

Heck, even the announcements over the PA system are now in Spanish.

George Bernard Shaw
Fungunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:35   #16
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
JAMBOG!
I was quite a few months ago that Wal-Mart announced over 2/3 of their stores were closing the gun sales counters.

Is this better?

Last edited by Blitzer; 04-23-2007 at 15:18..
Blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:16   #17
bulwaagh

Hey man, I think these guys were discussing which local stores were getting out of the firearms and not a general "OMG Did you hear walmart stopped selling guns" thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Best $15 I've spent
g22
g19
bulwaagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 13:45   #18
Dan

The guy at the counter in Roanke on Orange Ave told me the WalMarts will be pulling guns and ammo by 2008 and some stores depending on sales might be sooner.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 15:10   #19
Dan0076
Special Member

I was in the Wal-Mart (Nimmo) in Va. Beach yesterday and noticed that all of the rifles were gone. I didn't bother looking to see if they still were selling ammo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Dan0076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 15:16   #20
KosherNRA
DJ Jazzy Jew

Ol' Sam Walton is rolling in his grave with this news....

Glocker #007
KosherNRA is offline   Reply With Quote