Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:24   #1
tacshooter0233
Armored Box

open carry in Kentucky

Is open carry allowed in Kentucky?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:20   #2
Houngan

Yes, nearly everywhere. Schools, government buildings (you can argue this one) bars, and some other places are restricted, and all businesses would have the right to ask you to leave. It's an interpretation of our constitution.

H.
Houngan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 13:49   #3
Berretta9

It is but expect to questioned about it. It's been a few years ago but I saw a guy trying to make a point at 7th and Jefferson in front of the Hall of Justice. While he was legal in having a gun on his hip I watched the police strongly suggest he not do so. Why would you want to anyway ???
Berretta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 14:36   #4
B+Shooter
Last Man Out!

The way it was explained to me once that open carry is legal, but that many police will get you for creating a public disturbance or inciting a riot. Just because you can beat it in court doesn't mean that you don't get your butt hauled off to jail.

I'm legal beyotches!!
Old 04-26-2007, 05:30   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally posted by B+Shooter
The way it was explained to me once that open carry is legal, but that many police will get you for creating a public disturbance or inciting a riot. Just because you can beat it in court doesn't mean that you don't get your butt hauled off to jail.

I'm legal beyotches!!
Having been the police and being a legal advisor for the police now, I think that's wrong. We never paid much attention to people open carrying and I have never heard a police officer give any advice other than open carry is perfectly legal in KY. Never even heard a rumor of people getting a hard time about it.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:34   #6
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Houngan
Yes, nearly everywhere. Schools, government buildings (you can argue this one) bars, and some other places are restricted, and all businesses would have the right to ask you to leave. It's an interpretation of our constitution.

H.
You can carry a gun, open or concealed, in most government buildings. I work for state government in Frankfort - they tell us that we need to be careful with our guns when there are inmates working in the building, but concealed carry isn't even discouraged. If you go in the capitol, they will check your CCDW permit if you set off the metal detectors and your gun is concealed, but you can go on in with a gun. Local government seems more likely to limit firearms in buildings but state government usually does not. My wife is also a state attorney and one of her cabinet's offices recently tried to keep an employee from carrying a gun at work or in state vehicles - the lawyers told them they can't do that.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:20   #7
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Bren
You can carry a gun, open or concealed, in most government buildings. I work for state government in Frankfort - they tell us that we need to be careful with our guns when there are inmates working in the building, but concealed carry isn't even discouraged. If you go in the capitol, they will check your CCDW permit if you set off the metal detectors and your gun is concealed, but you can go on in with a gun. Local government seems more likely to limit firearms in buildings but state government usually does not. My wife is also a state attorney and one of her cabinet's offices recently tried to keep an employee from carrying a gun at work or in state vehicles - the lawyers told them they can't do that.
That's fantastic to know.
Old 04-26-2007, 13:48   #8
wprebeck
Got quacks?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bren
Having been the police and being a legal advisor for the police now, I think that's wrong. We never paid much attention to people open carrying and I have never heard a police officer give any advice other than open carry is perfectly legal in KY. Never even heard a rumor of people getting a hard time about it.
That's because you're not in liberal Louisville....

Urban folks tend to get scared at the sight of a gun. Police get called, and some of them have no clue as to the open carry laws (not slamming them, as I am an officer for a different agency up here; just stating a fact).

Oh, and Bren:
If you ever get stopped by a redhead with a long last name in Frankfort, don't mention the fact that you're a state employee. He REALLY enjoys ticketing those folks....
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 16:13   #9
tacshooter0233
Armored Box

Thank you for the replies. A guy I work with had that question. His wife is going through a citizens police academy with Louisville Metro and the open carry question came up in class. The instructor ( an LMPD officer) stated that you could only carry in the open if you had a concealed weapon permit. I'm not sure how that conclusion was arrived at but we could find no KRS that backed his statement up.

If you carry in the open here in Louisville I firmly believe you will have a police contact and you will end up arrested.
Old 04-26-2007, 17:37   #10
highway

are banks off limits in KY ?
highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 17:47   #11
B+Shooter
Last Man Out!

As long as you don't stand in the back of the line and shout "What's the holdup?"

Old 04-26-2007, 18:04   #12
MythBuster

Some Ky cities have a local city ordinance against open carry. I was told that they really can't do this because it is against state law but they do it anyway.

And I would guarantee you that if you walk around in Louisville openly carrying a pistol you WILL be arrested and possibly shot.
MythBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 20:04   #13
spork
Caffeinator

I have open carried in Louisville without a problem. Usually it was just a matter of forgeting to cover or put my jacket back on. I have even done this in Barnes and Noble and Starbucks and nobody said a word.

In addition,when I was a parole officer I wore a gun all the time while on duty, but while in plain clothes. I never had a single problem anywhere in the city.

The officer giving the training for that citizens' academy is incorrect about open carry being illegal or requiring a permit. Like wprebeck, I have met more than a few officers that simply don't know the law while I was still with my department. Thus, it is possible, that depending on where a person is at and what officer he encouters, to get the third degree if carrying openly. I seriously doubt that it would result in an actual arrest, but rather, an annoying exchange that would last until his supervisor showed up and told him to let you go.

What I have learned is that if you are acting like you know exactly what you are doing and don't look like you just got out of prison or basically just look like trouble, then most people will not really worry about you carrying openly in this state. In addition, I think it helps to have the weapon properly holstered.

Last edited by spork; 04-26-2007 at 20:22..
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 23:56   #14
michael t

I got 3 cruisers in Lex several years ago for open carry of my Randel knife. I was on my street about a block from my home Officer spotted on a drive by .He waited for back up and Then stopped me. many questions and ran me on computer. They just couldn't understand why I had a large 7" blade knife. (I had been in woods that morning and hadn't removed.) Findly let me go . Total waste of time for me and them. I moved to country less than mo later and now advoid Lexington or Louisville . To many bleeding hearts Libs in both cities. Louisville reminds me of NO before storm All show with lots of crime and killing behind the smoke screen. Lexington working hard to catch up .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
michael t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 13:36   #15
TheXXFiles

I use to open carry all the time when I was at Eastern Kentucky University.
TheXXFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 14:16   #16
wprebeck
Got quacks?

Quote:
Originally posted by highway
are banks off limits in KY ?

Banks are fine....

Tell Ofc. Virola (who usually runs the citizen's academy) to get with Dennis Sims, who is the department legal advisor.

Maybe then, we can get this misinformation stopped....because there is NO law against open carry in Kentucky. And no, there is no ordinance against it in Louisville, mainly because that would violate the state's preemption law regarding the carrying of firearms.

Again, open carry is legal (not the smartest thing in a city, but there ya go) in Kentucky. Carrying in banks is also legal in Kentucky. For more info, check out the "carrying concealed" link at www.kentuckystatepolice.org

Oh, and the "no firearms" signs simply mean that the store doesn't want you carrying....it's not illegal to, but you must leave if asked to do so. If you don't, then it's a possible criminal trespass charge.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 20:19   #17
Razoreye
♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Quote:
Originally posted by MythBuster
Some Ky cities have a local city ordinance against open carry. I was told that they really can't do this because it is against state law but they do it anyway.

And I would guarantee you that if you walk around in Louisville openly carrying a pistol you WILL be arrested and possibly shot.
Negative. State constitution trumps it and I seriously doubt the local legislation. I suppose it is possible.

And your guarantee is dead wrong. Stop spreading stupid rumors. Thanks.

And the RKBA openly is in the KY Constitution and note how only the carrying of concealed arms can be regulated.

Kentucky Constitution
Section 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rights of life, liberty, worship, pursuit of safety and happiness, free speech, acquiring and protecting property, peaceable assembly, redress of grievances, bearing arms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All men are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned:

First: The right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties.

Second: The right of worshipping Almighty God according to the dictates of their consciences.

Third: The right of seeking and pursuing their safety and happiness.

Fourth: The right of freely communicating their thoughts and opinions.

Fifth: The right of acquiring and protecting property.

Sixth: The right of assembling together in a peaceable manner for their common good, and of applying to those invested with the power of government for redress of grievances or other proper purposes, by petition, address or remonstrance.

Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons.

Text as Ratified on: August 3, 1891, and revised September 28, 1891.
History: Not yet amended.
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legresou/constitu/001.htm

And if I close my mind in fear... Please pry it open!

Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.
Razoreye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 23:03   #18
FPD45

Quote:
Originally posted by MythBuster

...and which cities are these???? You are not gonna get arrested in Ky. for open carry. Yes some one might get scared and call the police, and some officers might come check you out, but that is in all likelyhood all that will happen.
FPD45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:42   #19
Berretta9

I don't think you'd be shot or arrested. I've seen a guy get hasseled for open carry.
Berretta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 17:18   #20
MythBuster

I really don't care what the state law or city law says if you open carry in Louisville or Lexington you WILL be hassled by the cops.
MythBuster is offline   Reply With Quote