SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2007, 18:08   #1
HoosierShooter
Copper Member

Eagle Creek Range

Anyone shoot here? Is it a pretty nice place? I just moved up here from Shelbyville and I'm about 3 minutes from the range. I checked out the prices and even considered applying for the range position on Sundays, but I always end up with too much to do on the weekends. I would like to try it out some weekend, I figure I could squeeze in an hour or so from time to time. I know the range is closed to the public through the week, but does IMPD or someome else use it during the week? I hear what sounds like range fire sometimes, but it could be some of the road construction around the area I guess.
Old 04-26-2007, 19:25   #2
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

BTW sjstill is the chief RO there. The cops have it M-F and every now and then on the weekends too. It is $15 a day (no hourly crap there, you get the whole day) or get a 10 visit pass for $65 which has no expiration date and is by far the best deal. Call before you come out just to make sure they are open. Also the hours are 10am-4pm.

50-ish yards to the backstop (a tad closer to 60), pistols, pistol caliber rifles, rimfires of any type, and shotguns (any load that does not set things on fire) are allowed. SBRs, suppressors, etc. are allowed. Black powder is fine with BP substitute (Pyrodex, triple seven, etc.). There is even an archery range if that floats your boat (it does mine, but I cannot afford another hobby).

Man, I talk like I work there or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 20:19   #3
sjstill

I've heard it's an OK place
Old 04-27-2007, 05:03   #4
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

You just have to watch out for some of the characters there. I have heard that some of them even go out on "man dates"
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:46   #5
mpholic

By far one of the best pistol ranges open to the public in central Indiana. We do allow shotguns, .22LR rifles and pistol caliber rifles.

As you can tell from above most of the staff think they are comedians but don't let that deter you from coming out. They really are very professional, knowledgable gun enthusiats. We just like a light hearted atmosphere compared to the stiff militaristic mindset some range operators think is necessary.

Most of the staff are NRA certified. We have a certified AR15 technician, a certified Glock armor and a retired police officer. Definitely a good group of people.

Hope to see you there.
mpholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:25   #6
WetPhoneBook
Beer is good!

So if I want to shoot rifle calibers, do I have to go all the way to Atterbury?
WetPhoneBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:37   #7
mpholic

Quote:
Originally posted by WetPhoneBook
So if I want to shoot rifle calibers, do I have to go all the way to Atterbury?
Yes.

We'd like to change that but continue to run into a lot of resistance from the higher ups.

You may also look into the other DNR ranges that allow centerfire rifles.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:52   #8
WetPhoneBook
Beer is good!

Quote:
Originally posted by mpholic
Yes.

We'd like to change that but continue to run into a lot of resistance from the higher ups.

You may also look into the other DNR ranges that allow centerfire rifles.
There is supposed to be a DNR range up Rt. 31 in Attica, but I drove up there and it looked like someone's backyard. No one answered the phone number either, but this was a few years ago.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:58   #9
mpholic

http://www.communitywalk.com/map/2791
Old 04-27-2007, 08:00   #10
WetPhoneBook
Beer is good!

Thanks!

Ha! Why is Don's Guns listed as "Place to Avoid"?

Anyone ever been to the Wilbur Wright DNR in New Castle? That looks closer on the map.

Last edited by WetPhoneBook; 04-27-2007 at 08:04..
Old 04-27-2007, 08:01   #11
mpholic

Quote:
Thanks.

Anyone ever been to the Wilbur Wright DNR in New Castle? That looks closer on the map.
I have not, but I am curious as to what it is like myself.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:11   #12
mpholic

Quote:
Ha! Why is Don's Guns listed as "Place to Avoid"?
In a VERY bad neighborhood. Frequented by unsavory characters. Possible links to residential gun thefts. Owner is a crook (and that's putting it nicely). Owner frequently speaks out against gun rights (figure that one out). Poorly maintained, poorly lighted range.

Should I go on?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:38   #13
WetPhoneBook
Beer is good!

Quote:
Originally posted by mpholic
In a VERY bad neighborhood. Frequented by unsavory characters. Possible links to residential gun thefts. Owner is a crook (and that's putting it nicely). Owner frequently speaks out against gun rights (figure that one out). Poorly maintained, poorly lighted range.

Should I go on?
No, it's everything you say it is!

I remember he had a place up in Carmel which wasn't all that bad till they left in 2000. I've actually been to the one on Lafayette road two times just to use the indoor hi-power range. I figure I have an AK-47 and a Glock so the neighborhood doesn't scare me. The other shooters on the lane next door are another story however...
Old 04-27-2007, 09:54   #14
mpholic

Quote:
No, it's everything you say it is!

I remember he had a place up in Carmel which wasn't all that bad till they left in 2000. I've actually been to the one on Lafayette road two times just to use the indoor hi-power range. I figure I have an AK-47 and a Glock so the neighborhood doesn't scare me. The other shooters on the lane next door are another story however...
Never made it to the Carmel range, I had heard it was OK. I drive through the bad neighborhood frequently on my way home when 465 is backed up and never had any problems. Just wouldn't want to have my car breakdown there at 2 in the morning.

It once was a very nice neighborhood. When my wife and I were dating (over 30 years ago) we spent most of our time in that neighboorhood. Look at it now.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:08   #15
luxone
dis-Member

Eagle Creek is a really nice range. If you would like to join a private club that has year-round access check out Marion County Fish and Game . The first year is $100 and it's $75 per year after that. We are pretty much a pistol, rim-fire, shotgun, and muzzleloader club. We do not allow center fire rifles. There are a few other restrictions that you can learn about at the website.

The lesser of 2 evils is still evil!
Vote Ron Paul!

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
luxone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:13   #16
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by luxone
Eagle Creek is a really nice range. If you would like to join a private club that has year-round access check out Marion County Fish and Game . The first year is $100 and it's $75 per year after that. We are pretty much a pistol, rim-fire, shotgun, and muzzleloader club. We do not allow center fire rifles. There are a few other restrictions that you can learn about at the website.
+1 MCFG is great for those who have weekday daytime open as it is pretty dead then. They do have a lot of competitions and such in the evening and on the weekends, but if you want to compete that is a good thing. I am thinking about trying my hand at .22lr bullseye since I happen to have a Baikal .22lr bullseye target pistol.

In fact I have a friend who I work with second shift during the week coming out on Sat (bowling pin day! ) to check out the range since he loves his black powder guns and has days open to shoot them. I am going to let him run through the pins with one of my guns just to let him try it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 13:30   #17
Fenway

Its free. Thats the best thing I can say about the place.

Quote:
Anyone ever been to the Wilbur Wright DNR in New Castle? That looks closer on the map. [/B]
Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 13:35   #18
mpholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenway
Its free. Thats the best thing I can say about the place.
Not a very glowing recommendation. Guess I won't go out of my to check it out. Darn. I had hoped for better.
Old 04-28-2007, 13:04   #19
minuteman32
NRA & GOA Life

I shoot (or should say, shot) @ Eagle Creek. But, since I joined MCF&G, I don't get there as much.

E.C. +'s;
1) Nice guys working there
2) Nice set up & targets provided
3) Good deal (if you get the $65 pass)
4) Get to meet several other shooters, usually.
5) Pretty relaxed setting

E.C. -'s;
1) Only open on weekends (usually)
2) Kind of pricey (IMHO) if you pay by the visit ($15/day)
3) No full auto (not an issue w/ me, but it's the principle)

MCF&G +'s;
1) Open most times you might want to go (check schedule @ indyrange.com).
2) Convenient.
3) Usually not crowded.
4) Rather inexpensive ($100 first year, $75 renewal)
5) Lots of activities to be involved in.

MCF&G -'s;
1) Considering the activities above, not always open (there are a few hundred members, can't be treated like ones own private range.
2) Rules. Some (most in fact) make sense, some just don't!
3) The fellow members that are a pain, are the 'Elmer Fudds' (some of the trap shooters/hunters that think THEY are who the 2nd Amendment [& IN Constitution, article I, sec. 32] were written for).

I would (& did) join MCF&G, &/or any organization/range close to you, & get yourself a pass to E.C. Then, you have the better of both.
minuteman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:08   #20
HoosierShooter
Copper Member

Thanks for all the info. I just saw the post regarding EC opening on Friday nights in May, sounds like I'll pay it a visit.