SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2007, 13:09   #1
mossy500camo
ammo found

Using scents for fishing?

Anybody here use spray on, dips, etc scents while fishing? While at the sportinggoods store yesterday. A guy told me to buy a can of bass scent spray. He said "that this scent would cover human scent and bass and/or other fish would hold onto the baits longer". And would attract fish better than your plain jane plastics worms, jigs, etc. Any info? Thanks Mossy!

ps
Attractants.

Last edited by mossy500camo; 04-29-2007 at 14:49..
mossy500camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 16:19   #2
noway

I do I use the Yum and Berkley powerbait. What I normally do is to soak my palstic lures/worms in it and also use it on my hands to keep any oil and scents off.

One trick that I was told of by a Bass Professional fisherman, any deer scent eliminator works find also on your hands and such when fishing. Now with the attractors, I found out they seems to get more nibbles and bites and bass loves to take a 1st hard attack at worms when the scent is used. YMMV
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 16:37   #3
mossy500camo
ammo found

noway, Thanks for the info. I just got back from browsing the local baitshop. I picked up a bottle of 'BaitMate' for Gamefish. I will be going fishing again next Sat. So... I'll give a full report then. Thanks again Mossy!

noway, You are probably a more experienced Bass fisherman than I. Have you ever tried the soft plastics called a "Fluke"? I have been told that the Bass are tearing them up around my area. Just curious how to work them..

Last edited by mossy500camo; 04-29-2007 at 19:01..
Old 04-29-2007, 16:39   #4
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

I have never really tried them. In theory they should work. But I do not think that using them will give you a large advantage.
Brass Nazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 18:48   #5
mossy500camo
ammo found

James, Thanks for the reply. Ill give it a try anyway. If it doesnt work. I'll just be out $5.
Old 04-29-2007, 21:49   #6
noway

{noway, You are probably a more experienced Bass fisherman than I. Have you ever tried the soft plastics called a "Fluke"? I have been told that the Bass are tearing them up around my area. Just curious how to work them..}

I use the "superfluke" with a lite lead nose cone weight. Cast them at a parrell distance and slow retrieve with a jiggle and they work very fine.

the onlybad thing about this bait imho, they don't hold up as other baits and weared down very quickly.

But I do like to use them when the mood is right.
Old 04-29-2007, 22:01   #7
noway

Hey fwiw, I thought I would suggest the DOA cal series bait. Here's a picture of a package and take heed of the powerbait lure attractive in the background.

The DOA unlike the superfluke body are more rigid and tuff'er and don't tear up from repetitive hook/rehookings unlike the super flukes series.

The CAL series are used by fish anglers of linesides ( snook ) , red drums ( redfish ) and bass fishers with good results. I use these and along with chartreuse colors in light to stained waters with just alittle weight on 6-8lb test. I love to hooked these weedless and cast them on top of lilly pads and then flip them off.

If you have a big largemouth underneath, you can get a good strike.Just make sure you steer them away from the lilly pads roots so they don't get caught up with the underwater vegation.
Old 04-29-2007, 22:03   #8
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

I have never used a Fluke but I like to use a slug-go around boat docks.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:01   #9
mossy500camo
ammo found

Wow! Thanks for the info guys. I will look into the DOA baits.
Old 05-01-2007, 21:24   #10
T-Dubb

another way to fish that fluke........I dont like to use any weight on mine. just a 4/0 hook an 12# test. it stays real close to the surface that way, an I give little jerks to the side with the rod. slow if ya want it to sink a little an fast if ya want it to stay on top.

great lure though, ussually when bass hit it.....they mean bizness
T-Dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 16:24   #11
noway

imho superfluke are to lite to sink and take forever but than again you have YMMV. Granted a heavier hook might give it some more weight.

Also beadvise, an unweighted superfluke is just about next to impossible to cast with any distance and accuracy into a simple to moderate breeze like that here in SE/FLA

One additional trick you can do if you don't fancy a tx/caroline rig setting, is to use a weighted hook.

e.g Finacky (sp?) and others have weighted hooks in the typical 1/0-4/0 sizes that works great with these superfluke and superfluke like bait and they ( finacky ) don't hang up in the weeds around the hook neck and such. The hooks do cost more than a typical Mustard or Japanesse-style hook, but they performance could be worth the extra pennies and dimes that you spend per hook.

just my 2cts opinions.
Old 05-02-2007, 19:29   #12
T-Dubb

Mossy500camo do you fish from a boat? if so you might also try a hard stick bait. you can still use them from shore but its alot trickier.

try rogue or luckycraft I have good luck with those two. rapalas work as well but I cant throw em as far

Noway what kinda rod an reel are you usin? I cant cast a fluke a mile but I can get it out to where the fish are most times
Old 05-02-2007, 21:50   #13
noway

For LG mouth bass, it's mainly a berkley composite rod with a shimano sedona RB reel or a Shimano rod with a Quantum reverse drag reel, either one with #6 or maybe #8 line, if I fish in heavy rocky bottoms or from a boat/canoe around pilers. Also a Berkly lightin rod with a Quantum 501 series baitcaster are my main setups, or a Falcon Rod paired with a Curado baitcaster.

I use less and less of my baitcaster and more so later on in the year.

For Crappie/Bluegills, Cichlids, Tilapia or Warmouths, equal a Falcon UltraLight rod with cheap sml Abu Garcia Cardinals laced up with #4 lite green line. Caught a tub full of fishes with this setup and even a few bass on crappie rigs & grub tails and or spinners.

For Peacocks, Big Cichlids or snooks, it's a Falcon rod with a Quantum snapshot also with a reverse drag mounted on sometimes on a ugly stick. Laced with #8 or#10. If the water is stained I go with the thicker line, if fish water control structure it's #10 or even #12 due to the trash and hangups and that most of my lures are $5-9 in cost

I also use use 2 other Falcon rods with either a shimano or quantum baitcaster for bass or peacock, but I only use these from shore or standing bass boats.

fwiw: I have about 10 rods/reels combos just for freshwater and 2 for saltwater that I used.

joke: If I had to live off my freshwater catch I would most likely die
Old 05-02-2007, 21:56   #14
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

Is chichild the correct name for "oscars"? My grandfather used to take me to the canals in south Florida to catch them.
Old 05-02-2007, 23:15   #15
mossy500camo
ammo found

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Dubb
Mossy500camo do you fish from a boat? if so you might also try a hard stick bait.
Yep! Hey! Thanks for the info.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:56   #16
noway

{Is chichild the correct name for "oscars"? My grandfather used to take me to the canals in south Florida to catch them.

}

Well kinda but the Cichlids I'm refering to are the Mayans aka known as the tiger fish or mexican fish ( it's very common in centro Americas ; )

Peacock, Oscar and Mayan are in the cichlid families. This is the same family of fishes you see at the tropical fish pet stores like the African Cichlids.

The bad thing on Oscars are; they aren't very colder water tolerant so you see alot in the south Miami-Dade counties and hardly any past the PalmBch/Broward line.

Peacock aren't to cool water tolerant either and the Mayans are slightly better than the Peacock and Oscar.

Here's some pictures;

oscar

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

Mayan

Peacock ( aka Peacock bass, Butterfly bass and the proper name of Ocellarius Cichlid )

Old 05-03-2007, 14:57   #17
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

Thanks for the info. I used to have a lot of fun catching oscars. They really put up a fight for a relatively small fish. We used to catch them in the canals that are surounded by sawgrass. I believe we were relatively close to Miami.
Old 05-03-2007, 21:23   #18
T-Dubb

you should be able to throw that fluke pretty good with that curado set up. that was the best deal on reel for the longest time, but shimano caught on an upped the price alot.

I am real jealous I would love to catch a peacock bass. I will just have to stick with wiper for super fighters for now
Old 05-03-2007, 22:15   #19
THEPOPE
Nibb

Hi, Mossy, to the question...I use "BANG" by Berkely, a spray in craw-fish scents....usually on the jig-n-pig, as it resembles the prey ,craw-fish ,I am trying to copy.

I have used it to cover/mask other odors, like tobacco,soaps,oil, etc, that may be on my hands.

Good luck, sir...ime out

the Pope with most....Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
THEPOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 22:47   #20
mossy500camo
ammo found

Quote:
Originally posted by THEPOPE
Hi, Mossy, to the question...I use "BANG" by Berkely, a spray in craw-fish scents....usually on the jig-n-pig, as it resembles the prey ,craw-fish ,I am trying to copy.

I have used it to cover/mask other odors, like tobacco,soaps,oil, etc, that may be on my hands.

Good luck, sir...ime out
Hi! Thanks for the info.