Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-30-2007, 18:31   #1
Calhoun123

Anyone have legislative connections?

Does anyone have an established relationship with a legislator?

We need a list of people who are on our side and willing to step up and offer new pro gun legislation. For example, HB 461 is anti gun, but we could live with it, especially if we could get schools of the list of prohibited places for CCW in return. But, someone needs to work it from the inside.

Thoughts?
Calhoun123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 13:31   #2
atimetobuild
Tactibilly

Here are the State Reps that co-sponsored the Castle Doctrine bill. They are were I am planning to look for support for Louisiana Carry's proposed amendments.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdat...asp?did=402076

HOUSE BILL NO. 1097
BY REPRESENTATIVES LAFLEUR, ALEXANDER, BALDONE, BAUDOIN,
BAYLOR, BRUCE, BURRELL, CAZAYOUX, CRANE, CRAVINS, CROWE,
DANIEL, DARTEZ, DOERGE, DORSEY, DOWNS, DURAND, ERDEY,
FANNIN, FARRAR, FRITH, GLOVER, GREENE, M. GUILLORY, HEBERT,
HILL, HUTTER, JOHNS, KATZ, KENNEY, LABRUZZO, MCDONALD,
MONTGOMERY, ODINET, PITRE, M. POWELL, T. POWELL, RITCHIE,
ROBIDEAUX, SALTER, SCALISE, SMILEY, GARY SMITH, JACK SMITH,
JOHN SMITH, ST. GERMAIN, STRAIN, THOMPSON, TOWNSEND,
WADDELL, WALKER, WHITE, AND WINSTON

The problem is many Reps are reaching their term limits, and others may be unseated by this time next year, so we will have a new crop to learn about. I am working with the NRA State Liason to learn who is on our side, but she is working in TX this year, since this is primarily a fiscal year for our Legislature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

atimetobuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 19:39   #3
Calhoun123

FWIW, I did coorespond with Rep. Gallot regarding HB 461 today. I suggested he might be able to pass his ban on guns in dorms in exchange for allowing dorm residents to store guns with campus police and allowing permit holders to carry in gun free school zones. He indicated that he would seriously review my proposal. We'll see.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:52   #4
Nurseman

Quote:
Originally posted by Calhoun123
FWIW, I did coorespond with Rep. Gallot regarding HB 461 today. I suggested he might be able to pass his ban on guns in dorms in exchange for allowing dorm residents to store guns with campus police and allowing permit holders to carry in gun free school zones. He indicated that he would seriously review my proposal. We'll see.
That is not a good idea!! if that passes the head of the LSU police just has to put up a sign banning CCW and it has the same effect as a total ban. Why should the students have to store with Campus police? If you have seen the news, the LSU campus police are very anti gun an have promised to make it a gun free campus. I can envision all sorts of ways that they can make it difficult for students with fees for storage, inconvenient times for picking up guns and worst of all "lockdowns" when students may actually need the guns such as Katrina like events.
The best policy is to not negotiate with anti gun Reps. Just make sure they know that you will be funding their removal from office next election.
BigDawg#1489/BladeRunner#226/BayouClub#226
Sig 226 ST 9mm
Glock 21/26
Springfield XD 45 5"
Nurseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:07   #5
atimetobuild
Tactibilly

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurseman
That is not a good idea!! if that passes the head of the LSU police just has to put up a sign banning CCW and it has the same effect as a total ban. Why should the students have to store with Campus police? If you have seen the news, the LSU campus police are very anti gun an have promised to make it a gun free campus. I can envision all sorts of ways that they can make it difficult for students with fees for storage, inconvenient times for picking up guns and worst of all "lockdowns" when students may actually need the guns such as Katrina like events.
The best policy is to not negotiate with anti gun Reps. Just make sure they know that you will be funding their removal from office next election.
+1

Old 05-05-2007, 16:56   #6
jurisglock
NOLA lives.

Send a message via AIM to jurisglock
Let's keep an eye on H.B. 869, too.

I keep trying to talk to the representative (Cedric Richmond, IIRC, from the 101st in New Orleans East)who introduced it, but his legislative aide hasn't answered the phone yet.

It's a gross violation of the Fourth and Fifth Amendment as well as the Second Amendment, so I don't expect it to pass the criminal justice committee, but there's always that risk, you know?
jurisglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 19:59   #7
Calhoun123

Look at what I suggested - - exempting CCW from gun free school zones (ALL OF THEM).

I expect the original legislation to pass. If not this session, it will in another. We might as well try to get something out of it.
Old 05-05-2007, 20:26   #8
Nurseman

If you read the law you will see that in LA posting one paper sign makes CCW illegal. So what you get is the legal right to carry a weapon on school property as long as the college administration doesn't mind - all of the colleges will quickly post signs before the ink is dry on the bill. so what you end up with is a total ban that even effects the safe transport / storage in the car.

This bill will not pass - as long as people don't give up and fall for political tricks. Our 2nd rights are not to be negotiated.
Sig 226 ST 9mm
Glock 21/26
Springfield XD 45 5"
Old 05-06-2007, 06:53   #9
Calhoun123

I understand what ya'll are saying, but....

all types of schools and colleges/universities are ALEADY gun free zones with the one exception of dorm residents going to and from their vehicle. There are no other exceptions including CCW.

IF CCW was specifically allowed on campus, it would be a net gain for our side.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:20   #10
Nurseman

Quote:
I understand what ya'll are saying, but....

all types of schools and colleges/universities are ALEADY gun free zones with the one exception of dorm residents going to and from their vehicle. There are no other exceptions including CCW.

IF CCW was specifically allowed on campus, it would be a net gain for our side.
OK one more time

It would be a net loss since we would be lose the to and from the vehicle or even storage in a vehicle. -- Loss

Your thinking that a law that allows CCW on campus would be a gain however it is not a gain since the college would not be forced to allow CCW. The law would just not prevent them from allowing CCW. In other words the college could allow CCW just like any other business, however LSU, Loyola, Tulane and the county colleges all have totally anti - gun policies and administration that will post signs saying no guns allowed which allows them to deny CCW even if the new bill provides an exception for CCW on campus.Property owners have the right in LA to deny CCW at any time by posting a sign - That does not go away so in effect this will be a paper gain but it will never be realized. - neutral

So we have a loss plus a neutral -1 + 0 = -1 LOSS

It will be better to just vote down the bill (as it is with all bills from anti gun politicians) I completely disagree that this bill is inevitable --most anti gun legislation dies in the LA assembly. It is poorly thought out compromises that put our rights at risk.
Sig 226 ST 9mm
Glock 21/26
Springfield XD 45 5"

Last edited by Nurseman; 05-06-2007 at 08:26..
Old 05-06-2007, 16:57   #11
Calhoun123

I don't mind this debate, but your incorrect.

Carry in a vehicle, in a dorm, etc. is prohibited by every college, but applies only to students and is policy not law.

Carry on campus by anyone (except a student violating policy and going to/from car/dorm) is currently a crime, even with CCW.

Carry in a vehicle is not a crime by anyone with or without a CCW. The vehicle is an extension of ones home per LA constitution IIRC. No proposed legislation can or will change this.

If my suggestion made it into law, the only thing given up would be the ability to break campus policy without also being charged with a crime. So a dorm student couldn't bring a firearm into a dorm. I don't like that becoming law, but its not a bad policy since most dorm students are 17 to 20ish and not even old enough to get a CCW.

If we gained legislative approval to CCW in gun free school zones we would have just that - - legislative approval. A government subdivision (ie: college) could not countermand state law and prohibit it. The whole idea is that not only colleges, but all schools would be FORCED to accept CCW. Now, private colleges could post, but they can do that now. Regardless of whether my view or yours (collective you) is correct, nothing would prevent legal carry in a vehicle.

FWIW, you mention that one sign makes CCW illegal. That is technically not true. There is NO REQUIREMENT for anyone to post a sign at all. According to the STATE POLICE CCW UNIT you are responsible for asking if a business has a policy against CCW in order to be incompliance with the law. Now, I have lots of issues with this and personally feel it is a grey area, but that is the way the law is being interpreted by the state police. I would like to see a change to the Texas 30.06 type sign for a business to legally deny CCW and eliminate current ambiguity.
Old 05-06-2007, 18:52   #12
Nurseman

There is no way any legislation will pass that compel LSU to allow CCW you have a much better chance of defeating the first bill.

Yes , one sign does make CCW illegal - you don't need a sign but it is the most popular way to ban CCW.

The average age of an LSU student is 21 BTW- I am not happy with any legislation that says "hey you studied hard in high school and got into a good school so you are going to have less rights then the guys who messed around and dropped out of High School" I doubt that they would agree with your theory that their second amendment rights are up for negotiation since they are younger than you are.
Sig 226 ST 9mm
Glock 21/26
Springfield XD 45 5"

Last edited by Nurseman; 05-06-2007 at 19:15..
Old 05-06-2007, 21:09   #13
Calhoun123

What is the average age of a dorm resident? That is the key question and I suspect that it is under 21. Regardless of age they are CURRENTLY prohibited from having a firearm in their dorm by university policy. Colleges are currently "gun free zones".

In the end, my goal is to push the ball down the field in favor of expanded CCW, to include carry in current gun free zones. Would you care to tell me how you propose to do this. From where I sit, we have had CCW for over 10 years and have yet to move the ball one inch farther.

I submitted an idea that i felt could jump start things for our side. If you don't like it, tell me what you propose we do - - (realistically) ????
Old 05-06-2007, 21:35   #14
Nurseman

That is easy defeat this bill and all other anti-gun bills. Introduce new legislation to push a CCW. Do not swap other peoples rights for meaningless gains. LA has too strong of a pro NRA legislator to be offering "deals" .

What do I do personally, I write checks and letters lots of them. If all CCW holders in LA wrote and gave $$ also we would not have to worry about these bills.
Sig 226 ST 9mm
Glock 21/26
Springfield XD 45 5"
Old 05-06-2007, 22:50   #15
Nurseman

As you can see from this article REp Gallot is fully intending to prevent firearms in cars via his legislation This man can not be trusted.

http://media.www.lsureveille.com/med...-2891159.shtml

A small group gathered Tuesday afternoon in the Atchafalaya Room in the Union on for a panel on gun control laws organized by Student Government.

The panel was moderated by SG Director of External Affairs Calder Lynch and included LSUPD Chief Ricky Adams and Rep. Rick Gallot, D-Grambling.

Discussion surrounded the new bill Gallot plans to present before the legislative session. The bill would outlaw firearms in residence halls and apartments on college campuses if passed.

Gallot said he originally introduced the bill in 2003 after finding a loophole in the current state law allowing students to have firearms in dorm rooms and vehicles as well as when transporting the firearm between the two places. Gallot said this was contradictory to University policies, which outlawed weapons on campus.

The bill failed, but after the recent tragedy at Virginia Tech, Gallot decided to reintroduce the bill.

"What this bill would do is close that exception," Gallot said.
Sig 226 ST 9mm
Glock 21/26
Springfield XD 45 5"
Old 05-06-2007, 23:11   #16
atimetobuild
Tactibilly

Quote:
FWIW, you mention that one sign makes CCW illegal. That is technically not true. There is NO REQUIREMENT for anyone to post a sign at all. According to the STATE POLICE CCW UNIT you are responsible for asking if a business has a policy against CCW in order to be incompliance with the law. Now, I have lots of issues with this and personally feel it is a grey area, but that is the way the law is being interpreted by the state police. I would like to see a change to the Texas 30.06 type sign for a business to legally deny CCW and eliminate current ambiguity.
First off, just because someone works for the LSP CHP unit does not mean that they have the first idea how to interpret law, nor does it mean that thier opinion matters. There is no way someone is going to get convicted (nor likely even arrested) for being in a business that is not posted (as long as they leave if asked). I called the LSP unit a couple times and got answers that totally contradicted the law. For further reading, I wrote an article that parallels this subject:

Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Revocation- Just Causes

Here is the CHP law (read it for yourself and see if it puts such a requirement on you): RS 40:1379.3 Statewide permits for concealed handguns; application procedures; definitions

1379.3 DOES outline a need to obtain express permission inside private residences. It does NOT outline a need to obtain such permission in a commercial or public area. If the legislature had intended that to be the case, they could easily have said so in the law. The fact that they include that requirement for one and omit it from the other is a rather blatant implication that it is NOT a requirement. As with many LEOs (and I am pro-LEO, don't get me wrong- this is just a fact)- they spend very little time studying the law and mostly propogate the opinions of others around them. Study the law so that you know it for yourself, and then fight for your rights when challenged. You will win one way or another if you perservere- there is always Federal court if they deprive you of your rights.

Point is, don't bother asking LEOs about the law, unless you just want to know what they think for the sake of knowing what they think. Maybe some LEOs sit around reading the law as some of us here do, but that is a boring pasttime for most folks, so don't be suprised to find it extremely uncommon.

Just my $.02

Oh, and I second the "fight every bad bill w/o compromise, introduce good bills and back them" theory, FYI.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:38   #17
Calhoun123

Gallot's bill can't override the state constitution to ban guns in cars. BTW, he has not contacted me again about his legislation. So, I am sure he is uninterested in my suggestions anyway.

I agree about not asking cops to interpret law and instead going straight to the law or an attorney. But, it is darn sure important to know how they do interpret it in order to "pick your battles".

Finally, someone please show me one piece of prop CCW legislation that has made it out of committee in the last 10 years. Show me one that has even been introduced. We may have a legislature that is against new gun laws, but we don't have one willing to even consider rolling back the ones we have.

On a personal note, before ya'll crucify me any more, I felt this was a place we could give a little to gain alot. I can't imagine any other area in which there is room to give anything nor can I imagine anything we could gain that would be greater than what we would have to give up.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:09   #18
atimetobuild
Tactibilly

Calhoun,

I know I probably sounded harsh without meaning to.

I appreciate your trying to jump in there and make a difference. I think Nurseman and I are probably just more "No Compromise with the Enemy!" than most.

I just wanted to tell you I have not been trying to beat you down.

As far as the no new good laws... matter of opinion. We had the Castle Doctrine and the "Emergency powers do not extend to confiscation of firearms" bills pass just last year, for example. I know those are not specifically CCW laws, but they are appreciated, nonetheless. As far as specifically CCW laws go- that is why Louisiana Carry is here. Get laws proposed- then have a network just for LA that gets on the horn saying PASS THIS ONE IF YOU WANT MY VOTE. Email a link to our site to everyone you know.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:29   #19
Nurseman

The Bill is Dead

Link to Advocate

By JORDAN BLUM
Advocate Capitol News Bureau
Published: May 31, 2007 - Page: 5a

An attempt to close a state “loophole” that allows firearms in college dorms was soundly defeated Wednesday in a House committee after several Second Amendment advocates spoke against it.

House Bill 461 by Rep. Rick Gallot, D-Grambling, attempted to include dorms in the firearm-free school zone portion of state law in order to coincide with university policies, which already ban firearms in dorms.

Gallot had introduced a similar bill in 2003 that died in the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee.

HB461 failed again Wednesday in the same committee by an 8-2 vote.

Gallot introduced the bill again in the wake of the murder of 32 Virginia Tech students last month.

Gallot was left frustrated when the debate focused on constitutional gun rights more than on his actual bill.

“We discussed everything but what this law does,” Gallot said in closing, arguing the bill would have only added more enforcement strength to existing college policies.

Maurice Franks, a Southern University law professor, said Gallot’s bill was “feel good legislation” in the aftermath of Virginia Tech that will only make college campuses more inviting targets for criminals.

“All we’re doing is assuring the criminals their victims won’t be armed,” Franks said.

If licensed concealed gun carriers were able to have guns on campus at Virginia Tech, many lives could have been spared, Franks argued.

Franks said university police officers often are “glorified meter maids” rejected by city police departments.

National Rifle Association spokeswoman Tara Mica said her organization would not support the bill as written.

Rep. Warren Triche, D-Thibodaux, cited the bumper sticker, “When guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns.”

Triche also said the state’s firearm-free school zones could be considered unconstitutional.

Gallot attempted to bring the discussion back to point, reiterating the bill only sought to match existing college policies.

State law makes exceptions for licensed weapons in dorms or while going to and from a vehicle and dorm on campus.

For instance, an LSU student with a gun in a dorm room could be expelled under university policy, but not face any legal consequences.

Only Reps. Don Cazayoux, D-New Roads, and Roy Burrell, D-Shreveport, supported Gallot’s bill.
Sig 226 ST 9mm
Glock 21/26
Springfield XD 45 5"