SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-03-2007, 19:20   #1
axel
Nov. 11, 1918

Is this a paradox for IU?

Now, I think we all know that basketball rules the day at IU but from a PR standpoint, could this sticky?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0601/705030524
Hoosiers could lose scholarships if they don't score higher in NCAA's Academic Progress Rate
IU was 277th out of 325 Division I teams in the sport, with a score well below the cut that will make teams subject to scholarship losses next year.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OCAL/705030585
Trustees: Assembly Hall improvements crucial
Trustees won't make a decision for several months, but trustees President Steve Ferguson said after hearing the cost estimates that he has ruled out a renovation. He said he sees only two options: Leave Assembly Hall as it is or build a new basketball venue.

Leaving the building as is, though, would mean ignoring the need for improvements to the building's mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

Trustee Philip N. Eskew Jr. said the decision for him will come down to cost and the ability to finance a new arena without tapping tax dollars or tuition money. His preference, however, would be for a new building.

"I would build a new arena in a heartbeat," he said. "People should look at us on TV and say, 'This is the way it should be.'"
Old 05-03-2007, 21:44   #2
JJMGlockTrumpet

Re: Is this a paradox for IU?

QUOTE]Trustee Philip N. Eskew Jr. said the decision for him will come down to cost and the ability to finance a new arena without tapping tax dollars or tuition money. His preference, however, would be for a new building.[/QUOTE]

I don't trust the administration here. The Jacob's School of Music graduate tuition is going up 24% next year. Yes that is right 24%. It will go up even more becuase, 1 they are going to build a new complex, 2 they want to give all faculty raises which is understandable. I am just glad I get instate tuition and a decent scholarship. They do not always look out for the best interest of the students.
#0619 G1 'Niners

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
JJMGlockTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:07   #3
seamus

My Daughter is a journalism major at IU/B-town and anytime they start talking about renovating anything on campus one can be sure tuition, room & board, parking fees etc will get jacked ever skyward. I was eating lunch in a nice tavern in Nashville, In. watching tv when the story initially started about the athletic facilities. I was sitting at the bar and muttered:"I hope this doesn't affect tuition." when the nice middle-aged couple next to me burst out laughing!? They introduced themselves and said they had graduated their last child out of IU the previous May and felt free for the 1st time in years. My child just finished her sophomore year and is doing an internship out of state so I get no summer break from the spending this year. (an apartment, supplementing her income so she doesn't starve etc) I used to worry about needing to lose weight? No problems now, I can't afford to eat!
Coach Sampson is well known for having a poor graduation rate of his players. This is something he attempted to disguise with clever use of statistics but the facts remain that academics isn't in his area of concern. I remember being in a history class there with Steve Eyl and the first test the prof gave, everyone flunked because the prof was an a-hole like so many are and Eyl was petrified! He didn't say much to me, we were in the same study group, but one could tell that he was concerned and worked really hard to get his grade up. (I assume his motivation was to get a good education in 4 years, but some fear of coach Knight surely came into play also.)

Last edited by seamus; 05-05-2007 at 08:10..
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:24   #4
KSFreeman
Broken Member

Outrageous! Well, this is two letters to the alumni association that I need to write.

To think that when I was there for undergrad that I worked two jobs over summer break to pay for the entire academic year!
Old 05-06-2007, 13:10   #5
RF7126
Mall Ninja

Send a message via AIM to RF7126 Send a message via Yahoo to RF7126

Quote:
Originally posted by KSFreeman
To think that when I was there for undergrad that I worked two jobs over summer break to pay for the entire academic year!
My school is cheaper than IU and even I can't come close to doing that these days!
RF7126 is offline   Reply With Quote