Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2007, 16:08   #1
pat701

Thinking about retiring to Texas

Howdy, i am a Chicago police officer for 30 years, I need out of this city and state we almost have no Second Ammendment rights in Chicago. I have never been to Texas. I have been looking at homes in Texas at realtor.com. In the Paris/Reno area do to the fact that is a northern area and hopfully a cooler area in the summer then the south of Texas. I need to be in a "low crime area" after fighting with the gang bangers all my life. Please give me some locations to look at in Texas, i would like to see trees and lakes if that is possable. With hunting and fishing an hour or two away. That you. I will be blowing the job on 15July07. I can't wait need peace and quite. 30 years was a life time on the job.
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 16:36   #2
SeriousStudent

First of all, thank you for your service!

I live in a northern suburb of Dallas. Real estate prices here are pretty stable. Honestly, all of Texas is pretty hot in the summer. There is only a few degrees difference between Dallas and Houston. There is a large difference in humidity, however.

Are you looking to buy a house in the burbs? Or maybe a couple of acres in the countryside? Are you selling a home in Chicago and investing the money here?

They are developing a lot of land outside Dallas and Fort Worth with the scenario you have in mind. They do have trees, and they are bulding lakes on the land and stocking them. So you typically have a couple of private lakes, one for fishing, the other for waterskiing.

Let us know how we can help. It seems like we get a fair number of retired LEO's moving here, and you are definitely welcome. Our winters are definitely much kinder than what you are used to!

<insert long list of firearms here>
SeriousStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 20:49   #3
Guod

You may want to look at the areas to the south of sherman, and to the west of it. I have only been in Texas for about a year, so I haven't seen a whole lot of it. But when I went up to lake Texoma, it seems that those areas had a lot of lakes for fishing and such, were quite green, even in the middle of the summer, and I imagine the land and housing prices are quite cheap. Plus you are still within a short drive to "big city" things if need be.
Guod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:48   #4
nuparadigm

Pat701,
Howdy and welcome to relative freedom. You're correct about places such as Paris being somewhat cooler than other parts. Where I live on the Gulf Coast is muggy and hot. However ... don't overlook far West Texas. It really is a dry heat and low humidity. I lived there for a time and loved it. Many counties in that area have more cattle and sheep than people. Check out towns such as Marfa, Van Horn, Ft. Stockton, Sheffield, Alipne. Counties such as Hudspeth, Jeff Davis, Brewster. Hope you find a good fit somewhere in Texas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The last train out of any station won't be filled with nice people.

Last edited by nuparadigm; 05-07-2007 at 06:04..
nuparadigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 15:54   #5
kafromet
KA from ET

What kind of location are you looking for?

Do you want to be way back away from it all?

Would you rather be in a small town close to a bigger city?

(what's a bigger city to you? heck, what's "close to" to you? )

Do you have a ballpark on how much you want to spend on a home and property? (if you're comfortable sharing).

Do you have any relatives or friends in the state? If so where are they?

Oh and it's pretty much hot everywhere here in the Summer. :P

If nothing else just come visit(I'd recommend Austin), you'll love it here!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:12   #6
pat701

I would love 40 acres+ so i could shot and hunt my own land. But i must be realistic. I can't afford more then say $175.000 for what ever i buy. I know that Texas has no state income tax, but man your property tax's are almost as much is in the city of Chicago. A town of 25,000 would be fine with me. I just want to live out my life having fun doing what i like and not bothering anyone. 110 degress is hot even if it is dry heat. But i guess you just don't go out too mush in the summer between 11:00 am & 4:00pm.
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 14:27   #7
TattooedGlock
NRA LIFE MEMBER

San Antonio is military retiree town USA. Cost of living is awesome and there's tons to do and people are great. San Angelo, is also a great military town, just smaller. I mention the military because the attitude towards LE is great around here and this is a free state. I'm from Chicago and my late father was retired Chicago PD. I ended up in Texas due to my wife being in the Air Force. She retires soon and we love it here. Cost example: my mom lives on the north side of Chicago and she could sell her house today for 400,000 A house of greater size in a better area here would cost 130,000!!! Lots of places to shoot, lots of freedom and lots of good beer! Hope to see ya in Tejas one day!

GSSF Life Member
1911 Club and Big Dawg Member
TattooedGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 14:47   #8
KosherNRA
DJ Jazzy Jew

Quote:
Originally posted by Guod
You may want to look at the areas to the south of sherman, and to the west of it. I have only been in Texas for about a year, so I haven't seen a whole lot of it. But when I went up to lake Texoma, it seems that those areas had a lot of lakes for fishing and such, were quite green, even in the middle of the summer, and I imagine the land and housing prices are quite cheap. Plus you are still within a short drive to "big city" things if need be.
+1 ON THAT

plus Denton County. i live in lewisville and LOVE it..right by lake lewisville and other bodies of water, and close enough to 635/190/35 to get anywhere you need

i would say rockwall but taxes and values will eat you up, but the BEST scenery is over that way. stay out of dallas for living. other places in texas are too busy for my tastes, and the rural areas, are, well, really friggin rural..

...and learn spanish

Glocker #007
KosherNRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 21:26   #9
aguyindallas
Glock Rocker

I live in a town called Little Elm, which is in eastern Denton County. Great county and a small, but growing town. I am currently building (should close end of June) 3000 sqft house ON Lake Lewisville in Little Elm. I am young by most accounts (be 30 next Sunday) but plan this to be the house I retire in. Its far enough out of Dallas to be quiet, yet not too far to get into town and do whatever you want. I suggest taking a close look.
Lone Star Glocker #549
aguyindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:14   #10
dglockster

My home town is Paris, Texas, although I don't live there anymore. If I had my choice of retirement communities, I would choose Kerrville, Texas.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&n...errville+texas

Lone Star Glockers #3236, Top Guns 357Sig Club #3226, Niner #2632, .40 S&W Club #2332, Kalashnikov Klub 11147, Wheelhouse #2357
dglockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:59   #11
Sgt. Rambo

Looking to go too

I'm SERIOUSLY looking to leave NJ in the next 24 months and am looking at the Hill County area. Any info on that. I've got friends in Josephine and looked around there but may have job hook in Hill County...thanks for the info. (PS...Hint for my Chicago friend...if you're moving to Texas....Oklahoma SUCKS!!!! One of the first lessons I learned about Texas...lol)
Old 05-14-2007, 14:59   #12
dglockster

If you want to be in the Hill Country around the Austin area, just stay out of Travis County. That way you get the benefits of the area without the very high Travis County taxes.

The counties you may want to consider are Blanco, Hays, Caldwell Bastrop, Lee, Burnet (pronounced "burn it"), and Williamson.

This is a good site dedicated to the Hill Country:
http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Te...ntry_towns.htm

Lone Star Glockers #3236, Top Guns 357Sig Club #3226, Niner #2632, .40 S&W Club #2332, Kalashnikov Klub 11147, Wheelhouse #2357
dglockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 18:00   #13
SeriousStudent

The Texas Hill Country is very pretty. And the folks are real nice. Life is a little slower there.

If I ever win the Lotto (fat chance, since I don't play) I would move down there in a heartbeat.

I agree about the Travis county taxes.

<insert long list of firearms here>
SeriousStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:35   #14
Sgt. Rambo

Many thanks

Appreciate the input, the webpage had some good info too. Thanks again.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:51   #15
alfair

Yes, taxes are horrible here. We live in Cedar Park North of Austin, it's in Williamson Co, but the taxes are about as bad as Travis.
I strongly suggest you go to the county website and do a search of the tax role, here is Williamson http://www.wcad.org/ and Travis http://www.traviscad.org/

My parents, who are retired, had to sell there home just because they couldn't afford the taxes anymore.

Texas is great, but I often wonder how I'm going to afford to live here when I retire. My taxes are about $6600 / year.

I thought about Ruidoso NM, taxes are really low, and when retirement comes around we won't have a lot of income...

For the Hill County realtors Google this: "hill country real estate" Texas
alfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:34   #16
aguyindallas
Glock Rocker

FYI, the taxes in my area (Denton County) are 2.44%...not too bad compared to many folks.
Lone Star Glocker #549
aguyindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:50   #17
Sgt. Rambo

Whoa!!

Quote:
Originally posted by alfair
Yes, taxes are horrible here. We live in Cedar Park North of Austin, it's in Williamson Co, but the taxes are about as bad as Travis.
I strongly suggest you go to the county website and do a search of the tax role, here is Williamson http://www.wcad.org/ and Travis http://www.traviscad.org/

My parents, who are retired, had to sell there home just because they couldn't afford the taxes anymore.

Texas is great, but I often wonder how I'm going to afford to live here when I retire. My taxes are about $6600 / year.

I thought about Ruidoso NM, taxes are really low, and when retirement comes around we won't have a lot of income...

For the Hill County realtors Google this: "hill country real estate" Texas
WOW..$6600 a year??? I hope you own a ton of land and a big house...lol I have 6 acres and a small rancher in Southern NJ and am only at $5200..That is suprising
Old 05-19-2007, 13:25   #18
Bitstream

I only have 1/3 of an acre, 3165 sq. ft. house on it and my property taxes are ~$5700...but keep in mind there is no state income tax here so they gotta get the money some way...at least I can deduct the ~$5700 from my federal taxes...

County = ~900
Lateral Road = ~150
City = ~1200
School = ~3500

-- Woody

Last edited by Bitstream; 05-19-2007 at 13:47..
Bitstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 13:34   #19
PawDog
NRA Member

...If you enjoy fishing and inexpensive real estate prices, check out SE TX....I'm in Orange county, and have 3.12 acres, waterfront, with only a 2000 sf home, but the property taxes for 2007 are at $1,950.00......no city taxes when you purchase in the county, only county, school and port taxes.
PawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 13:47   #20
Delta-x
Silver Membership
NRA Member

How is your Spanish?
Big Dawgs #1945 /1911 Club #5491/Sig Sauer #1945
Lone Star Glockers #1945 /Black Rifle Club #1945

"The sword of justice has no scabbard"-Rival
Delta-x is offline   Reply With Quote