SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-09-2007, 17:22   #1
bassman-dan
NRA Lifer

memorization techniques?

As a new E.A., but not a very young one, I have been struggling to memorize my work.
I repeat my lessons over and over, scores of times, but it can be discouraging.
Do any of you have any particular techniques that you use to help you learn your work and retain it longer?
bassman-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:03   #2
jrr6602

EA

Dan, I sent you a PM about my experience. I hope it helps. Do not get discouraged. It will get easier. JR in Texas
Old 05-13-2007, 13:57   #3
bassman-dan
NRA Lifer

I believe you're right, JR, it does get easier.
I also found this web site that that pretty much backs you up. I am using their #6.

http://www.web-us.com/memory/mnemonic_techniques.htm
bassman-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 15:16   #4
ArodJohns

I just finished my ritual study for the day, read this and then thought "You know, this may work.....until you try to learn several at the same time."

Can someone throw me a life preserver? I think I'm drowning over here.

Every day is exactly the same
ArodJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 23:56   #5
mmsig229

What works for me is to learn a sentence, then a paragraph, then a page. Each time I learn a new sentence, I'll go back to the begininng and go over the entire thing again. Repetition is the key. And whatever you do, don't learn it wrong from the start. Get the words right from the get go. Sit down with a PM or good ritualist. Don't get overwhelmed. Don't think about learning a 12 page lecture. Think about learning a page at a time.
mmsig229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:45   #6
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

The most difficult part for me is that I'm very visual, and all of our catechism work is by "word of mouth", nothing written.

If I could read it, I'd have it down very quickly. But doing this by ear - it's a bear. I wish I could write it just for the purposes of visualizing it in my brain, and then discard the notes right then and there. But alas, not an option. At least as far as I'm told.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 19:53   #7
ArodJohns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
The most difficult part for me is that I'm very visual, and all of our catechism work is by "word of mouth", nothing written.

If I could read it, I'd have it down very quickly. But doing this by ear - it's a bear. I wish I could write it just for the purposes of visualizing it in my brain, and then discard the notes right then and there. But alas, not an option. At least as far as I'm told.
You did take the obligation not to write them. We've all been in your spot brother, just take your time and like MMsig stated, learn it right the first time. It's a lot easier to start out with the right way then to have to relearn the right way.

Old 12-10-2007, 13:42   #8
"Traveling man"

I found whe doing my ritual work if there was a word that I would get stuck on, I would write that 1 word down and when I would forget it, then I would know where I left off.

Remember as long and one else can figue out the secrests of freemasonry, then you can do it.

Like if I would get stuck on the word, "whereby" and I wrote it down

No one, even a mason would understand what it meant.

I think the idea of not writinganything down is so you don't write the whole thing out and someone gets hold of it.

If you're stuck on "whereby" and write it down, I don't see a problem with it.

I might get flammed by some ol' timers but it is not revealing the secrets of freemasonry in my opinion.

I am being installed as Senior Warden in 2weeks and I need to get my Junior Warden's obligation memorized and quick so that I can install him.

Good luck
25074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 15:54   #9
ArodJohns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25074 View Post
I found whe doing my ritual work if there was a word that I would get stuck on, I would write that 1 word down and when I would forget it, then I would know where I left off.

Remember as long and one else can figue out the secrests of freemasonry, then you can do it.

Like if I would get stuck on the word, "whereby" and I wrote it down

No one, even a mason would understand what it meant.

I think the idea of not writing anything down is so you don't write the whole thing out and someone gets hold of it.

If you're stuck on "whereby" and write it down, I don't see a problem with it.

I might get flammed by some ol' timers but it is not revealing the secrets of freemasonry in my opinion.

I am being installed as Senior Warden in 2weeks and I need to get my Junior Warden's obligation memorized and quick so that I can install him.

Good luck
With all respect brother, I have to disagree.

If you remember correctly, there's a whole section about doing that sort of thing. It's in the EA lecture.

While you're correct that a person won't recognize one word written down, but that's part of the honor system brother. If we ourselves are not adhering to our obligations, how can we expect the incoming men to adhere to it?

I hope your installation goes well.

Old 12-10-2007, 17:19   #10
"Traveling man"

I think there is a fine line between writing it all down and writing a word to jog your memory.

In the EA it says that you can't write it down so that the secrets of freemasonry will not be revealed.

I understand your point but a single word will not give away the secrets.

I understand what you mean with the honor system and doing the right thing. But again, I think there is a differance.

Thanks

My installation should go well. I can't remember how it went last year. I guess I was too nervous to watch what every one did forthe installation.
25074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 23:02   #11
WV45fan

It helped me to say it in my head, then say it out loud.

Go see someone get their 1st degree, and that will help too.
WV45fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 14:28   #12
ArodJohns

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV45fan View Post

+1

When I was working on my lecture, that's what I did. I drove around to all of the inspections in that degree and sat there with my little pocket flash light and my ritual (of course after explaining what I was doing to the inspecting deputy).

Old 01-11-2008, 10:08   #13
MarcoPolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV45fan View Post

BIG +1. I was fortunate to be the first of 6 (yes, 6) EA's initiated in our lodge. I sat through the others and got to hear the degree multiple times *in context*.

I also recited (and continue to recite) memory work while driving. If my steering wheel could talk, it could have an "A" certificate by now.

It may also help to go over the "big" picture first. Remember what physically happened, and what it meant.. this will help you keep the order of everything
straight. I've seen too many candidates that get so caught up in memorizing the wording, that they forget what actually happened during the degree.

A good instructor can walk you back through what happened and WHY. This may help you memorize the wording in context.

Help a Shriner Help a Child

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MarcoPolo; 01-11-2008 at 10:11..
MarcoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote