rkba_net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:41   #2
skydelta34

We have a great governor.
skydelta34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:15   #3
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

I'm not thrilled with some wording of the statute.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/.../HE1739.1.html

(e) If it appears to the superintendent that the applicant:
(1) has a proper reason for carrying a handgun;
(2) is of good character and reputation;
(3) is a proper person to be licensed; and
(4) is:
(A) a citizen of the United States; or
(B) not a citizen of the United States but is allowed to carry a firearm in the United States under federal law;

proper reason? 2A gives us all the reasons we need.

I know that was not addressed in this revision, but in reading it seems odd to me.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:38   #4
rkba_net

Quote:
Originally posted by FThorn
I'm not thrilled with some wording of the statute.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/.../HE1739.1.html

(e) If it appears to the superintendent that the applicant:
(1) has a proper reason for carrying a handgun;
(2) is of good character and reputation;
(3) is a proper person to be licensed; and
(4) is:
(A) a citizen of the United States; or
(B) not a citizen of the United States but is allowed to carry a firearm in the United States under federal law;

proper reason? 2A gives us all the reasons we need.

I know that was not addressed in this revision, but in reading it seems odd to me.

This language was always part of the law... here is the definition of "proper reason"...

IC 35-47-1-8
"Proper reason"
35-47-1-8 Sec. 8. "Proper reason" means for the defense of oneself or the state of Indiana.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.
rkba_net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:59   #5
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

thanks for clarifying.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:53   #6
KSFreeman
Broken Member

FThorn, you worry too much . . . . no wonder I like you.
Old 05-09-2007, 16:05   #7
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

As much as people like to whine about Mitch, he has done more for this state than the last 20 or so years of do-nothings as governor.

I still don't get it. He ran on the fact that he wanted to make big changes. He gets voted in and makes big changes, then people complain that he is making big changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 17:22   #8
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
He's done some good stuff for us, but he's also doing bad stuff.

He and his Dept. of Adminstration have hosed us all big time with respect to the gov't center campus, including the statehouse. When the metal detectors go in (probably next year), only cops, judges, and elected officials will be allowed to enter while carrying.

That means there will be plenty of unsecured weapons in the buildings, but none in OUR possession.

That's wrong, and it's serious.
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 17:26   #9
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by rhino465
He's done some good stuff for us, but he's also doing bad stuff.

He and his Dept. of Adminstration have hosed us all big time with respect to the gov't center campus, including the statehouse. When the metal detectors go in (probably next year), only cops, judges, and elected officials will be allowed to enter while carrying.

That means there will be plenty of unsecured weapons in the buildings, but none in OUR possession.

That's wrong, and it's serious.
I was talking in a more general sense, not just on gun issues. But yeah, I agree that sucks. But, seeing as how I buy guns WAY more often than I go to the statehouse, I am all for this bill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:01   #10
BackDraft
Kahr Club 69

Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
As much as people like to whine about Mitch, he has done more for this state than the last 20 or so years of do-nothings as governor.

I still don't get it. He ran on the fact that he wanted to make big changes. He gets voted in and makes big changes, then people complain that he is making big changes.
As far as ProGun he is good but as far as for business he has cost me a lot with his grand idea for the Kangaroo TurnPike(Toll Road).It caused my company to move to Micigan and now instead of a 7 mile comute I have a 67 mile comute(1 way miles). We now can't drive the Toll Road because the company won't remburse the tolls and with having to run know toll roads in Indiana we now get home every other weekend instead of daily. Its great for a home life Thanks to Mitch! And I voted for him. I am thinking really hard about moving out of this state if his current attitude of don't listen to the voters I know what is best. He is honest because he was the only politician to admit that in a public speech. Sorry for being so long winded and disgusted and for getting off the posts topic.

I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

John Bernard Books...Carson City, Nevada, 1901
BackDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:11   #11
KSFreeman
Broken Member

Mitch is not only been active is supporting our RKBA, but he is making people pay their own way and that's why some people are so mad at him. I say, everyone out of the wagon and help me pull it!

We are getting what we want--support for RKBA, increased revenue from the toll road deal, and daylight savings time to boot. Way to go, Mitch.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:21   #12
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

I think his biggest success is the incremental nature with which he chips away at the ANTI statutes. Step by step we're inching back to 'freedom' and RIGHTS.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:58   #13
KSFreeman
Broken Member

We lost our freedom a slice at a time, we will regain it a slice at a time (unless Parker really is the tidal wave I hope it is).
Old 05-10-2007, 09:27   #14
Snowman92D

Is there any hope of getting the law changed so that state-licensed CCW folks can carry on school grounds, beyond the current limitation that they do so only while picking up or dropping off someone? I understand that the South Carolina state legislature is reportedly changing their statutes to permit lawful CCW on school grounds. Seems as though Mitch would sign it if such a law got to his desk, since he signed a law last week allowing local Indiana school boards to appoint their own campus police officers as Indiana colleges and universities have done for years.

I'm sure that everyone's aware of the cops in New Jersey arresting half-a-dozen jihadis who were trying to buy RPG's and select-fire weapons to attack a U.S. military installation here in CONUS. They were "officially" held to be a "splinter" group and not directly connected to Al Qaeda...but that's like saying that Colts fans who permanently tattoo Colts logo's on their bodies don't have a direct connection to the Colts team. Splinter terrorist groups carry out murderous attacks to gain favor with major terror groups in the hopes of gaining (a) operating money and (b) more recruits...so anyone who thinks that Abdul and Rashid aren't bringing their travelling terror show to our neighborhoods is a fool.

The jihadis will start out with "gun-and-grenade" attacks where they'll show up suddenly, fire some RPG's or toss hand-thrown grenades, spray everyone with automatic weapons fire, then flee the area. They repeatedly did that in Israel until the Israelis stopped it by promoting almost universal concealed carry. After that, the jihadis switched to "suicide" style attacks where the gun-and-grenade attackers opened fire, then stayed put until responding forces killed them in place. When that failed to net enough dead women and children for them, they switched to lone suicide bombers wearing explosive belts or driving explosive-laden vehicles.

A vigilant, continuously-armed citizenry is the only answer until such time that we, as a nation, do something conclusive about radical Islam.

There is a strong radical Islam presence here emanating from the Plainfield mosque, just west of the Int'l Airport. They have a printing operation there that publishes an anti-American extremist newspaper that targets Muslim males in the 18-to-30 years age group as its readership. The paper is shipped all over the U.S.

We've got to increase the presence of our armed citizenry. There can't be any realistic confusion about our need to defend ourselves from enemies foreign and domestic, which fostered the original framing of the 2nd Amendment. I'm glad the governor isn't holding up our progress in this effort...even if it's just in increments.
Snowman92D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:45   #15
KSFreeman
Broken Member

Snow, I think that there is hope in getting this changed. All we need is to include one sentence in the exemptions section (think I've posted a proposed modification before that was 12 words).

What we need is a sponsor and then start beating the drum.

Yes, the terrorists do seem to be following Tom Clancy novels (9/11 to the coming mall and school attacks). It is a sad day in America when a United States Army base is considered a soft target.

I'm all for using the threat of terrorism as a motive for restoring our rights. As to the Israeli matter, Ma'alot incident is the watershed that overruled the gun control policies of Israel's police chiefs, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma'alot-massacre
Old 05-11-2007, 00:04   #16
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
I'm not giving up on the school thing even though 10:1 (wilda** estimate on my part) people have said to me there is no chance it will happen, so they're not willing to do anything to help. Our little group will keep trying and I hope others will too.

The more states that do it, the easier it will be for us to reclaim the way things were before 1994.
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:10   #17
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Snow, I think that there is hope in getting this changed. All we need is to include one sentence in the exemptions section (think I've posted a proposed modification before that was 12 words).
Better change the part about cities having the right to restrict on their property also. We can change the exemption and then the local city just say "no".
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote