Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:17   #1
Getwild2
Mac Aficionado

How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

I have a G19 that my wife and I bought that we decided was not a wise purchase at the time. We are selling this gun, possibly to someone locally and wanted to know what all we needed to do this. We did not proceed with registering the firearm because of the intent to sell and I bought it with my MI CPL so there is no "green card".

What do you recommend? Should the other person have a purchasers permit, should we do it at a police station, etc??

Thanks for your help!!
S&W M&P 9c, 40c
Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III
Getwild2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:01   #2
Tallbear

Send a message via AIM to Tallbear Send a message via Yahoo to Tallbear
Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
Originally posted by Getwild2
I have a G19 that my wife and I bought that we decided was not a wise purchase at the time. We are selling this gun, possibly to someone locally and wanted to know what all we needed to do this. We did not proceed with registering the firearm because of the intent to sell and I bought it with my MI CPL so there is no "green card".

What do you recommend? Should the other person have a purchasers permit, should we do it at a police station, etc??

Thanks for your help!!
Was the portion of the RI-60 sent into the State police when you bought it?

1. You need to take the gun in and get your "green card".

2. buyer "MUST" have a purchase permit or RI-60

3. Make out a bill of sale with firearm serial number and buyers info.
Tallbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 13:05   #3
Getwild2
Mac Aficionado

Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tallbear
Was the portion of the RI-60 sent into the State police when you bought it?

1. You need to take the gun in and get your "green card".

2. buyer "MUST" have a purchase permit or RI-60

3. Make out a bill of sale with firearm serial number and buyers info.
Yes, the RI-60 was sent in to the State Police. I talked to the buyer and he mentioned I would need to go register it (get the green card). He went and got his green card already too. Looks like I'm good to go after registering it, thanks so much!!!

P.S. What are my penalties for not registering it in 10 days? More like 30??
S&W M&P 9c, 40c
Old 05-10-2007, 13:44   #4
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

Re: Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
Originally posted by Getwild2
P.S. What are my penalties for not registering it in 10 days? More like 30??
The only time requirement is for those using a purchase permit. Yours was bought using the pistol sales record/CCW, so there is no time frame. However, keeping it reasonable would be a good idea.

Visit to help!!--> http://gunownershipisnotacrime.org/
10 Ring Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 19:06   #5
alwayshear

Re: Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

P.S. What are my penalties for not registering it in 10 days? More like 30?? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think you mean "safety inspection" , but I have waited a month before without a problem. The local "safety inspection" hours are not very accommodating. Three hours, two days a week! Then they wonder why there are so many people there at one time!
alwayshear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:18   #6
PDogSniper

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
Originally posted by alwayshear
The local "safety inspection" hours are not very accommodating. Three hours, two days a week! Then they wonder why there are so many people there at one time!
Do a search in this forum. The police dept now has to do inspections and issue your green card during all regular business hours...

Member NRA
Member GOA
PDogSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 22:10   #7
Getwild2
Mac Aficionado

My precinct is 24 hrs and issues permits and inspects at all hours.
S&W M&P 9c, 40c
Old 05-12-2007, 01:21   #8
alwayshear

Thanks for the info! I will look into it.
alwayshear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 21:48   #9
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
The only time requirement is for those using a purchase permit. Yours was bought using the pistol sales record/CCW, so there is no time frame.
Wrong. No matter how you buy it (Purchase Permit or CPL) you still have 10 days to have it "Safety Inspected" and get your green card.

That is, unless it's changed in just the last couple months.
Doug - The necessary consequence of man’s right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative. | Ayn Rand - “The Nature of Government,” The Virtue of Selfishness, 108

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."
douglasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 22:29   #10
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
Originally posted by douglasd
No matter how you buy it (Purchase Permit or CPL) you still have 10 days to have it "Safety Inspected" and get your green card.

That is, unless it's changed in just the last couple months.
Wrong, right back at 'ya.

Quote:
Q: I recently purchased a handgun with my CCW permit. My question is how many days do I have to bring my new handgun to the proper authorities for a safety inspection from the purchase date?

A: There is no time period specified in the statute. The “safety inspection” statute was seen as complementary to the “license to purchase” statute and that statute requires a person to return the completed license to the issuing agency within 10 days of the purchase. I think that the legislature envisioned the safety inspection being done at that time. Since you are exempt from the license to purchase requirements, there is no specified time for the safety inspection. The law would presume that you must do it within a “reasonable time”—whatever that is. I would suggest that you do it within ten days, but that is advice and not “law”. !
http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_ccwfaq2.asp

Hence the caveat, "However, keeping it reasonable would be a good idea." in my original comment.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:51   #11
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
Wrong, right back at 'ya.
http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_ccwfaq2.asp
I stand corrected. You are right.

I guess the reason I assumed it still had to be done in 10 days is that I thought it said so on the pistol sales record, which I get a white copy of. Also, I think the folks at the gun store said so.

I went back and looked at my sales record form, however, and it says no such thing. It says only that the SELLER has to send his copy to the State Police within 10 days, and that the pistol has to be presented for a safety inspection...but gives no time limit for the safety inspection part.

Thanks for the correction.
Doug - The necessary consequence of man’s right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative. | Ayn Rand - “The Nature of Government,” The Virtue of Selfishness, 108

Old 06-02-2007, 09:58   #12
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PDogSniper
Do a search in this forum. The police dept now has to do inspections and issue your green card during all regular business hours...
Correct. The AG's opinion from last year says exactly that.

Here's a link to the Attorney General's Opinion, which carries the weight of law until such time as the Legislature passes a law saying otherwise.

AG's OPINION:

http://www.firearmsalliance.org/AGLetter7-17-06.pdf

It also states that they may NOT charge any fee for the Permit to Purchase of the Safety Inspection, except for Notary service, IF you choose to use THEIR Notary, which you don't have to do. Before I got my CPL, I took mine to my bank and had it notarized for free.

There are some other interesting things in the Opinion, also.

Old 06-12-2007, 19:25   #13
Criphunter44
ALPHA BEAR

Quote:
Originally posted by PDogSniper
There is a Police station on the eastside that will only do a safety inspection on Tuesday's and Thursday's for 3 hours each of the days.
I was 5 minutes early once and they made me wait the 5 minutes before they would give my forms to fill out. They also wait until 4 or 5 people are there before they will even look at a weapon.

Last edited by Criphunter44; 06-12-2007 at 19:31..
Criphunter44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 21:53   #14
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Criphunter44
There is a Police station on the eastside that will only do a safety inspection on Tuesday's and Thursday's for 3 hours each of the days.
I was 5 minutes early once and they made me wait the 5 minutes before they would give my forms to fill out. They also wait until 4 or 5 people are there before they will even look at a weapon.
That's not legal anymore. I would sue...you will win for sure, and they will pay your court costs. Seriously. The AG's opinion holds the weight of law until such time as the legislature makes the law more clear.

Show them the AG's opinion.

Old 06-12-2007, 23:06   #15
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

Quote:
Send a message to user 'gsbell', he works with SAFR (www.firearmsalliance.org) and has been working long and hard to whip delinquent cop shops into line as far as days/hours they will do purchase permits and registration.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:38   #16
PDogSniper

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
Send a message to user 'gsbell', he works with SAFR (www.firearmsalliance.org) and has been working long and hard to whip delinquent cop shops into line as far as days/hours they will do purchase permits and registration.
+100... Gregg is a great guy and worthy of a battle... I've shot and trained with him so no one on the other side should cut him short... He know's the laws...

Member NRA
Member GOA
Old 06-14-2007, 04:47   #17
Criphunter44
ALPHA BEAR

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
I went to the SAFR website: www.firearmsalliance.org , went to the contacts and did not find 'gsbell' in the contact list. Also went to different links and each time I was routed to " page cannot be found". Is there any other contact?

Thanks..
Old 06-14-2007, 04:55   #18
Criphunter44
ALPHA BEAR

Quote:
Originally posted by douglasd
That's not legal anymore. I would sue...you will win for sure, and they will pay your court costs. Seriously. The AG's opinion holds the weight of law until such time as the legislature makes the law more clear.

Show them the AG's opinion.

So according to the AG's opinion, the police station cannot charge a fee for the inspections, (which by the way the do)is that what I am interrupting?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:50   #19
PDogSniper

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
I went to the SAFR website: www.firearmsalliance.org , went to the contacts and did not find 'gsbell' in the contact list. Also went to different links and each time I was routed to " page cannot be found". Is there any other contact?

Thanks..
Do a searce here. Although I haven't seen him post for a while he use to frequent this site often...

Member NRA
Member GOA
Old 06-14-2007, 11:56   #20
10 Ring Tao
Red White Blue

Quote:
Send a message to user 'gsbell'
I was implying that he was a user of this site. Do a search for his name here in the MI section.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:59   #21
gsbell
Consumed

Criphunter44,
What PD are you having trouble with?
Old 06-14-2007, 17:59   #22
douglasd
CLM Number 164
Charter Lifetime Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
So according to the AG's opinion, the police station cannot charge a fee for the inspections, (which by the way the do)is that what I am interrupting?
They absolutely CANNOT charge a fee, except for notary service, which only applies IF you use their notary, which you don't have to do.

The AG's letter is clear on that point.

The only time you need it notarized is if you get a purchase permit...if you have a CPL and only have to go for the registration...I'm sorry, "safety inspection", then nothing has to be notarized anyway. Show them the letter...if they don't obey, tell them you'll start proceedings against the department.

It's sad how many PD's don't know the laws, or even attempt to keep up with them.

Again, here's the letter from the AG:

Old 06-14-2007, 20:01   #23
Criphunter44
ALPHA BEAR

Quote:
Originally posted by gsbell
Criphunter44,
What PD are you having trouble with?
Clinton Township, they will issue/inspect on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1pm to 3pm.
Old 06-14-2007, 20:06   #24
Criphunter44
ALPHA BEAR

Quote:
I was implying that he was a user of this site. Do a search for his name here in the MI section.
Sorry, I misunderstood
Old 06-14-2007, 21:48   #25
PDogSniper

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to sell face to face in Mich, what is necessary?

Quote:
Sorry, I misunderstood
Me too...

Member NRA
Member GOA