Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2007, 21:35   #1
Tim-G19

Bill about guns in cars at work? Bill #?? cant find it

There was a link about a bill that would not allow work places to ban you from having a weapon in your vehicle, On company parking.

Anyone have news on that?

I wrote it down and now cant find it anywhere.

thanks all.
Tim-G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 13:50   #2
minuteman32
NRA & GOA Life

I remember that bill. It was effectively killed in commitee by Garton, who is now no longer @ the statehouse. This is the bill that eventually was mutated into the castle law. Don't get me wrong, castle laws are good, but it would be nice to not get fired for having a gun in your car (not much of an issue for me as I work in a state mandated "victim disarmament zone"). I think there was another bill in the statehouse this last session covering this, but it died a quiet death, as well.

Maybe another approach would be to get your automobile legally protected as an extention of your home? It would make sense that your employer can't search your house, so they shouldn't be able to search your vehicle if it's an extention of that. But, alas, I am not a lawyer.
minuteman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 14:14   #3
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

But, alas, I am not a lawyer either. I really don't think that putting your vehicle off limits for search stands a chance. Most employers want to be able to search vehicles for stolen property. Also since Indiana is a employment at will state you can be terminated (or not hired) for no reason at all. No, the best legislation would specifically give you the (2A) right to have a weapon locked inside your car. Either way this is going to be a tough sell.
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 18:24   #4
HoosierShooter
Copper Member

It would be nice to have that bill around as I carry at least one gun in the truck and sometimes more and I am not supposed to have any on the property. I work close to downtown near were some serious shootings have happened and I'm not taking the chance of not having at least one in the truck. The last one I know of was a woman gunned down with an AK-47 at our back alley.
Old 05-17-2007, 20:04   #5
Masque
Re Member

2007 Indiana House Bill 1397.

http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/b...ill&docno=1397
Masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:51   #6
sonny27

It almost passed last year but that *****hole garton wouldn't let it come out of committee until they took that language out. It passed the House 82-18. Sen. Nugent told me that it would of passed but garton wouldn't let it out of committee.

This year Rep. Koch tried twice to get a vote but another *****hole named bauer wouldn't even let it out of committee.

Rep. Koch deserves alot of credit and thanks for trying to make this law for the last three years. I strongly suggest you Email him and thank him for the effort.

as you can see this is a very sore subject with me.
sonny27 is offline   Reply With Quote