SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-18-2007, 19:37   #1
MakeMineaP99
Got SIG?

Open carried on Wednesday

I finally got the opportunity to open carry. Carried my 2nd Gen G17 in a Little Feather IWB, shirt tucked, while buying gas north of South Bend.

The most painful part was paying for the fuel at $3.29/gallon. I didn't even see anyone give me a look. I was kind of surprised as I was in soccer mom territory.

Guess I'll be sending KSFreeman a case of ammo. What one of Kirk's laws of the internet was that?

Carry on!
MakeMineaP99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 20:29   #2
Harlequin
I need a weapon

I've opened carried all over. The only comment I've ever gotten was in a Golden Corral from a little black boy who asked why I was carrying a gun. I told him to protect the good guys from the bad guys. His family, who seemed like nice people, called him away. Nothing more was said. I've never been confronted otherwise even by LEOs.

I find that I'm more comfortable with open carry in Indianapolis than I am in this little hick town I live in. Because of my job I know people all over and I don't know who would be uncomfortable seeing me carrying and then working in their house. Some people are like that.
Big Dawg #1254: G21 and G30
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." The Dalai Lama, (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times) speaking in Portland, Oregon, when asked by a girl how to react when a shooter takes aim at a classmate
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 20:58   #3
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
Good going! (both of you!)
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 00:22   #4
Prometheus77
GOA - RWVA

Way to go!

My wife open carried two additional times this week around town. Including the Meijer again tonight. I covered before I got out of the car to go in and she didn't She's kidna decided it's open carry from here on out for her, lol.

So far only one question from a lady in the checkout line with her the other day "My thats a big gun, are you a cop?" "Nope, just keeping away the rapists" she told me she said with a wink... that was the end of the conversation I guess that service bitone XD looks big on her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Prometheus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:40   #5
fire1035

Is this a big deal to some of you guys? I open carry all the time, but I have never felt the need to come on here and tell you all about it.
fire1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:45   #6
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

Quote:
Originally posted by fire1035
Is this a big deal to some of you guys? I open carry all the time, but I have never felt the need to come on here and tell you all about it.
Well, you should.
Old 05-19-2007, 14:55   #7
axel
Nov. 11, 1918

Quote:
I've never open carried, except around the house. Tactical surprise could mean the difference between life and death in a VA Tech or similar situation. Why in the world would you want to possibly compromise your safety? Just my thoughts.
Old 05-19-2007, 15:51   #8
KSFreeman
Broken Member

Which one of the immutable Kirk's Laws of the Internet are you citing???

A case of .45acp would be fine.
Old 05-19-2007, 16:23   #9
Snowman92D

Quote:
Originally posted by axel
Tactical surprise could mean the difference between life and death in a VA Tech or similar situation. Why in the world would you want to possibly compromise your safety?
I don't understand it either. I suspect that sometimes the needs of the soul surpass the logic of the mind.
Snowman92D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 18:28   #10
rhino465

Quote:
For some it is a big deal, as they don't have a good opportunity to do it very often. For others, it's a new thing that they're just trying for whatever reasons. For some, it's following enlightenment of the laws, as they may have previously been under the misconception that open carry is illegal in Indiana.

For some, it's a poltical statement. For others, it's about educating/indoctrinating the public that it's okay to do it. For others it's about convenience and/or comfort. From some it's about a combination of those, or something completely different.
Old 05-19-2007, 21:16   #11
MakeMineaP99
Got SIG?

The area I was in is yuppie/soccer mom country. The point of open carrying was to excercise a right. These social elite liberals need to realize that decent hardworking people own and carry firearms, not just overweight, pick up driving, beer drinking Jethro types.

For the record, I prefer concealed carry for every day. I open carried to make a statement.

Kirk,

Must be the seventh law.

What's your UPS Acct #? I'll get a case of my reloads out to you right away, collect.
MakeMineaP99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 20:37   #12
Harlequin
I need a weapon

The only time I do it is when I have to remove my coat during the winter months and that happens to be my cover garment. Usually I am concealed. I understand that it's a tactical advantage. I can also understand that open carrying can be a deterrent, otherwise all police would carry concealed. It works both ways.
Big Dawg #1254: G21 and G30
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." The Dalai Lama, (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times) speaking in Portland, Oregon, when asked by a girl how to react when a shooter takes aim at a classmate
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 21:05   #13
Fenway

I'm not sure about that all police would carry concealed point.

Quote:
Originally posted by Harlequin
I can also understand that open carrying can be a deterrent, otherwise all police would carry concealed. It works both ways. [/B]
Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:36   #14
boby

Since we are swapping stories I have a funny one and a positive one.

Yesterday at subway in Greenfield I was asked by a rather thugish looking person if "Dats a GLOCK 9!?".
I replied "No sir its a GLOCK 23"
"O yea but dats a 9 right?"
"No its a .40"
"Damn dawg thats small for a .40"

That kind of cracked me up...

Today in Arbys the cashier asked if my weapon was real. I told her it was and asked her why she asked me that (I have been asked this a few times before.). She told me it just looked kind of like a bb gun because of the plastic grip. Then she told me a story where basically a guy was open carrying and a co-worker wanted her to call the police. She told the co-worker that quite obviously he was not going to rob them or he would have just done it, and that the guy was probably just carrying to protect himself.

I found that to be very encouraging

Keep on open carrying guys quite obviously it IS working.
boby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:39   #15
rhino465

I carried openly several places on my way home from the USPSA match at Terre Haute yesterday. No comments at all "in public," but when I was about 200 yards from my house, I stopped to talk to a childhood/highschool buddy who was hosing some debris from his driveway. I was in my truck and when he looked indside, he saw one of my pistols and said, "Been out shootin' people?"

I just looked at him with a blank expression for about three seconds, then continued with our conversation that lasted about half an hour longer. I'm pretty sure he was teasing me, but either way it wasn't an issue after I didn't respond.

I note that technically since I was in my vehicle it probably wasn't "open carry," per se, and that is when I got the comment. When I was walking around before that, nothing!
Old 05-21-2007, 20:43   #16
Fisher 21

I don't open carry. First, I am not comfortable with someone taking my gun from me. Haven't had that much self-defense experience to react accordingly. Second, I don't feel the need to (don't know why).

I don't worry too much about printing though.

Funny story, a new couple that my wife works with had us over for dinner the other night. He was asking about carry license, carrying, etc. No one there knew I had my 642 in a belly band under my shirt. He didn't ask, I didn't tell.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:56   #17
rhino465

There's an active topic in the www.AR15.com Indiana Hometown Forum about open carry:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=30&t=271247

Some of you may wish to express yourselves there!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:34   #18
Fenway

This post sticks out to me over there.

Quote:
I just took a beginner handgun course at Boone county. Sheriff Ken was more than hospitable and knowledgeable.
the point he made for concealed carry was this:
Although Indiana does not forbid open carry; one is a "damn fool" if one chooses to open carry. reason: IF you carry concealed you have a COICE. If you open carry the bad guy will choose to involve you weather you like it or not. With out announcing that you have a weapon you can gain cover and choose to stay out of the conflict OR create the surprise situation needed to take the BG off balance.
Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 15:26   #19
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

I thought that if someone was upset about some traffic move you made, and followed you to your destination, if you were open-carrying and you got out of the car, the mere sight of the weapon might preclude the idiot from doing something. I mean, an ordinary non-carrying joe. And even if he was carrying, he should be aware that your open carry would be drawn faster than his concealed, perhaps.
Old 06-09-2007, 18:03   #20
rhino465

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenway
This post sticks out to me over there.
Interesting! Having heard Sheriff Ken's lecture multiple times, I know he urges people to conceal in his jurisdiction. However, I've never heard him use the term "damn fool."

I'll have to ask him if he really said it.

It's also interesting to the significant difference between the average opinion over there vs. here. As a group, there are also notable political differences as well.