SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-22-2007, 15:51   #1
NashvilleGlock
CLM Number 264
EMT-Paramedic

Joining the National Guard Anyone want to come with?

Well after careful consideration I have decided to join the Army National Guard. I am taking my ASVAB on the 29th of this month and then will go to MEPS whenever there is a spot. I was hoping to head off to BCT with someone from the same area. I had a close friend that was going to join but he flaked out and now i'm on my own. If anybody has been considering it as well shoot me a PM. It would be good to with someone from my area.

I'm 30 years old married with 2 kids so it's going to be a hell of a change for me...
Old 05-22-2007, 16:46   #2
XDHSr

Good luck man. I'm too old for that. I was a signature away from the regular army back in the late 80's and never went back. Lots of respect for the military though. My dad was a colonel.

Godspeed.
Old 05-22-2007, 18:07   #3
April
Lifetime Membership

Send a message via Yahoo to April
I came *THIS* close to going ARNG in TN but decided I didn't really wanna learn Serbo-Croatian in 1999.

My husband is ANG at Selfridge. Do you know what you wanna do? Both NG branches are slot specific (you sign up not just for a job but a specific slot in the unit). Can't speak for Lansing MEPS but Nashville MEPS was just a matter of the recruiter adding your name to those processing for the day, no wait for MEPS just for training. And of course in the Guard you're on paid drill status prior to school dates.

Here's the list of jobs for the 127th at Selfridge: ANG Openings in case you're interested.

Also, don't forget that you can join the NG in another state if they have a job you want that's not available here. And you do best to enlist through the specific unit regardless.

Good luck and thanks for your desire to serve.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:04   #4
NashvilleGlock
CLM Number 264
EMT-Paramedic

Well I have been eying the MP MOS and it helps it's on the critical MOS list. If I go that route I plan on coming home and before I get deployed (I figure it's a matter of time) I'll try for a corrections position for Washtenaw county and hopefully move to a road position there.

However I was looking at some of the other critical MOS jobs and some seemed pretty promising.. Like Electrician, Plumber, Light wheeled mechanic. I'm just not sure how they translate into civilian life after I get home. For instance would I be able to take a test and then get my journeyman's card with my military training or would I still have to work under someone for 3 years.

I'm gonna go take a look at those ANG positions but I think I'm pretty locked in.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:37   #5
April
Lifetime Membership

Send a message via Yahoo to April
In most cases Journeyman Level is equivalent to E-5 as far as training and responsibility go. E-2 is trainee and E-3/4 is Apprentice. In the AF that can change slightly because you can complete upgrade training to the next level prior to actually being promoted but that's about the standard.

Your IET will only get you up to speed as an Apprentice for those civilians jobs that have those levels.

By all means find the job that interests you the most. If you want to go corrections/LE in the civilian world you can do that regardless of MOS/AFSC. Most departments just like to military service (and actually I know of a few that prefer to not have to "untrain" MPs).

Feel free to PM myself or ANGfireman regarding the guard if you have any questions about what it's like for families or those actually serving. He may have some insight into the MIARNG from previous experience that I obviously don't. (Poor man has been Navy, Army and Air Force in his 16 years )

ETA: "Critical MOS" in the Army = guaranteed deployment on Title 10 orders. If that's something you want to do, that's great. My humble suggestion is find the kind of job you want and see what your goals are then compare what's available across the board and talk to a BUNCH of people. One branch is better than another, just different in how they handle things.

Last edited by April; 05-23-2007 at 07:41..
April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:14   #6
Alpha Male

"I'm 30 years old married with 2 kids so it's going to be a hell of a change for me..."

Yeah, as in ruinous to your family. Unless you are currently an unemployed dirt farmer, the ramifications of multiple concurrent deployments on your personal finances and interpersonal familial relationships will ruin you forever. Especially if your spouse is not from a military family to begin with.

There is a reason they recruit at high schools and collages. Admirable and foolish are not mutually exclusive traits. I've been around this place since '99, and don't post much anymore. Your post brought me out of 'retirement', because it sounds like you have no idea what the hell you've gotten yourself into.

Good luck. You're going to need it.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 23:20   #7
mufasa1023

sorry, I'm too busy fighting my way through lawschool....but good on ya
Old 06-17-2007, 00:25   #8
Chui

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Male
"I'm 30 years old married with 2 kids so it's going to be a hell of a change for me..."

Yeah, as in ruinous to your family. Unless you are currently an unemployed dirt farmer, the ramifications of multiple concurrent deployments on your personal finances and interpersonal familial relationships will ruin you forever. Especially if your spouse is not from a military family to begin with.

There is a reason they recruit at high schools and colleges. Admirable and foolish are not mutually exclusive traits. I've been around this place since '99, and don't post much anymore. Your post brought me out of 'retirement', because it sounds like you have no idea what the Hell you've gotten yourself into.

Good luck. You're going to need it.
Bingo!

If it's not too late go do something else. Quickly. You'll end up in Iraq, Somalia, the Sudan or, God forbid, Iran. We the People need you (and our soldiers - particularly our Special Forces) here in the USA.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:11   #9
coverdog
Platinum Member

The end of many, many marriages as well. Good luck and come home safe.
coverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:23   #10
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Best wishes to you on this decision.

I hope you enjoy sand and camel spiders.

« Boss | Visiting MI »