Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-24-2007, 21:28   #1
WRMorrison

any solidworks users here?

I haven't done much with SW (other than complete a few tutorials on the 2006 version), but I'm going to be getting 2007 office premium here very shortly (being "promoted" to CAD/CAM designer). I'm excited about the opportunity, as it's what I'd rather be doing instead of machining, but I'm a bit nervous at the same time.

Any words of wisdom/advice that you can give me? Any good books that you can recommend for beginners?

Also, I'll probably be given a new computer. Any advice there? The company I work for is very generous (with VERY deep pockets) and will purchase whatever I need, provided that I actually NEED it to do my job efficiently. Most likely, they'll purchase the comp. from Dell (they've already bought over 80K worth of merch. from them this week), so is there anything I should ask for? I'm going to assume that more RAM is definitely needed, I'm guessing 2Gigs+? I also know that it's very graphics intensive, any great cards to recommend?

One more thing, if given the choice, I would prefer a notebook (unless it's a significant drawback) so that I can take it home with me. Is that going to cause any problems?

Thanks in advance,
-WRM
Old 05-25-2007, 07:17   #2
Furant

I've played with SolidWorks a bit, but definitely not too proficient with it.

If you want to be mobile from Dell, get something like the Precision M90. I run Pro/ENGINEER on the Precision M70 and I'm pretty pleased with its performance. How many components are in the assemblies that you're working with? Any advanced surfacing? Those sorts of things really impact the amount of RAM and the grahpics card memory that you'd want.

If you want to be mobile, you'll also want to consider the licensing. I believe SolidWorks uses FlexLM, just like Pro/ENGINEER. You'll want to ensure that you can get a locked license, configure your own machine as a license server or at least be able to access them from home by tunneling in through the VPN.

Joey

Oh yeah, if you do get a mobile workstation, get a port replicator (docking station) and large flat panel display for the office.
Furant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 20:00   #3
WRMorrison

Quote:
Originally posted by jferrante

If you want to be mobile from Dell, get something like the Precision M90. I run Pro/ENGINEER on the Precision M70 and I'm pretty pleased with its performance. How many components are in the assemblies that you're working with? Any advanced surfacing? Those sorts of things really impact the amount of RAM and the grahpics card memory that you'd want.

If you want to be mobile, you'll also want to consider the licensing. I believe SolidWorks uses FlexLM, just like Pro/ENGINEER. You'll want to ensure that you can get a locked license, configure your own machine as a license server or at least be able to access them from home by tunneling in through the VPN.

Joey

Oh yeah, if you do get a mobile workstation, get a port replicator (docking station) and large flat panel display for the office.
Thanks for the advice! I will be working on very large assemblies at times, and extensive 3D surfacing. I was talking to my new soon-to-be boss, and his new computer has dual, quad-core processors, 4G ram, etc., etc. with a 30" widescreen flat panel.

He suggested a desktop though because he doesn't think that the notebook will be powerful enough. And even if it were, something that expensive would HAVE to stay on premises...lol.

-WRM
Old 05-25-2007, 20:06   #4
WRMorrison

Quote:
Originally posted by jferrante

Joey

Thanks for the advice! I will be working on very large assemblies at times, and extensive 3D surfacing. I was talking to my new soon-to-be boss, and his new computer has dual, quad-core processors, 4G ram, etc., etc. with a 30" widescreen flat panel.

He suggested a desktop though because he doesn't think that the notebook will be powerful enough. And even if it were, something that expensive would HAVE to stay on premises...lol.

-WRM