SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-26-2007, 00:10   #1
A_Fletcher
Yardwork Ninja

Change of address?

Since I can't get the SO to call me back, I figure I'll ask you guys. Maybe someone's run into this sort of thing before.

I'm moving to a completely opposite side of the state in a little while. Do I have to get my address updated on my CCW like I would a driver's license? If so, can I go to the jurisdiction I live in now or would I have to go to the jurisdiction that I'm moving to? Also what is the time limit on changing the address, if in fact I do have to change it?
A_Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:42   #2
A_Fletcher
Yardwork Ninja

Old 05-26-2007, 19:50   #3
WBL_MP9

You must register your new address with the SO that issued your CHL. IIRC, you have 45 days from the time you establish your new address.

Hamilton County issued me a new CHL with updated address without even asking; charged $5.

WBL
WBL_MP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:27   #4
A_Fletcher
Yardwork Ninja

Awesome! Thanks!
Old 05-29-2007, 00:16   #5
degoodman
Out of Columbus

Send a message via AIM to degoodman
Ditto WBL, except Madison County didn't charge me a dime for the reissue. I did it on "change all my ID's" day when I moved. Hit the DMV, Banks, Sheriff's Office, Post office in one swoop. All of those offices will let you report the change by telephone, mail or in most cases online form, but I have a thing for having my current correct address on all froms of ID in my possession. The DMV and an officer on a traffic stop might buy it, but there's lots of stuff you can't do with an ID with incorrect info on it, not the least of which is buying a gun.
degoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 23:11   #6
nehpets99

Quote:
Originally posted by degoodman
there's lots of stuff you can't do with an ID with incorrect info on it, not the least of which is buying a gun.
My brother bought a rifle even though he filled out a different address on his ATF form than what's on his ID. We moved after he got his ID but before he bought the rifle so he was able to get a card or something from the post office or DMV I think saying that the address was indeed changed. The guy checked with his manager and the purchase was made.
nehpets99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:12   #7
WBL_MP9

I gave the gun shop my CHL (with current address) for the last two pistols I bought. My D/L address is at least 3 yrs old. No problems at all.

WBL
Old 05-30-2007, 06:32   #8
A_Fletcher
Yardwork Ninja

Well guys, I called up and had it changed. The LT said he doesn't have to issue a new card, just change it in the computer. It didn't cost me anything.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:39   #9
WBL_MP9

You are not required to get an updated CHL. As long as the issuing SO has your current address on record you are OK. Just don't expect LEO to know this if you ever need to produce it.

I prefer having a current address on my CHL. That way there will be no confusion.

I figured HCSO would do so without asking....just like they (Ham. Co.)just raised our sales tax without allowing a vote......they do as they please.

WBL
Old 05-30-2007, 11:55   #10
degoodman
Out of Columbus

Quote:
Originally posted by nehpets99
My brother bought a rifle even though he filled out a different address on his ATF form than what's on his ID. We moved after he got his ID but before he bought the rifle so he was able to get a card or something from the post office or DMV I think saying that the address was indeed changed. The guy checked with his manager and the purchase was made.
This is technically illegal. The ATF requires that you must present valid government issued photo identification showing your name, residence address and date of birth. If it does not show your current residence address it does not qualify. It's more of a problem for the seller than you, but the transaction should not have occurred.

Likewise on Ohio CHL's. According to the state they are not valid forms of identification, and technically have no validity without an additional form of ID in your possession while you're carrying.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:53   #11
nehpets99

Quote:
Originally posted by degoodman
This is technically illegal. The ATF requires that you must present valid government issued photo identification showing your name, residence address and date of birth. If it does not show your current residence address it does not qualify. It's more of a problem for the seller than you, but the transaction should not have occurred.

Likewise on Ohio CHL's. According to the state they are not valid forms of identification, and technically have no validity without an additional form of ID in your possession while you're carrying.
Interesting. Can you state your source so I can see for future reference? You'd think that a gov't-issued form other than a driver's license that says what your address is would count... oh well
nehpets99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 13:06   #12
degoodman
Out of Columbus

Quote:
Originally posted by nehpets99
Interesting. Can you state your source so I can see for future reference? You'd think that a gov't-issued form other than a driver's license that says what your address is would count... oh well
The first part is from line 1 in the instructions to the transferor section of the ATF 4473 from on page 3. The ATF has also issued rulings on this in it's FFL newsletter.

The second part is direct from the ORC 2923.126(a) duties of a licensee. You must carry valid identification with your CHL when actually in possession of a handgun.