Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:46   #1
Poodle

Christian Muslim Dialogue

I'm the Executive Secretary of the CBCP Commission on Interreligious Dialogue, in charge of external relations (and internal formation of Catholics in dialogue) with people of other religions. And one very important aspect of our work is Christian Muslim Dialogue especially in our country, where a decades old conflict is still on-going.

Last February, we held a dialogue between Iranian religious leaders and scholars and Catholic scholars engaged in actual dialogue. The title of the Dialogue was: "Faith, Reason and Jihad". The point of departure was the Regensberg Lecture of Pope Benedict XVI and the response of Muslim scholarship entitled: "Open Letter to Benedict XVI".

I'm happy to report that there was coincidence between the Catholic and the Muclim position on faith and reason. The concept of Islamic Jihad was also clarified. I will supply the press statement that we issued below:

Press Statement on Faith, Reason and Jihad

A Roundtable Discussion among Christian and Muslim experts focusing on Faith, Reason and Jihad was held at the Royal and Pontifical University of Santo Tomas on February 5, 2007.

The Christian panelists include:

1. Fr. SEBASTIANO D’AMBRA
Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions (PIME)
Harmony Village Silsilah Center, Pitogo,
Sinunuc 7000, Zamboanga City

2. Sr. LILIAN CURAMING, FMM
Stella Maris Compound
Cambridge Street, Cubao, Quezon City

The Muslim panelists include:

1. The Honorable Dr. MOHAMMAD JAVAD VAZIRI FARD
Deputy Head
Islamic Culture Relations Organization,
Tehran Islamic Republic of Iran

2. Dr. MOHAMMAD ALI SHOMALI
Interfaith Dialogue Expert
September Way, Stanmore, London, UK

The two panels declared that there is an intimate relationship between Faith (Religion) and Reason (Wisdom).
As regards Jihad, the Muslim panel presented a Microsoft Powerpoint Presentation on Jihad. Islamic Jihad means “to struggle for God”. Every struggle for God is considered as Jihad, e.g., trying to better one’s life is Jihad. The major Jihad is to struggle to conquer self against one’s own temptations in order to submit to God.
As regards War, the Muslim panel distinguishes between War and Aggression. Aggression is always wrong. War in order to impose one’s religion upon another by force is wrong. A War of Conquest is wrong. War as legitimate self defense is correct. War however should be regulated. Atrocities are not allowed by Islamic teaching. The Christian panel stressed that in contemporary times, the concept of a just war is untenable.
Terrorism and random violence that target non-combatants and the innocent are not allowed by Islam. It was acknowledged however that in every tradition some people may become fanatics when they perceive that justice cannot be achieved by peaceful means. They are misguided and must be educated but the situation is complex. On the one hand, we should address the injustice and on the other hand we should strive against violence.
The Muslim panel also said that according to the Koran, it is better to forgive. But if systematic evil continues, forgiveness is not possible. They also said that some media practitioners sometimes unwittingly favor radicalism and fundamentalism when they equate Islam with automatic fanaticism.

I hope that this teaching be propagated by Muslims and Christians alike.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:31   #2
Astra22

Wow, there seems to be a faint light at the end of a long dark tunnel!

IMO, the problem lies on both sides where each followers become more of a fanatic and acts on thier own, without any reason.

Thanks for sharing Fr.
Astra22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:54   #3
PMMA97
MNSAmessdetail

These are discussions of leaders. I just hope that subordinates on the combat field follow the chain of command and not create their own twisted reasoning behind what they are doing.
PMMA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 18:20   #4
Poodle

Quote:
Originally posted by PMMA97
These are discussions of leaders. I just hope that subordinates on the combat field follow the chain of command and not create their own twisted reasoning behind what they are doing.
This is the challenge today. But recently, when the Abu Sayyaf beheaded 7 workers, the Grand Mufti (scholar) of Sulu issued a statement saying that the perpetrators are not going to smell the sweet taste of heaven. In short, they are not going to be martyrs. A far cry from the distorted teaching that a martyr will received 99 virgins (all 99 years old I hope) when they get to heaven. There is hope.

Last edited by Poodle; 06-01-2007 at 18:22..
Old 06-01-2007, 22:16   #5
PMMA97
MNSAmessdetail

Amen to that Father.
PMMA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 00:51   #6
charlie-xray
Gunpowder Adik

Send a message via Yahoo to charlie-xray
"to impose one’s religion upon another by force is wrong"

I hate to disagree, but I would invite all of you to come and visit Saudi Arabia. For you to find out.

I hate to be the pessimist but as far as my experience, Muslims are all talk but no walk most of the time.
charlie-xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:50   #7
Poodle

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie-xray
"to impose one’s religion upon another by force is wrong"

I hate to disagree, but I would invite all of you to come and visit Saudi Arabia. For you to find out.

I hate to be the pessimist but as far as my experience, Muslims are all talk but no walk most of the time.
There are several denominations in Islam: [1] Suffism; [2] Shia; [3] Sunni and [4] Wahabism. Saudi Arabia has Wahabism. This denomination is quite intolerant of other religions (and also of the other Islam denominations) unfortunately. An example of this is the Islamic police. In Wahabism, politics, culture and religion are indistinguishable. Here in the Philippines, we have sunni, sufi and a few shia. Lately however, Saudi Arabia has been sending wahabi missionaries here in the Philippines with their brand of Islam {while some Muslim countries do not allow the entry of wahabi missionaries into their country). These converts are the ones who later on become intolerant here.

I have a lot of Muslim friends and acquaintances. These are the learned ones of course. Most of them are open. Some are not so open. The challenge for us Christians is dialogue. We now live in a cosmopolitan world with the phenomenom of globalization. There are Muslims who have migrated to Manila and the other big cities. They are here to stay. We have to learn how to live together.

Last edited by Poodle; 06-02-2007 at 02:55..
Old 06-02-2007, 02:53   #8
Poodle

Old 06-02-2007, 18:07   #9
theTactician

Quote:
Originally posted by Poodle
amen to that
Old 06-04-2007, 02:32   #10
Allegra

What I'm really curious about is why muslim rebels do not bomb cell sites?
I keep hearing the NPA's bomb cel sites

Is it because marami sila kamag anak sa greenhills?
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 00:15   #11
bmag

AMEN.

GOOD TO FIND SUCH THREAD OF HOPE IN THESE PLACES
bmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:08   #12
chowchow

Whats the largest grp of muslims in Mindanao? Suffism, sunni or shia?
chowchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:45   #13
akula
BizDuc NM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allegra
What I'm really curious about is why muslim rebels do not bomb cell sites?
I keep hearing the NPA's bomb cel sites

Is it because marami sila kamag anak sa greenhills?
...do you wonder why only Globe cellsites gets blown up by the Neps?

Yung mga m-rebels, di cellsites, but rather NPC towers yung kadalasang targets nila. Gumagamit din sila nga text msgs
Old 06-10-2007, 07:44   #14
Allegra

Quote:
Originally posted by chowchow
sunni? shiites? di ba tribes sa iraq yun?
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Old 06-10-2007, 07:51   #15
Allegra

Quote:
Originally posted by akula
...do you wonder why only Globe cellsites gets blown up by the Neps?

Yung mga m-rebels, di cellsites, but rather NPC towers yung kadalasang targets nila. Gumagamit din sila nga text msgs

Globe lang ba? Kastila kasi , makunat hehe sreiously , good for the globe management
- the Camel Driver
Old 06-11-2007, 00:31   #16
charlie-xray
Gunpowder Adik

Just look at trends in other countries and in Mindanao, when Muslims numbers grows to such an extent they organize and don't want to be managed by Christians, its in their doctrine and Qur'an not to be governed by infidels.

Ang kinabubuwisit ko pa palagi is when they get whacked by OMB-Edu Manzano palagi akala mo mga aping-api, minsan ikakatwiran pa dahil daw muslim sila, feeling inaapi yung relihiyon nila. Saang Muslim community sa NCR ang nakita mong matino, progressive or even humane, Quiapo???? Taguig???? Etong sa Baclaran??? Squatter na matatapang pa.

They may talk all they want, but how sure could you TRUST them????

IMHO, talking to them, letting them sign treaties would not solve our problems.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:02   #17
Valor1
Pro Paingiver

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie-xray
Just look at trends in other countries and in Mindanao, when Muslims numbers grows to such an extent they organize and don't want to be managed by Christians, its in their doctrine and Qur'an not to be governed by infidels.

Ang kinabubuwisit ko pa palagi is when they get whacked by OMB-Edu Manzano palagi akala mo mga aping-api, minsan ikakatwiran pa dahil daw muslim sila, feeling inaapi yung relihiyon nila. Saang Muslim community sa NCR ang nakita mong matino, progressive or even humane, Quiapo???? Taguig???? Etong sa Baclaran??? Squatter na matatapang pa.

They may talk all they want, but how sure could you TRUST them????

IMHO, talking to them, letting them sign treaties would not solve our problems.
I emphatize brother. The answer is, barilan na. Barilin na at bahala na ko sa mga Viva Hotbabes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Valor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 00:18   #18
charlie-xray
Gunpowder Adik

Coool, Nice one valor1.
Old 06-12-2007, 22:49   #19
Poodle

Clarifications:
The Shia, Sunni, Suffi and Wahabism are actually denominations within Islam. Here, we have tribes in Mindanao who happen to be Muslim like those from Maguindanao or the Tausugs.

We must distinguish between the Religion that is Islam and the culture where Islam is to be found. There is a distinction between ethnicity and religion.

One pre-requisite to genuine dialogue is trust. I know a lot of Muslims and they are my friends. They are decent and friendly. Most of them do not like war (but they like their guns, same as we like our guns - a trait that is cultural rather than religious). War should be a last resort and war is only justified if it is waged in self defense. We should learn to live together as brothers.

It is true that there are squatters who happen to be Muslims, but there are also squatters who happen to be Christians. Being a squatter is not a Muslim trait. "Christian" squatters who are demolished also become angry.

It is true that there are sellers of pirated DVDs who happen to be Muslims, but there are also sellers of pirated DVDs who happen to be Christians. Being a seller of pirated DVDs is not a Muslim trait. "Christian" sellers of pirated DVDs whose pirated DVDs are confiscated also become angry.

I personally know the community leaders of the Muslim community in Taguig and they are decent and humane. In fact, they have set up a computer school witht the intention of giving educational and job opportunities to Christians and Muslims alike. There was a young man who was being recruited by the Abu Sayyaf and he refused because he was given just such an opportunity. We have to afford them HOPE.

There are misguided Muslims who are intolerant of other cultures and religions but we must acknowledge that there are also "Christians" who are intolerant and bigoted. The intention of dialogue is to instill a spirit of mutual respect and tolerance among different cultures and religions.

A lot of the causes of conflict come from injustices and the inequitable distribution of wealth and opportunity. A lot of prejudices coming from both parties come from ignorance of each other.

We are currently engaged in a very costly war for several decades now in Mindanao. The resort to arms has so far brought us to a stalemate. The Government of the RP (GRP) is not losing but it is not winning also. This war has crippled the economy and provoked untold suffering among the populace. The insurgents in Iraq are not being stemmed by the armed might of the USA. It should have been a lesson learned already in the Vietnam and Afganistan experiences of the two superpowers.

We must somehow find the way to peace. One road is the way of dialogue.

Last edited by Poodle; 06-12-2007 at 22:53..
Old 06-12-2007, 23:30   #20
KevlarSix

Send a message via Yahoo to KevlarSix

Quote:
Originally posted by chowchow
The Maranao Tribe dominate Northern Mindanao(Lanao Provinces), The Maguindanao Tribe dominate Central/Southern Mindanao(Cotabato Provinces) while the Tausug Tribe dominate Southwestern Mindanao(Zamboanga,Basilan Provinces)

KevlarSix
Black Rifle Club #57
Sig Sauer Club #226
Band Of Glockers #44
Heckler & Koch Club #86
KevlarSix is offline   Reply With Quote