SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:51   #1
lordjim_2001

Send a message via Yahoo to lordjim_2001
Sportsman's warehouse

FYI The Sportsman's Warehouse in Lexington is open. I just got back from my lunch break excursion and I can only say it's cool. Lots of firearms and lots of friendly folk behind the counter. A little slim in the ammo department but it looks like it's just empty shelves and lack of specifics not "we're not carrying lots of ammo". No huge deals, just fair prices.
Wheelhouse #1868
Milsurp #1868
Rimfire Club #1868
lordjim_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 18:26   #2
Mwildt

Looks like I have something to do on lunch tomorrow.
Mwildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 20:49   #3
The Pirate
HARRRRR!!!

wheres it at?
The Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:00   #4
Gary G23

*Located at "Sir Barton Way" & "Winchester Road".
Gary G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 22:07   #5
The Pirate
HARRRRR!!!

Thanks
Old 05-12-2007, 13:19   #6
Razoreye
♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

War Admiral Drive. Uh what he said above.

I was there from 1230 to 1330 with my GT hat on and no one said "Hi" to me so I can only assume no GTers were there when I went. I'll probably go again tonight or tomorrow.

And if I close my mind in fear... Please pry it open!

Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.
Razoreye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 14:32   #7
lordjim_2001

Send a message via Yahoo to lordjim_2001
Went back last night with Mrs. Lordjim. One of the guys behind the counter recognized me from my lunch hour excursion on Thursday. Mrs. LJ has good taste, couldn't decide between a Walther P22 or a Ruger 10/22, pistol that is. I think I'll make a pliker out of her yet!
Wheelhouse #1868
Milsurp #1868
Rimfire Club #1868
lordjim_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 14:50   #8
Mwildt

Went in today to check it out, nice selection as far as ammo, reloading and shooting supplies in general.

There was plenty of people at the gun counter "looking" around. Lost count of how many times I heard a slide slam home. Couldn't really get close enough to see what all was there. I'll have to go back on a weeknight to see what all is behind the counter.
Mwildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 16:15   #9
Rhandhali

I stopped by this afternoon. The crowd was quite simply insane, you could walk around the store on people's shoulders there were so many there.

I picked up a box of 500 copper plated 124gr RN 9mm for about 26 bucks, a pair of low-end Alpine binoculars (8x50) for my trip to Robinson Forest tomorrow for about 40 and a few hundred CCI small pistol primers for about 2.39 per hundred. Not a bad place, all things considered. Plenty of reloading stuff and a very large selection of guns. I didn't even look at the archery, fishing or camping stuff.

Ammo prices were meh at best, American Ammunition 9mm was 9.99 a box of 50. I don't suppose anyone saw how much CCI Stingers or Velocitors were? I completely forgot to check.

If you check out their website I would recommend downloading a copy of their opening day flyer, there is a $10.00 off $50.00 or more coupon in it that's good till the 31st.
Rhandhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 16:24   #10
Berretta9

Sounds like the prices are a bit on the high side. Especially the Amerc ammo. I wouldn't shoot that for free.

Last edited by Berretta9; 05-12-2007 at 16:27..
Berretta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:23   #11
Razoreye
♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Quote:
Originally posted by Mwildt
Went in today to check it out, nice selection as far as ammo, reloading and shooting supplies in general.

There was plenty of people at the gun counter "looking" around. Lost count of how many times I heard a slide slam home. Couldn't really get close enough to see what all was there. I'll have to go back on a weeknight to see what all is behind the counter.
Few things I noticed: No federal primers, didn't have the powder I wanted either. I was going to grab some and reload all day but now I couldn't.

Ammo prices seem on the high side. I get 10% discount at WM so I'll go there instead.

Guys behind the gun counter pushing Sigs very, very hard. I wanted to get a good look but both times I went there were 10+ people at the gun counter. I'll have to go another time. Oh, a guy comes in asking for anything in 10mm and he gets the answer "Not many of those any more, manufacturers are moving away from the 10." Somehow, I doubt that is factually true.

"Sigs are the best guns out there, special forces... blah... blah... blah..." Good grief. I just smiled at him with my GT hat on.

Tons of bait, I'll go back for fishing bait for sure. They also have Surefires that I've been thinking about getting. I'll probably raid the camping gear as well. Overall, good store!

PS - they have Hi Mountain seasoning there, a whole rack!

Old 05-13-2007, 20:25   #12
The Pirate
HARRRRR!!!

I was there today as well, I have to say I was impressed. They had a pretty good selection of products. Ammo prices were not what I was hoping for, but about what I was expecting. I'll definitely be going back soon.
Old 05-20-2007, 15:09   #13
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Razoreye
Few things I noticed: No federal primers, didn't have the powder I wanted either. I was going to grab some and reload all day but now I couldn't.

Ammo prices seem on the high side. I get 10% discount at WM so I'll go there instead.

Guys behind the gun counter pushing Sigs very, very hard. I wanted to get a good look but both times I went there were 10+ people at the gun counter. I'll have to go another time. Oh, a guy comes in asking for anything in 10mm and he gets the answer "Not many of those any more, manufacturers are moving away from the 10." Somehow, I doubt that is factually true.

I think it's true that the 10mm's aren't being made so much anymore. I went there to pick up 1,000 rounds of 9mm, since such a big, new store was sure to have a great deal. After looking at the prices, I went over to Wal Mart and saved $50+ on my 1,000 rounds. The prices are outrageous and the selection doesn't seem to have been planned that well (i.e., you can get a Dillon RL550, but none of the accessories for it - primers are high, popular powders not available (Win 231)). It's a nice place to look, but it's definitely the new "Highest Priced Gun Shop in Town."
Old 05-23-2007, 16:29   #14
Leigh

My own.02 review...

I visited the place on 05/23/07 and noticed a very good selection of folding/fixed blade knives (Benchmade/Spyderco/Gerber/KA-Bar/Kershaw/SOG/Cold Steel/Victorinox/etc.) and good assortment of camping supplies/quality brand first aid kits/etc. (similar to Dick's but possibly a bit cheaper) and a good assortment of flashlights , both LED and Xenon type. The Surefire's all looked to be darned near retail (not a real shock).

That said, the prices were not the cheapest BUT the sales staff were friendly and helpful. As one who prefers to "handle" a $100 knife sight unseen (i.e. online), I liked the store and plan to go back soon.

BTW, the newness must have worn off....only about 10-15 other customers in the whole place today (around 1:30 PM).
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:29   #15
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I stopped by there yesterday 5-23-07 and looked around for a good bit. I really just happened to stumble upon it, I was about to give up looking for it. It wasn't very crowded, but then again it was a Wednesday and most folks were probably at work.

I seems to me that they've got inventory that hasn't come in yet, as their ammo and reloading sections were okay, but not the greatest. I too was going to pick up some reloading supplies but they didn't have the powder I wanted or any Federal primers. Prices were a little high, but nothing too out of whack.

I figured I'd look at a Springfield XD45 while in there, and I asked the guy behind the counter for the XD45 and he didn't know what it was. He had to ask me who made it, which is okay I guess, maybe he's just not up to snuff on his guns... yet.

All was not lost, I bought my girlfriend and myself a pair of Crocs. Overall it's a real nice store.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:50   #16
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Leigh
That said, the prices were not the cheapest BUT the sales staff were friendly and helpful. As one who prefers to "handle" a $100 knife sight unseen (i.e. online), I liked the store and plan to go back soon.

BTW, the newness must have worn off....only about 10-15 other customers in the whole place today (around 1:30 PM).
I agree that it's a good place to handle stuff...so I'll know what I'm getting when I go home and order it online from Midway. As for the number of customers, the "price shock" was so bad I haven't even felt the need to go back and look at stuff, so maybe others feel the same.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:30   #17
Berretta9

Same thing happens here with Bass Pro Shop. You can see and handle a lot of stuff but the prices are insane.
Berretta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 15:00   #18
moreammoplz

Finally had the chance to check it out.

Nice store, looks to be much smaller than the one I saw in Denver, CO last year.

I thought the selection was nice and I am sure they will get more stuff it. Ammo and primers were a tad high, I thought they had good prices on some of the powder. I didn't care for how they displayed the handguns, I couldn't read the small price tags. Staff was very friendly, I am sure I will buy some camping gear in the next month.
moreammoplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 14:35   #19
The Pirate
HARRRRR!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by moreammoplz
I didn't care for how they displayed the handguns, I couldn't read the small price tags. Staff was very friendly, I am sure I will buy some camping gear in the next month.

Thats one thing I hate about most gunshops, is the way they display the guns (usually rifles), they have them behind a counter just far enough away that I can't read the price. Antique & Modern is one place that handles this fine. Pretty much everything is right there to look at and see the price. Thats another reason I like gun shows as well. I have probably missed buying some items over the years because I couldn't see the price tag and didn't feel like asking.
Old 06-03-2007, 17:44   #20
Razoreye
♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Quote:
Originally posted by Bren
I think it's true that the 10mm's aren't being made so much anymore. I went there to pick up 1,000 rounds of 9mm, since such a big, new store was sure to have a great deal. After looking at the prices, I went over to Wal Mart and saved $50+ on my 1,000 rounds. The prices are outrageous and the selection doesn't seem to have been planned that well (i.e., you can get a Dillon RL550, but none of the accessories for it - primers are high, popular powders not available (Win 231)). It's a nice place to look, but it's definitely the new "Highest Priced Gun Shop in Town."
It could be true but he went on to tell a guy that the shotgun's stock was made of Kevlar, the same used in body armor. It looked sythetic, possibly composite to me. I'm not to keen on Kevlar but it sure as heck didn't look like it to me.