Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:55   #1
nognig

Confused about CT pistol law

I'll be moving to CT in a few months and I'm confused by the laws. From what I understand, you can't carry a pistol (even unloaded in your car's trunk) without a pistol permit.

To obtain said permit, you need to take a NRA course. How does one go about taking such a course if you can't get your pistol to the place you take the course? I guess one option is to rent one, but that might not always be possible.

Is there something I'm missing?

NN
nognig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 13:06   #2
Hef
Stop Obammunism

If you have a resident permit from your home state, apply to the CT State Police for a CT non-res permit. Once you move, get it switched to a resident permit. I'm willing to bet the Special Licensing & Firearms Unit will make the switch for you, so that you can avoid the hassle of dealing with a local CT PD (and the possible anti-gun attitudes prevalent in lower CT PD's).

Call the State Police.
Old 06-03-2007, 16:42   #3
Jene

Here we go again!!!!! Hef, we are not anti-gun in CT. Getting a permit is straight forward and is not a hassle. Before you start making assumptions and maligning our local PD's, you might want to be informed and know what you are talking about. Do I sound like I took the comment personally.... you bet I do. Most officers, to include the ones I work with, are not anti-gun. The only ones I've really ever run across were higher-ups in big cities, with political aspirations.

Nognig, if you are moving to the state, yes, unloaded in the trunk, ammunition elswhere, gun locked up will not cause you an issue. Then apply for a permit. Taking the course is easy, and the place where you go usually provides the guns. Its not like a long or involved shooting session; more a safety and familiarization session.

Last edited by Jene; 06-03-2007 at 19:19..
Jene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37   #4
Tvov

Almost all gun ranges and gun clubs provide permit classes. In the class I took at the local range, a range gun rental was included with the cost of the class.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:22   #5
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally posted by Jene
Here we go again!!!!! Hef, we are not anti-gun in CT. Getting a permit is straight forward and is not a hassle. Before you start making assumptions and maligning our local PD's, you might want to be informed and know what you are talking about. Do I sound like I took the comment personally.... you bet I do. Most officers, to include the ones I work with, are not anti-gun. The only ones I've really ever run across were higher-ups in big cities, with political aspirations.

Nognig, if you are moving to the state, yes, unloaded in the trunk, ammunition elswhere, gun locked up will not cause you an issue. Then apply for a permit. Taking the course is easy, and the place where you go usually provides the guns. Its not like a long or involved shooting session; more a safety and familiarization session.
My comment was based upon the attitudes of the (lower Fairfield/New Haven) personnel who make decisions regarding permits, policy, etc, as they are the people who use their positions to promote anti-gun agendas. My experience has been that CT patrol officers overall are 50/50 when it comes to supporting gun rights, but in lower Fairfield County and New Haven they seem to be more anti-gun than pro-gun.

I'm not attacking you personally, so please don't take it as such. I've met quite a few cops, and have/had a few in my family. My cousin was the chief of police in Stamford (retired now).
Old 06-04-2007, 12:21   #6
nognig

Thanks guys! I don't have a permit in my home state, so I can't get the temp permit based on that.

My other option is to take the NRA course here in Michigan before I leave. My question is, will there be a problem getting it recognized? Which course should I take?

I've been shooting for 3 years or so, I think I'm pretty good with a pistol, at least an intermediate level of skill. Should I just take the most basic handgun course?

NN
nognig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 17:05   #7
eyesnorth

Quote:
Originally posted by nognig
Thanks guys! I don't have a permit in my home state, so I can't get the temp permit based on that.

My other option is to take the NRA course here in Michigan before I leave. My question is, will there be a problem getting it recognized? Which course should I take?

I've been shooting for 3 years or so, I think I'm pretty good with a pistol, at least an intermediate level of skill. Should I just take the most basic handgun course?

NN
Basic is all that is required. Don't worry, the laws and PDs here aren't bad on a whole except fot the occasional individual with an attitude.
eyesnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:14   #8
harlenm

Quote:
Originally posted by Hef
My experience has been that CT patrol officers overall are 50/50 when it comes to supporting gun rights, but in lower Fairfield County and New Haven they seem to be more anti-gun than pro-gun.
I'm in lower Fairfield County, and I don't think I've come across a cop that isn't pro-gun.

Most of them are pretty nice, even had a nice talk with a State Trooper who was asking what I was carrying.
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:41   #9
Douglas in CT

Quote:
Originally posted by harlenm
Most of them are pretty nice, even had a nice talk with a State Trooper who was asking what I was carrying.
That's good old harlem and his lead foot again!

Be the good Boy Scout...BE PREPARED!
Douglas in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 16:23   #10
harlenm

Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas in CT
That's good old harlem and his lead foot again!
This was after I was rear-ended while completely stopped on 95.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:15   #11
eyesnorth

Quote:
This was after I was rear-ended while completely stopped on 95.

Well there's your mistake...don't slow down on 95 for anything.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:20   #12
DB79

I'm in lower Fairfield County and didn't run into any anti-gun attitudes when applying. Although, the police did character interviews with all my neighbors which caused some discontent. The funny thing was that none of my neighbors knew me or that I lived next to them.
DB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:35   #13
harlenm

Quote:
Originally posted by eyesnorth
Well there's your mistake...don't slow down on 95 for anything.
Everyone else was stopped, what was I supposed to do? Drive in the shoulder?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:05   #14
eyesnorth

Quote:
Everyone else was stopped, what was I supposed to do? Drive in the shoulder?
Absolutely!
Old 07-13-2007, 13:57   #15
SBD

Quote:
Originally posted by nognig

NN
Hey NN,

I suggest you start reading the laws (CT state as well as federal) before you move. As far as getting your pistol to CT without a permit, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm....22_Provision.

As for your permit class, there really is no "choice" involved. What I mean is that what you should be looking to sign up for is something with "NRA pistol permit class" in the title. It shouldn't matter where you take the class as long as it was taught by an NRA-certified instructor and you receive a certificate that has his or her NRA number on the bottom. Then when you move to CT, go to your local police and you can start the application process.

I just got my CT resident CCP on Monday, about three weeks after I applied for it. Let me know if you have any more questions.
SBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 14:45   #16
harlenm

It is not a ccw or ccp permit. There is no requirement to conceal, no matter what you are told. It may be frowned upon, but it is not illegal. It is a permit to carry, that is all.

Last edited by harlenm; 07-13-2007 at 14:48..
Old 07-13-2007, 16:17   #17
SBD

I called it that out of habit (I also have a non-resident VA permit, which is a permit to conceal because the laws are different down there).

Hey harlenm, have you ever had problems with onlookers open-carrying where you live in CT (if you've tried)?
SBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 16:43   #18
harlenm

Won't try it, not in the area where I live.
Old 07-20-2007, 17:03   #19
Floodster

Quote:
Originally posted by Jene
Here we go again!!!!! Hef, we are not anti-gun in CT. Getting a permit is straight forward and is not a hassle.
Not true. The officer in my town was VERY anti and even tried to talk me out of getting my pistol permit.
Floodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 17:09   #20
Tvov

Quote:
Originally posted by Floodster
Not true. The officer in my town was VERY anti and even tried to talk me out of getting my pistol permit.
Well, yea. You do have to get a local permit first, which means you have to go through the local PD. It is too bad you ran into that, but you did get it?

My PD did not even blink an eye. They helped with the paperwork and everything went easily and quickly.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote