Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2007, 21:47   #1
Ridgeway

Send a message via AIM to Ridgeway
Private ftf pistol sales, out of state buyer?

Put a usp up for trade on another local forum.
Individual asserts his leo status exempts him from needing to reside in KY to conduct a ftf transfer.

Am I mistaken in my understanding that being a LEO does not exempt one from such a requirement/law?
Ridgeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:35   #2
domzilla9
Phone Flinger

Send a message via AIM to domzilla9 Send a message via Yahoo to domzilla9
Ridgeway you are correct.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:17   #3
Gary G23

The LEO exemption is only valid if he buys from an FFL and produces a letter from his deparment head stating the weapon is for duty use.

The only way an idividual can sell a firearm to someone out of state is if you are selling to an FFL.
Gary G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:46   #4
domzilla9
Phone Flinger

In a recent conversation with a young LEO he referred to me as a "civilian", i.e. "this training program is also open to civilians". I almost reminded him that unless he has been inducted in a branch of the U.S. Military, he is also a civilian. But since I had just met him I didn't want to break his balls.

To wit; I know that LE is most often grossly undercompensated for the services that they perform but I'm getting annoyed with cops that think that there are laws for them and laws for the rest of us, "civilians".
Old 06-04-2007, 07:10   #5
wprebeck
Got quacks?

Were you talking to Gene again?

But, according to Dictionary.com, he (or whomever it was) is correct:

ci·vil·ian /sɪˈvɪlyən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[si-vil-yuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a person who is not on active duty with a military, naval, police, or fire fighting organization.
2. Informal. anyone regarded by members of a profession, interest group, society, etc., as not belonging; nonprofessional; outsider: We need a producer to run the movie studio, not some civilian from the business world.
3. a person versed in or studying Roman or civil law.
–adjective 4. of, pertaining to, formed by, or administered by civilians.

Hey, you know the meanings of words change over time....this is one that has, apparently.

But, back on topic:

Nah, ATF rules still apply to the whole out-of-state thing, unless it's with a letterhead, and the seller is an FFL.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:49   #6
domzilla9
Phone Flinger

Thankfully, interpretation of our nation's laws does not rely on common usage of language and definitions published by dictionary.com or even by more reputable lexicographers such as Oxford or Webster. A dictionary's entry for "soldier" doesn't define a legal meaning any more than its definition of "civilian".

My point: Many people already think that only the police and military (and not "civilians") have a constitutional right to bear arms. Language that classifies police as an entitled class, set apart from "civilians" by their expanded rights to firearms ownership and use, is the hallmark of Fascism.

I'd prefer to not live in a world where police have rights to self protection that I don't have. I realize that I'm already s.o.l in this regard but I'd rather not lose any more ground than has already been lost. All police are civilians but not all civilians are police. Not all civilians have the responsibilities and duties that Police do. I'd prefer that distinguishing characteristics betwen LE and Non-LE to be the uniform, the badge and the oath and not the gun.