Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:28   #1
cassandra

browser jacked by broadband companies!

Ack! I am so tired of these dumbed-down browsers the broadband companies want you to use. I'm trying to fix a web site (link bar doesn't show) and my MSN Explorer doesn't even allow View Source so I can see what's going on with my index page.

So I opened my regular Explorer browser, forgetting it had been hijacked by my old cable broadband, and REALLY stupified with all sorts of Yahoo and Google crap.

Why do they do this? How can I get just a plain old Explorer browser back?
cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 13:05   #2
David_G17
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

if you are doing any sort of web development, Firefox is your friend.

you can highlight chunks of code and view the source of just that selection of code. you can right click and view the source of a particular frame.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

there are way too many web development plugins that you can add for me to list here, but the default features are worthwhile. (it's also much, much less likely to get hijacked).
"We need the strong gun regs and enforcement Europe has."
-DU debates America's future 10/23/2005
David_G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 14:56   #3
chbix

id agree that firefox is the future my friend.

Anyway, you can easily connect to any dsl or broadband and never install the cd that came with the stuff. SBC Yahoo DSL i have had for years came with a disk, well my lovely wife installed it on her comp and it was filled with all kinds of stupid software and browsers that where heavy, stupid looking and mem hogs.

I just use the connection abilities of windows, and with xp and vista it should be very easy to connect with out touching their heavy software.
chbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 15:57   #4
cassandra

Quote:
Originally posted by chbix
id agree that firefox is the future my friend.

Anyway, you can easily connect to any dsl or broadband and never install the cd that came with the stuff. SBC Yahoo DSL i have had for years came with a disk, well my lovely wife installed it on her comp and it was filled with all kinds of stupid software and browsers that where heavy, stupid looking and mem hogs.

I just use the connection abilities of windows, and with xp and vista it should be very easy to connect with out touching their heavy software.
Yes I finally figured that out. When I went back to DSL (yes, back to DSL!) Qwest wanted me to use their latest disk, but I just hooked up the router and everything worked ok using the old crap.

I guess the reason I get suckered in is because I need to use their email app for my political groups, and I'm not sure if hotmail or yahoo is up to it.
cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 16:41   #5
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

Re: browser jacked by broadband companies!

Quote:
Originally posted by cassandra
Ack! I am so tired of these dumbed-down browsers the broadband companies want you to use. I'm trying to fix a web site (link bar doesn't show) and my MSN Explorer doesn't even allow View Source so I can see what's going on with my index page.

So I opened my regular Explorer browser, forgetting it had been hijacked by my old cable broadband, and REALLY stupified with all sorts of Yahoo and Google crap.

Why do they do this? How can I get just a plain old Explorer browser back?
Install Firefox. It works better than Explorer.
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:21   #6
NetNinja
Always Faithful

Like some of the previous posts, there is no need to install thier software.

I run Comcast and have no problems.
S&W 1911, 686, M19, 627VComp,ColtDE10mm
Anschutz 1813 Super Match
NetNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 13:03   #7
Penguini66

Quote:
Originally posted by David_G17
Firefox is your friend.
No doubt. Best thing since sliced bread as far as the internet goes. After installing Firefox, I went into the internet explorer "connections" options and give IE a bogus proxy server so that that it can no longer connect to the internet at all. That seemed to finally completely disable MSIE since you can't actually un-install it.

On the subject of the broadband companies wanting you to install their software....When you get the self install kit, call up the tech support and tell them that your CDROM drive is broken and you would like them to walk you through the manual set-up. There is no need to have any of the broadband company supplied software loaded onto your computer for internet access or mail.

Last edited by Penguini66; 06-08-2007 at 13:08..
Penguini66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:05   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by cassandra
I guess the reason I get suckered in is because I need to use their email app for my political groups, and I'm not sure if hotmail or yahoo is up to it.
What type of groups are these? Like Usenet, or some other sort of newsgroup. If so, there news clients you can use(some names escape me at the moment). I used to read rec.guns a lot, and I simply used Google Groups.

http://groups.google.com/grphp?tab=wg

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote