SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:01   #1
paccw
ARE YOU READY !

Anyone go to the Valley Forge show ?

It looked kind of empty,and the dealers didn't seem to have a large selection of guns.

No deals to be found on guns ammo prices seem to have leveled off.And some of the harder to get ammo was back in stock.

I walked out after 1 1/2 hrs without spending a dollar.
Some how don't feel that was good.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.
paccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:40   #2
n3hcp
Paranoid Member

I haven't been there for a couple years. Wasn't that impressed even then. Actually, I've given up on most shows. IMHO the increasing availability of cheap ammo and most other gun stuff on the Internet have made shows obsolete. Like ham fests and computer shows before them, gun shows are becoming a thing of the past. Too bad, too. Shows were always good places to hob knob with like minded gun guys and see all kinds of cool stuff.
Old 06-17-2007, 16:35   #3
paccw
ARE YOU READY !

Yeah
I still met a Nam Vet. who was also a Harley rider while waiting in line.

So it wasn't all bad.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.
paccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 16:46   #4
slewfoot
Random Mayhem

I went on Saturday, I was hard pressed to spend my money but I made some purchases

It is a shame that a great tradition like the gun show is becoming a thing of the past. The internet has really made the shows obsolete.
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 20:56   #5
Ramtuff

I went and bought a cheap rifle bag and four mags for my AR. I didn't spot any real deals, but I always enjoy drooling over the full auto stuff that's there (M-60, Browning .30, MG-42's, Tommy Guns, etc.).
Ramtuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:42   #6
GroovedG19
Laguna Blue AP2

I was there Sunday looking to purchase a Sig P239.The prices were average to above average so I kept my cash. I did spot some baby Glocks(G26, G27) for 479 bones.Good price I thought but I wasn't shopping for another G yet.

I did buy a CRKT Ultima Tanto.
In the United States, suppressors are viewed as sinister and as assassination tools.But in France, for example, suppressors are sold openly in stores without restriction or registration.In fact in France and Switzerland, you can be fined by law enforcement for discharging a firearm without a sound suppressor in certain locations. - Police Magazine August 2008
GroovedG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:53   #7
dgg9

Quote:
Originally posted by n3hcp
Actually, I've given up on most shows. IMHO the increasing availability of cheap ammo and most other gun stuff on the Internet have made shows obsolete.
True. The main redeeming factor I could always count on was getting a great deal on a cheap case of ammo. Even if I found nothing, I could save enough on a case of plinking ammo to pay for the entry fee.

Now: no deals to be seen. Indeed, vendors at shows are doing the reverse: jacking up prices and hoping to score off the unwary. To this day, you see vendors trying to charge above-retail price for "hi-cap" mags.

Also, at the VF show, I see more schlock and less gear.

However, shows are still good for several niche reasons:

1. Some things are easier to find at shows than online. Inert training rounds for one thing.

2. A few things are cheaper to get there than online (mostly due to saved shipping): cleaning supplies, targets.

3. There's no better way to shop for knives, since you can see them and physically check them all out right there.
dgg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 19:01   #8
warners surplus

I talked to the show promoter a few days before the show and she said she was having problems with the local Fire Marshall. He told her the isle's were too narrow (they were) and that she had to cut down by 125 tables to make the isle's wider. She did that by cutting alot of the smaller 2 to 4 table vendor's. The Fire Marshall set the table limit at 600 tables instead of the 725 that they were cramming in there. Even at 600 table's she was going to have to monitor the number of customers and when it reached a point she would need to stop letting customers in. She said that starting next show she will be down to 500 tables so she won't need to count customers and possably turn people away.

As for price's I'm afraid rising costs and the internet have just about pushed gun shows to the point of not being financialy sound for the bigger dealers to do.

I know for me it is a touse up right now.If you look at costs for the Valley Forge show,
8 tables @ $75. each=====$600.
Labor to inventory,load,setup,sell,tear down, unload when home,It takes 2 men 4 days for a 3 day show At a cost of $160. per day.
Motel room at the show===$185.00
Meals at the show for 3 days 2 men===$100.
Fuel to get there and get home===$50.

Your looking at a Total cost of $1575.00

Now when you look at firearms profit, A basic Glock My cost is $440. and sells at the shows for a max of $490.

A Mosin Nagant cost's $60. and sell for $99.

Springfield XD's Cost $450. and sell for $499.

A dealer makes an average of $40. to $50. on a firearm sale Upto a max of $80. on an AR or AK.

We need to sell a BUNCH of guns just to cover cost's.

Yup, I'm afraid that within the next few years gun shows will be a thing of past dreams.

Rich W.
warners surplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 22:39   #9
MOHAA Player

Went on Sun and found a mint condition CZ75B with box/paper work/2 mags/loader/brush&rod for $325.00 and same guy had 2 NIB 16rnd Mec-Gar mags for $23.00 each.
MOHAA
Old 06-24-2007, 06:55   #10
Cclass
CLM Number 16
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally posted by warners surplus
I talked to the show promoter a few days before the show and she said she was having problems with the local Fire Marshall. He told her the isle's were too narrow (they were) and that she had to cut down by 125 tables to make the isle's wider. She did that by cutting alot of the smaller 2 to 4 table vendor's. The Fire Marshall set the table limit at 600 tables instead of the 725 that they were cramming in there. Even at 600 table's she was going to have to monitor the number of customers and when it reached a point she would need to stop letting customers in. She said that starting next show she will be down to 500 tables so she won't need to count customers and possably turn people away.

As for price's I'm afraid rising costs and the internet have just about pushed gun shows to the point of not being financialy sound for the bigger dealers to do.

I know for me it is a touse up right now.If you look at costs for the Valley Forge show,
8 tables @ $75. each=====$600.
Labor to inventory,load,setup,sell,tear down, unload when home,It takes 2 men 4 days for a 3 day show At a cost of $160. per day.
Motel room at the show===$185.00
Meals at the show for 3 days 2 men===$100.
Fuel to get there and get home===$50.

Your looking at a Total cost of $1575.00

Now when you look at firearms profit, A basic Glock My cost is $440. and sells at the shows for a max of $490.

A Mosin Nagant cost's $60. and sell for $99.

Springfield XD's Cost $450. and sell for $499.

A dealer makes an average of $40. to $50. on a firearm sale Upto a max of $80. on an AR or AK.

We need to sell a BUNCH of guns just to cover cost's.

Yup, I'm afraid that within the next few years gun shows will be a thing of past dreams.

Rich W.
That's interesting to see the perspective from the other side of the tables.

BTW, I saw your tables at the last Harrisburg show that I went to. (which was probably in the neighborhood of a year ago). I was going to stop and put faces with the names but you guys were pretty busy with customers. Maybe next time
Old 06-24-2007, 19:56   #11
PennGlock

Not enough damn AKs at Valley Forge... that's the main problem.