Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-06-2007, 15:45   #1
malkore

Anyone else make beer?

I've made both beer and mead in the past, two 'spurts' into the hobby if you will...and I'm getting ready to renew my interest in the hobby this weekend.

I've only done malt extract brewing, with some specialty grains.

Anyone else into this hobby? I got out of it before due to too many batches of mead (which has to age a while) and a few failed beer batches (all my own, impatient fault).
Walther p22 (carbon fiber)
Sig Mosquito
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:22   #2
tat2guy
Silver Membership
NRA Life Member

I don't brew nearly as often as I'd like to, but that's the way it is with everything I enjoy, really....

I get about 2 batches a year done. I currently have all the ingredients for 2 batches all set to go- just gotta find the time! I used to brew quite a bit when I was younger. I developed a really nice cinnamon brown sugar stout recipie in college- it was a great winter beer, a big hit at Christmas. if I can find my recipe book, I'll put it up here for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
tat2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:19   #3
Egyas
Troll Hater

Just started a few months ago. My second batch (a German Altbier) will be ready to start drinking this weekend (at the earliest). So far, I'm "cheating". I'm using the pre-made kits where everything is included. Once I get used to the process and make a few "good" batches, I'll start getting more "advanced".

I wanted to make mead, but looking at the aging times (months to YEARS), I decided on beer. lol

I also have a plan to make lager. I know it needs to ferment in a refrigerated fermenter. I'm wondering. I have a old fridge I could pout in my brewing room. Could I simply put the fermenter in the fridge (set to the appropriate temp) and let it go?

Founder - Illinois Glockers Club #1
Big Dawg, GOTOD, Niner's & Survival #1280
GOA Member
NRA Member
Egyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 15:55   #4
malkore

yes, you can use a fridge or deep freeze with a fridge thermostat installed for brewing a lager, cold conditioning beer, or to build a kegerator.
Sig Mosquito
Old 06-07-2007, 19:59   #5
Kurly

I love homebrewing! Been doing it since '98 and built my 10 gal. all-grain system about 5 mos. into it. Used Bush's $300 tax refund to buy a 15cf chest freezer to lager, store and serve up to 4 kegs through tap handles drilled through a wood collar built on top. A 10 gal. batch takes me about 5.5 hours if I'm on top of things.

Favorite beers are Belgians, IPAs, Stouts, and anything with rye in it. If you're a fan of Moose Drool, I've got a great recipe straight from the brewer @ Big Sky. If I brew this weekend I'll get some pictures.
Kurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 21:34   #6
tat2guy
Silver Membership
NRA Life Member

I used to rent an appartment with a very odd feature. The back room had a little room behind it that used to be a back deck. Someone built walls and a roof on it, stuck a new backdoor on there, and called it a room- but it wasn't insulated. It got REALLLLLY cold in the winter.I used it mainly for storage, since the apt had no attic.

Then I had a great idea durring the blizzard in which my son was born- use the back room to brew lagers!

It actually worked perfectly!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
tat2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 15:32   #7
malkore

Blizzards are better served for conceiving children, not having them pop out

I have ideas to lager in my basement this winter, IF it gets cool enough.

I've got a 5gal batch of Weizenbier fermenting away at home. In fact after a vigorous 36 hours, I think its about done with the bulk of primary. Gonna take a reading tonight.

a SG of 1.042 and 77F fermentation temp does make for a quick primary. I'll cope with off flavors, which so far all I smell are typical wheat beer aromas and a bit of banana ester. I can live with that if everything tastes decent and carbonates properly.

cheers!
Sig Mosquito
Old 06-18-2007, 20:41   #8
lucasbm

I've studied homebrewing for about a year now. Why did it take so long for me to actually start brewing? Well you would have to ask my wife that. I am currently working on my 2nd and 3rd batch.

If your looking for an easy first brew, try a wheat ale (German Hefeweizen). Most recipes only have one hop addition in the beginning of the boil. Not to mention that is my favorite beer in the summer.

My First beer to brew was of course a Hefeweizen.
That was a big hit with the wife and friends so I brewed another Hefeweizen (different recipe) and an amber (xx)cerveza.

Question!

The guy at my homebrew store told me that you can brew lagers at ale temps. The beer will turn out fine, but it will not have as "crisp or clean" of a tast like all lagers have. Has anyone heard of this? I'm trusting that he knows what he is talking about. I will find out for sure when the cerveza is done.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:45   #9
Kurly

Quote:
Originally posted by lucasbm

Question!

The guy at my homebrew store told me that you can brew lagers at ale temps. The beer will turn out fine, but it will not have as "crisp or clean" of a tast like all lagers have. Has anyone heard of this? I'm trusting that he knows what he is talking about. I will find out for sure when the cerveza is done.
That's true to a certain extent but it will most definitely be an ale-type taste versus a lager. Simply subsitute the lager yeast for an ale yeast that leaves a clean profile (Wyeast 1056, Nottingham, etc.) and ferment at the lower end of the termpature range. As your homebrew guy said, it'll definitely not be as crisp as a lager, but won't have the bready taste of an ale if you use a clean-profile yeast.
Kurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:54   #10
Egyas
Troll Hater

Isn't lager-style beer brewed at room temp referred to as "steam" beer?

Founder - Illinois Glockers Club #1
Big Dawg, GOTOD, Niner's & Survival #1280
GOA Member
NRA Member
Egyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:35   #11
JPinAZ

Quote:
Originally posted by Egyas
Isn't lager-style beer brewed at room temp referred to as "steam" beer?
Nope. It's called a "California common". If you try calling it a steam bear you'll have Anchor's lawyers after you for trademark infringement. Well, if you're a commercial brewer at least.
JPinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 18:57   #12
HalfMoon

Yep, I'm a brewer too.

Been brewing since 2001. I've got a 15 gallon all grain system setup, and two 14.x gallon conical fermenters setup in two upright freezers. I use a chest freezer to hold my kegs, can have 10 5 gallon corney kegs on tap at once.

I need to brew some more, it's been a little while, but I've been sampling the Meads I've been aging for the last 3-5 years, so it's okay.
HalfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 18:57   #13
HalfMoon

dupe....

itchy mouse finger.
HalfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 21:37   #14
groundhawg

i had to shut down "sloppy monkey" brewery when i moved from a house to an apartment but all this talk of brewing is making me consider a grand reopening. nothing much better than a nice mug of your own beer.
groundhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:51   #15
sdfhpson

Can I liven this thread back up again? :-)

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936633
sdfhpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 17:41   #16
Big Al 24

I don't make beer, but I drink it- so PM me and I'll make sure to take care of your beer problem.
Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote