Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-09-2007, 20:01   #1
Matt VDW

Big Darby Range?

I've heard that there is a new range west of Columbus, near West Jefferson. It's called something like "Big Darby Creek Range" and sounds like a very nice place. Has anyone here been there?
Matt VDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 00:45   #2
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

news to me
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:21   #3
Matt VDW

I just drove out there last night. The place does exist, but it was closed when I got there so I couldn't get in to look around.

If it's supposed to be open to the public, I wonder why there's no advertising.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:29   #4
Matt VDW

Update:

I found a thread at http://www.ohioccw.org with more information. I think it would be a violation of forum rules to post a direct link, so I won't, but there's some good information there.

I'll post a range review once I've had a chance to shoot there.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:26   #5
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Ok, I am blind. I can't find the thread.

So is it public, private, something else.
Where can I find it?

As far as Eric's policies, I have never gotten yelled at when I post links to other sites when they answer the question at hand. His problem is when people start promoting another site on a regular basis, especially commercial sights.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:23   #6
Matt VDW

Here's a direct link to the thread:
http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtop...=10684&start=0

The thread title is "New range and training center in Madison County.

There's apparently going to be a Big Darby Creek Shooting Range website at www.bigdarbycreeksr.com , but it's not up yet.
Old 06-13-2007, 17:15   #7
Brian Dover

I stopped out there Sunday morning. Place wasn't open for the day yet but the president, nice fellow named Pete Denlinger was on site, so he gave me a short tour. It is still a work in progress but some matches and training have already been held there. The store is somewhat stocked with ammo, targets, etc., but firearms are still to come.

Looks like it will a be a busy place, they plan on being open long hours seven days a week, with the ability to cover and heat the firing line in cold weather.
Old 06-13-2007, 19:57   #8
mmc45414

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Dover
I stopped out there Sunday morning... Looks like it will a be a busy place
Brian, did they give any indication they will be hosting IDPA?
MMc
mmc45414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:00   #9
Brian Dover

Yes mmc, Mr. Denlinger told me he'd already been approached by groups interested in holding IDPA, IPSC, and Cowboy Action events at the facility.
Old 06-14-2007, 19:30   #10
mmc45414

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Dover
Yes mmc, Mr. Denlinger told me he'd already been approached by groups interested in holding IDPA, IPSC, and Cowboy Action events at the facility.
Cool, Rosco is not working weekends anymore and I have been wanting to get started in IDPA, you still doing it?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:39   #11
Brian Dover

Yes Mark, I shoot a little IDPA, but can't seem to beat the deal we have at The Pit on Sundays. Anyhow, let's not tie up Eric's board with our silly personal chitter chatter back and forth.

Back to Big Darby for a second. Folks, this place has gotta be a significant financial undertaking. These days one doesn't just doze up some dirt for a backstop, throw a sign out by the road, and open for business. New establishments have to do environmental impact studies, put in extensive runoff containment and sewage systems, satisfy every building, fire, and health code known to man, etc. etc. Takes time to get through all those hoops. Give Big Darby a little time to sprout up, and be glad somebody still has the cojones to build new ranges.
Old 06-21-2007, 15:05   #12
Matt VDW

The Big Darby Creek range is now open. BTW, it's about four miles (driving distance, not straight line) from Prairie Oaks metro park.
Old 06-27-2007, 13:25   #13
gtmtnbiker98

We just shot an IDPA classifier on June 23rd and they received IDPA affiliation on Friday, the 22nd of June. IDPA matches are held the third Saturday of every month. Go to www.defensivepistol.org for more information.
gtmtnbiker98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:24   #14
Canon10D

There was a big thread on ar15.com, but I guess some people think the range is bad for their own backyard range.

I'm not sure why everyone does not like another range in the area and with a 300 yard long range!

Link

I think there are some pics in that thread also.
Canon10D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:30   #15
gtmtnbiker98

They are complaining about the annual membership along with the $8.00 pay per session fee. The annual membership is $125.00 for civilian and $85.00 for military and LEO. They have to recoup some construction expense - can't blame them!
gtmtnbiker98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 14:40   #16
mmc45414

Quote:
Originally posted by gtmtnbiker98
They are complaining about the annual membership along with the $8.00 pay per session fee.
The way I read their www site sounds like the membership is optional:

The range is open to the public, but we also offer annual memberships for organizations, individuals and families. Membership benefits include (but are not limited to):
• Discounted range fees
• Retail store discount
• Discounted FFL transfer fees
• Discount on training class enrollment fees

http://www.bigdarbycreeksr.com/
Old 07-05-2007, 04:24   #17
mmc45414

Quote:
Originally posted by gtmtnbiker98
They are complaining about the annual membership along with the $8.00 pay per session fee. The annual membership is $125.00 for civilian and $85.00 for military and LEO. They have to recoup some construction expense - can't blame them!
I went over there and posted in the tread, there is mostly just one guy making a lot of noise about the fact that the membership doesn’t waive the entire range fee. I thought his posts mischaracterized the membership as being required, and he responded that he understood that the membership was optional, but still considers the place to be lame for even having such a policy. I agree that for just the range fee discount the membership doesn’t add up, but I think the place was getting slammed unfairly.

Anyway, I did write an email to them asking (on behalf of a friend) if they were permitting the shooting of 50BMG and haven’t heard back yet.

I just remembered I am going to Columbus today, maybe I will swing by on the way home…
Old 07-07-2007, 07:29   #18
BigDarbyIDPA

Hello Everyone,

I am the Match Director for the IDPA matches at Big Darby. We are shooting on the 4th Saturday of the month - April through November. We just had a classifier on June 23rd and are planning another one for September (the Saturday before Nationals).

July's match is going to utilize the stages for the Postal Match that has been posted in various places.

About the range: It is public range with reduced fees for members. There are over 25 covered 150' shooting lanes plus the 300 yard rifle along with 3 additional open scenario-type bays. As far as I understand, any firearm that is legal to own can be fired there.

The website has been re-done in the last couple weeks and all the info is in a forum style site. Visit the site www.bigdarbycreeksr.com then come visit the range. You won't be disappointed. BTW, there may be limited hours on the 300 yard rifle range, so call first to be sure it will be open if that's what you plan to shoot.

Happy shooting everyone.

Jon S.
Big Darby Creek SHooting Range - IDPA Match Director
BigDarbyIDPA@defensivepistol.org
www.defensivepistol.org for scenarios and scores
BigDarbyIDPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 16:45   #19
BallisticTip

Very nice range and friendly staff, bought a membership on my first visit, best thing to happen on the west side for long time.
BallisticTip is offline   Reply With Quote