Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:40   #1
Poodle

Has anyone tried the P99?

Has anyone tried the P99? How is it? What about spare parts?

Last edited by Poodle; 06-13-2007 at 06:17..
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:17   #2
9MX
Rei!

Re: Has anyone tried the P99?

Quote:
Originally posted by Poodle
Has anyone tried the P99? How is it? What about spare parts?
st. matthew i think had one (or still has), i think spare parts are a problem.

sa 9mm blasters, ang alam kong walang problema sa parts ay ang glock at tanfoglio
Old 06-14-2007, 01:44   #3
chocoboy

I used to own a 40cal P99QA. Quite accurate. Recoil was terrible. Grip/Ergonomics wasn't that good also. Trigger pull was a bit heavy but w/ the QA model, the stroke was short n sharp (similar to a 1911). Didn't like the grip surface as it tend to be very slippery when your hands get wet. As mentioned above, parts n accessories are hard to find. Bottom line, I sold mine. No offense to P99 owners but ur better off w/ a glock...
chocoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:46   #4
akula
BizDuc NM

I used to owned a Walther P99 9mm and competed it for a while. The grip was super, and it had three backstraps to choose from. I used the midrange backstap. I've also shot a G19. The P99 was FAR ahead vs the G19. It also has a 16-rds metal magazine vs the 15 round of G19. Recoil is almost similar with a glock, and maybe better because of the superior grip. Mine was a DA/SA and had a decocker. The DA was sweet and the SA was much sweeter. SA was smoother and more responsive even compared with a friend's Tanfoglio SA.

I had to give it up when I acquired a G26. Redunduncy bites the wallet. I did love that gun.

I broke a firing pin (assembly) from dry firings without a 'snap cap', and this happened a day before a Level-III. I wasn't able to compete with it and had to use a friend's Tanfoglio. The next working day, I called up Nashe, and I was lucky that they had a spare one on stock.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:50   #5
Hermo Gut

Quote:
Originally posted by akula
I used to owned a Walther P99 9mm and competed it for a while. The grip was super, and it had three backstraps to choose from. I used the midrange backstap. I've also shot a G19. The P99 was FAR ahead vs the G19. It also has a 16-rds metal magazine vs the 15 round of G19. Recoil is almost similar with a glock, and maybe better because of the superior grip. Mine was a DA/SA and had a decocker. The DA was sweet and the SA was much sweeter. SA was smoother and more responsive even compared with a friend's Tanfoglio SA.

I had to give it up when I acquired a G26. Redunduncy bites the wallet. I did love that gun.

I broke a firing pin (assembly) from dry firings without a 'snap cap', and this happened a day before a Level-III. I wasn't able to compete with it and had to use a friend's Tanfoglio. The next working day, I called up Nashe, and I was lucky that they had a spare one on stock.
+1
BOG #941
Heckler and Koch Club #50
"There are only two ways to live your life.One is as though nothing is a miracle.The other is as though everything is a miracle."
- Albert Einstein -
Hermo Gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 17:40   #6
Poodle

Quote:
Originally posted by akula

Thanks. Quite costly. It's about 65T. Full size ang P99 no? Baka G17 na lang kung sakali.
Old 06-14-2007, 18:10   #7
9MX
Rei!

Quote:
Thanks. Quite costly. It's about 65T. Full size ang P99 no? Baka G17 na lang kung sakali.
yes. Go for the G17. Pag P99 kinuha mo, POG ka na hindi na BOG
Old 06-14-2007, 19:12   #8
Valor1
Pro Paingiver

If I live and shoot in the US, ok lang sa akin ang Walther P99. Get the german version. Meron din kasing collaboration ang Walther with Smith & Wesson. The P99 is better in terms of handling and ergonomics.

Since nasa Pinas ako, I'll get the Glock. Dali lang kasi tong pistol na to in terms of parts. Don't need much support kasi DIY naman ang pagpalit ng mga parts.

Cheaper pa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Valor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 22:01   #9
st. matthew
c_w@_u_need_2_c

sold mine for a reloader
as chocoboy mentioned mahirap parts, lalo na magazine, glock ka na lang mas marami parts,pero pag gun collector ka puede na rin isama p99 sa collection mo

Under Stress, Simple is Good. -BE
st. matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:26   #10
akula
BizDuc NM

Quote:
I got mine when it was P36T and Glock19/17 was selling at around 28T (year2000). But at the current price -- of more than double -- I would have to think twice or thrice :( Yep, it was the original Walther, not the '2nd rate' S&W version :D
Old 06-15-2007, 04:33   #11
Evan N. Payawal

P99

I own a P99 now. I don't compete, so I give my opinion as someone who owns firearms purely for defensive purposes.
It's the one firearm I actually kept all these years.
As far as pistols are concerned, these design features suit me best in terms of my needs.
1. it is a traditional double action pistol, which I am most comfortable with if ever I have to ready the FA with a round in the chamber. I simply am not comfortable with the "safe action trigger" of the Glock which I feel is too light, or the single action pistols, even with multiple safeties
2. having the decocker as a plate that you push down on top of the pistol is preferable to me than the decocker design of other DA pistols. I can't confuse it with the slide release (like in a SIG) nor does it interfere with getting a firm grip on the slide (like with the levers on a 92FS)
SIG put it in a position where you can decock with one hand, but all these years I still have yet to think of any practical situation where I would need to decock with one hand. Decocking for me is never done under stress, I always have my free hand to do it.
For police officers, the SIG design may have some use, but I have always felt that it is easy to confuse with the slide release under stress.

3. I love the ability to instantly switch the trigger from DA to SA simply by retracting the slide a few mm, even with a round in the chamber

Very accurate, reliable as far as I know.
I do agree that spare parts are not easy to come by in the Philippines, but since I don't compete, it's not a problem for me.

Last edited by Evan N. Payawal; 06-15-2007 at 04:38..
Evan N. Payawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:22   #12
Poodle

Thanks for the input.

Tried the G19 again this afternoon at the range and though I haven't fired it in about 9 months, I think I did ok at the range. I still think that the G21 is more manageable but I'll just have to practice more with the G19.

I was thinking of selling it ang getting the G17 or the full sized P99. Though I think that the P99 is an outstanding pistol the price is prohibitive. And I was told that the mass of the slides of the G17 and G19 are practically equal so the recoil would approximately be equal for both models.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:42   #13
nitrox920

GLOCK pang Police
WALTHER P99 pang JAMES BOND

Last edited by nitrox920; 06-17-2007 at 06:48..
nitrox920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 21:31   #14
Poodle

Maganda na din mga tama ko sa G19. Di ko na lang benta. Dati kasi parang mas sabog ang mga tama ko sa G19 compared with the G21. I like the G21, the G19 however is more concealable.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:50   #15
nitrox920

seriously ... I compete with my P99 and Its accurate. the grip is just fantastic and the trigger reset is like a 1911.
Its a nice gun to compete.
Infact today my dream came true. I just got another P99 and its for my wife .
After considering my other options like an XD,HKP2000 and an MP smith&wesson...I decided that walther P99 would still be the best for my wife.

With a 120 years gun history and experience.. One can never go wrong....with a Walther
Old 07-23-2007, 08:49   #16
Tejeron

I used to have a P99 too bought around P35-36k if I remember correctly. It was superb in terms of ergonomic handling, accuracy and pointability.

But later switch to a Glock 26 due to its size in concealment.
Old 07-26-2007, 20:14   #17
CatsMeow

Back in 1999, I had the choice of Glock 19 from Final Option or Walther P99 from PB Dionisio. Back then each cost about 29k (those were the days, sigh). I decided on the Glock as I did not feel the Walther was proven enough, yet. When that year's gunshow in Megamall came, I headed over to Final Option and made my deposit. Great store, you could even choose your serial number from a list of their inventory, I chose my father's and brother's birthday (918). After I did, I went around and found myself face-to-face with Twin Pines' Browning Hi-Power for only 23k! Ngek.
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote