Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-13-2007, 20:04   #1
GSXRanger

Question for the Harley crowd

Again, first and foremost... I am a sport bike rider. My first bike was a 1981 Yamaha Maxim 550... considered a UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) or a Standard. Every bike I have had since then, has been a sport bike.

By no means, do I dislike Harleys, or cruisers for that matter. But, my question is for this genre. What the world is up with "Ape Hangers"???

Why on earth would someone put those on their bike? Is it all for looks? Can someone explain it to me?

I mean, come on... how can this be safe?

Moto Club

After a long trip, the blood has to drain from your arms... and it has to make the bike hard to handle. Well, they don't turn all that well to start with, so I guess that is a moot point.

Thanks gang...
GSXRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 22:05   #2
whogasak47
JPFO-GOA

The answer is so easy

They are not bikeriders. Good Luck and Ride Safe
Rule #1 Watch out for Number 1.
Rule #2 Remember your Number.

There is nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot.
whogasak47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 22:06   #3
HollowHead
Firm member

I once felt the same way about handguns until I actually fired one. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 23:10   #4
GSXRanger

Quote:
Originally posted by HollowHead
I once felt the same way about handguns until I actually fired one. HH
So, you advocate the Ape Hangers?

I am just trying to understand the "Why" behind it. Why on earth would you put them on the bike? High CDI factor most likely.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:28   #5
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Those aren't ape hangers. They are monkey hangers. The ape hangers go way above your head.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:12   #6
J.R. Bob Dobbs
Nerd

-It's to allow bees direct access to your armpits.
-So when you're about to crash, it's easier to fold up your arms over your exposed face.
-More airflow to freshen-up the unshowered pits.
-So you can more easily admire your tassles while riding.

All in good humour folks don't take it personally
Old 06-14-2007, 10:54   #7
DaisyCutter

Ape hangers...

They're symbolic of an erect phallus, and Harley riders can't wait to get their fingers arount 'em.

The other thing that makes me chuckle... Why is it soo common for Harley riders to be on a $20,000 bike, but only using $4 Home Depot leather work gloves (like in the picture above). I see this all the time.
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 14:24   #8
xrmattaz

I had 15" "ape hangers" on my old FXR Springer. That and a Corbin saddle made it the most comfortable highway bike I'd ever owned! Never used forward controls, just forward highway pegs. Very comfortable riding position for ME.

Just did >1000 miles this past weekend on my VStrom (with Corbin saddle!). Those two bikes are tied for most comfy honors now.
G17Gen4,G19,20SF,21SF,21Gen4,23Gen2,38,39
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 18:13   #9
GSXRanger

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
Those aren't ape hangers. They are monkey hangers. The ape hangers go way above your head.
I had not heard the term before, so I walked up to some guys staring at their Harleys in the parking lot, and asked what they were. I asked why they put them on the bike, and they said... well, they really couldn't answer the "why" part.

I have no experience base to judge from. Therefore, I can not debate this topic with anything more than observations. The few "cruisers" that I have ridden, just do not fit my riding style.

However... the Buell Ulysses is DEFINITELY on my short list, for my next bike. That thing is just plain FUN.
Old 06-14-2007, 19:37   #10
Ol' Dirty

Apes vs. Clipons

This same question could be asked by a cruiser guy wondering how someone could ride a bike with clip ons. The purpose is completely different.

I ride a 1200 Custom with 12" baby apes on top of 6" risers which makes my hand position about even with the shoulder, probably a hair shorter than the guy in the picture. I have found that the riding position is very comfortable and handling is not much worse than the stock bars. Sportsters aren't that sporty anyway so it isn't much of a loss. I've ridden sport bikes and although I love the performance the riding position and style aren't for me.

I'm thinking of getting a different bike right now. My next set of bars will probably not be that tall but they won't be clip ons.
Ol' Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 22:37   #11
GSXRanger

Re: Apes vs. Clipons

Quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Dirty
This same question could be asked by a cruiser guy wondering how someone could ride a bike with clip ons. The purpose is completely different.

I ride a 1200 Custom with 12" baby apes on top of 6" risers which makes my hand position about even with the shoulder, probably a hair shorter than the guy in the picture. I have found that the riding position is very comfortable and handling is not much worse than the stock bars. Sportsters aren't that sporty anyway so it isn't much of a loss. I've ridden sport bikes and although I love the performance the riding position and style aren't for me.

I'm thinking of getting a different bike right now. My next set of bars will probably not be that tall but they won't be clip ons.
Ol Dirty... thank you for an adult response. I am very open minded, and I never asked this question being a smart ass. I seriously wanted to know "why". Now, granted... clip on's to those not used to them, are a bit uncomfortable... but, I am 6'4 and my GSXR is probably the SMALLEST bike I have ever owned. The first two weeks I had it, I hated the way it felt. I was coming off of an Aprilia Falco, which is like a big comfy couch to me... but this GSXR was TINY. Now, I have had it for a year and a half, and I just turned over 29K miles on it today. I have grown to love this bike. It is good enough for me to do 400 mile loops on the weekends with my mates, all be it, stopping every 120 miles or so for fuel. I find that the riding position on it, is almost spot on for me. I am big enough that I can move around, and shift my body position whilst riding.

One thing I found in my LIMITED experience on a cruiser, is that I am pretty much locked in to one position on the bike. Sure, you can take a hand off the bar, but, the seats are made that you sit in one position.

You should have seen me trying to hang off the Sporty going through turns... very funny I am sure.

I too, am looking for a second bike. My GSXR is getting SharkSkinz very soon, and I am taking it off the street. It will be my dedicated track day bike. My short list of bikes are as follows...

1. 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2. 2007 Buell Ulysses
3. 2007 BMW R1200GS
3. 2007 BMW R1200RT
4. 2007 Yamaha FJR 1300

Not necessarily in that order. My criteria is to be a daily commuter, in Florida (my next duty assignment). We can not split lanes in Florida, like we can here in California. So, it has to be comfy sitting in traffic for at least an hours commute. It has to have bags on it... Upright riding position, to see over the cars. It has to be able to corner like a sport bike... or else I don't think I will be able to ride it...

Last but MOST important, it HAS to be comfy for my wife on the back. She and I love to take road trips, and she has to be able to ride back there without her arse falling asleep.

Again, thanks for a civil explanation without being condescending. Maybe someday, I will get a chance to ride a bike with those bars on it, and make my own decision. Until then, keep the rubber side down!
Old 06-14-2007, 23:32   #12
HollowHead
Firm member

I put 16"ers on four inch risers on one of my FXs a few years ago to see what the fuss was all about, too. I actually liked them and kept them on until selling the bike later on. With forward controls it is quite a comfortable ride. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 00:41   #13
Ol' Dirty

Ranger, if you're ever in the Big Dirty (Houston) I'll let you go for a spin.

The local harley dealer was giving away sling bags for test riding Buels so I took an xb1200R out for a run. Holy cow was that thing fun, but the bars and riding position didn't do it for me. I'd either get into lots of trouble or a wooden box on one of those things.

On my bike I tend to use the forward controls or the passenger pegs to change the riding position. With the rigid mount evo and the badlander seat, sometimes I'm happy that it only gets 100 miles to the tank.

Right now I'm thinking about getting a VTX1800, stripped styling and a comfortable ride with boatloads of torque are appealing to me.
Ol' Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 17:52   #14
wolfy692005
pro tinkerer

Send a message via Yahoo to wolfy692005

i have found (for me) that havinig your hand at or just below sholder level is very cumfy.. The ultra i have now has them way low in my opinion and my hands do go to sleep after a while and i have to shake the feeling back into them..
As far as anything above the sholder i believe is just for the looks or the wow factor of so people.. There was a guy who made his own handlebars.. had a FX low rider. this grips had to be over 7' off the ground. When we road it, you would swear his ass never was on the seat. He loved it, whatever, to each his own i guess.
I stopped trying to figure out bikers a lot time ago.
Wolfy
1911 club member,Florida Glockers Club,
Sig Club and Ruger Club, all the same # 692005
wolfy692005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 19:15   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Re: Re: Apes vs. Clipons

Quote:
Originally posted by GSXRanger
My short list of bikes are as follows...

1. 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2. 2007 Buell Ulysses
3. 2007 BMW R1200GS
3. 2007 BMW R1200RT
4. 2007 Yamaha FJR 1300

Not necessarily in that order. My criteria is to be a daily commuter, in Florida (my next duty assignment). We can not split lanes in Florida, like we can here in California. So, it has to be comfy sitting in traffic for at least an hours commute. It has to have bags on it... Upright riding position, to see over the cars. It has to be able to corner like a sport bike... or else I don't think I will be able to ride it...

Last but MOST important, it HAS to be comfy for my wife on the back. She and I love to take road trips, and she has to be able to ride back there without her arse falling asleep.

Again, thanks for a civil explanation without being condescending. Maybe someday, I will get a chance to ride a bike with those bars on it, and make my own decision. Until then, keep the rubber side down!
Please add to that list 1-ea KTM 990 Adventure. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-15-2007, 20:41   #16
GSXRanger

Re: Re: Re: Apes vs. Clipons

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
Please add to that list 1-ea KTM 990 Adventure. You will be pleasantly surprised.
You know, I have sat on the Adventure, ridden with people that own them, (never ridden one myself) and I find that bike very capable. However... WOW is it ugly!!! Right up there with the Multi-Stroodle...

I have no doubts that it is a brilliant machine... but, I would have to shudder every time I went to throw a leg over it.

Moto Club

Now the Buell Ulysses just does it for me. I tell you, I REALLY like this bike! The Missus loves it too!

Moto Club
Old 06-15-2007, 22:32   #17
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The KaTooM doesn't win in a beauty contest, that's for damn sure. But like a freaky but ugly chick, when you get down and dirty, that's where she shines.

Sporty handling? Check!
Power? Check!
Comfort for two? Check!
Upright seating? Check!
Watercooled for those nasty traffic jam commutes? Check!

And what the other choices don't have...

True offroad capability? Check!

KTM people take pride in the industrial look of their machines and I finally understood why when I rode the 950 ADV. It's not about the looks but it's all about the ride.

If you dare (because you'll end up buying it), go for a test ride. If you dare.
Old 06-16-2007, 00:37   #18
J.R. Bob Dobbs
Nerd

"The KaTooM doesn't win in a beauty contest, that's for damn sure. But like a freaky but ugly chick, when you get down and dirty, that's where she shines."

Dude!
Old 06-16-2007, 08:26   #19
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

I'm still trying to understand a guy who likes a Buell calling a KTM ugly...
Old 06-18-2007, 23:36   #20
Cryptoboy
Sr. Sr. Member!

Send a message via ICQ to Cryptoboy Send a message via AIM to Cryptoboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cryptoboy
Quote:
Originally posted by NMGlocker
I'm still trying to understand a guy who likes a Buell calling a KTM ugly...
Just a little something called 'Good taste'.....

Go Noles!!!
Cryptoboy is offline   Reply With Quote