Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-20-2007, 16:27   #1
n3hcp
Paranoid Member

Harrisburg man goes to mental hospital for carrying...with a permit!

So what, exactly, did this guy do that justifies putting him in a mental hospital and, in all likelihood, preventing him from owning guns for the rest of his life?

Channel 27 news link

Harrisburg, Dauphin County -
A woman had a conversation with a man about recent car break-in's on HACC's campus about a week ago. The man told her nobody better break into his car because he had a gun and ammo in there and it would be worse than Virginia Tech. The woman saw the man on HACC's campus Tuesday and told another woman, who then reported it to security.

HACC security officers found the man at the Cooper Student Union working on a laptop around 11:30 a.m. He is not a student at the school. Security officials watched the man and called Harrisburg police. When police officers arrived, they found the man with a loaded 9 mm handgun in his computer bag. Police say he has a permit to carry. They also found a ski mask and black gloves. When police searched his car, they found another loaded 9 millimeter handgun with a mask and a second pair of black gloves.

Assistant District Attorney Fran Chardo says the man will not be charged with making terroristic threats. He said the man didn't really threaten anyone, he was simply making a statement. The man was taken to a mental hospital for an evaluation. His guns were seized and he'll have to transfer them to someone else.

HACC sent out a statement to faculty Tuesday alerting them to the situation. Guns are not allowed on HACC's campus, even if the owner has a permit.
Old 06-20-2007, 18:08   #2
GlockRik

Re: Harrisburg man goes to mental hospital for carrying...with a permit!

Quote:
Originally posted by n3hcp
So what, exactly, did this guy do that justifies putting him in a mental hospital and, in all likelihood, preventing him from owning guns for the rest of his life?
1. "Guns are not allowed on HACC's campus, even if the owner has a permit". I assume this is a state law pertaining to schools. If so, breaking the law was his first mistake.

2. Ski mask and gloves + gun in summertime. Maybe innocent, but raises flags.

3. The man told her "nobody better break into his car because he had a gun and ammo in there and it would be worse than Virginia Tech".
How stupid a statement was this.

After the recent shootings, things like this will be reacted to and should be. If the guy broke the law in carrying on campus and looses his CCW, he has no one to blame but himself.

There may be cirumstances we don't know about regarding his mental state.

Last edited by GlockRik; 06-20-2007 at 18:11..
GlockRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 18:18   #3
mitchshrader
Deceased

and, his weapons may well be returned,

following mental evaluation.

sounds like an issue for a judge to hear.

his rights, as a citizen, may OR MAY NOT have been violated, as all evidence is not available to us.

that's why we have judicial oversight, and due process.

part of that due process isn't TAKING his guns. it's ensuring the safety of the public, as part of the ajudication process. an interim condition. ARGUABLY excessive, arguably prudent. legal.

if his guns were confiscated, destroyed, held without cause, ok, tyranny.

but if someone SENSITIVELY detected a budding wingnut that ought NOT to have em, and gloves, guns, and a ski mask TWICE is a faint hint, lets do whatever is due diligence in these circumstances to GET judicial oversight.

no one is suggesting put the fella in a cage without a lawyer.

i've not heard anyone say he's had his gun rights permanently removed for cause, merely being evaluated.

maybe that's his ordinary running gear, after a shower, he likes running in his gloves and ski mask. if it's a pair of hatch gloves or a pair of michael jackson gloves might matter. rubber gloves or big hunky leather work gloves?

does this guy have a history of wierdness? hate his mom? torture poodles? lets find out, inquiring minds MAY JUST have an interest in the topic.

but you gotta admit.. if he'd kept his mouth shut nobody would care.

i Rilly think we got what you call your wannabe mall ninja.

i think maybe giving him his guns back is iffy. i'm glad i'm not that judge.
Old 06-24-2007, 19:10   #4
Jeep274
Member When?

Re: Re: Harrisburg man goes to mental hospital for carrying...with a permit!

Quote:
Originally posted by GlockRik
1. "Guns are not allowed on HACC's campus, even if the owner has a permit". I assume this is a state law pertaining to schools. If so, breaking the law was his first mistake.
It is not state law, just a school policy.

Quote:
2. Ski mask and gloves + gun in summertime. Maybe innocent, but raises flags.

3. The man told her "nobody better break into his car because he had a gun and ammo in there and it would be worse than Virginia Tech".
How stupid a statement was this.
I agree.

Quote:
His guns were seized and he'll have to transfer them to someone else.
Unless he is convicted of something, I think this is BS.

.40 S&W Club #414-PA Gockers Club #47-Wheelhouse & SKS carbiners #274
Jeep274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 19:44   #5
SHEPHERD321

Was this guy charged with carrying concealed on a secondary school property? The reason I'm asking this is there are high school students that go to HACC, subsidized by the state.
I though it was in the news paper that he was involuntarily committed to a mental institution for evaluation and lost all of his gun rights for the rest of his life.
SHEPHERD321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 20:42   #6
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:
Originally posted by SHEPHERD321
Was this guy charged with carrying concealed on a secondary school property? The reason I'm asking this is there are high school students that go to HACC, subsidized by the state.
I though it was in the news paper that he was involuntarily committed to a mental institution for evaluation and lost all of his gun rights for the rest of his life.
Since when has a news paper ever gotten the law correct in one of their reports?

Old 06-24-2007, 20:44   #7
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:
Originally posted by SHEPHERD321
Since when has a news paper ever gotten the law correct in one of their reports?

One can non longer trust the medias to get anything accurately reported without their anti-bias added to the report!

Old 07-08-2007, 15:34   #8
CZ_40P

The DA who would be King

"It would be worse than Virginia Tech if someone broke into my car. I have guns in the car," Dauphin County First Assistant District Attorney Fran Chardo quoted the man.

Police talked with Chardo about charging the man. Chardo said what the man said would not qualify as a terroristic threat because there has to be an intent to terrorize another person.

"Because of the statement I was greatly concerned about this fellow," Chardo said. "I contacted the sheriff and had his license to carry a firearm revoked. And I asked police to commit him under Section 302 of the mental health procedures act and that was done. He is now ineligible to possess firearms because he was committed involuntarily."

Chardo said the law says a person cannot possess a firearm if they have been adjudicated incompetent or involuntarily committed for inpatient mental health care.

A source close to the police said the man lives in the 3700 block of Green Street, Susquehanna Twp. The Patriot-News is withholding the man's name because he has not been charged with any offense.

The way I read this , Chardo is just way too impressed with himself. " I contacted the sheriff and had his license to carry a firearm revoked And I asked police to commit him under Section 302 of the mental health procedures act and that was done. He is now ineligible to possess firearms because he was committed involuntarily." DA. Chardo seems to have have taken a convoluted path to deny the man of his constitutional rights and his freedom. Chardo seems to take particular delight in the fact that a "302" has taken away his gun rights forever! Sounds like your typical power hungry liberal making us all safer, because they know what's good for us.

It also seems that alot was made of him being "on campus" , however his listed address is right next to the campus. Was he really just in his neighborhood and talked to the "WRONG" person ?

What is the Virgina Tech incident going to be the impetus for grandstanding DA's. Will we start hearing "You know things are different now after V.T. instead of things are different after 911.

There is more (or less) to this story than is being reported

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews...d_at_hacc.html
Old 07-08-2007, 15:49   #9
mitchshrader
Deceased

here's the act..

i don't see any judicial oversight for this action.

http://www.mces.org/302FAQs.html

i see judicial oversight for continueing action. i see no opportunity for a second opinion, nor any opportunity to bring witnesses to avoid the initial evaluation.

this seems a very loosely worded law.