Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-18-2007, 21:21   #1
passive101

Moving to FL. How long before I can get CCW and new handgun?

I have a glock 26 now. (It's to big for ccw on me) I would like a kahr mk9 in the next few months, but the 26 will work for now.

I'm moving from WI this week. How long do I have to be in FL to get my ccw and be able to purchase a new handgun?
passive101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:24   #2
rich52us

Send a message via Yahoo to rich52us
You don't need to have a CCW to purchase a handgun in FL once you're a FL resident. Just proof of residency, such as a FL DL.

You can apply for your FL CCW now, and just change your address when you move to FL.

There's a 3 day waiting period after purchase your firearm (5 days in some counties such as Miami Dade) if you do not have a CCW, and no wait if you have your CCW.
#3014 in the Big Dawg , Kel-Tec , Sub, HK & Black Rifle Clubs. .
rich52us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:04   #3
sidewinder6

You can get the forms anytime. Its best to keep the address the same as you risk confusing the screeners who need to clairify your residence. Im not clear on whether you already have a permit but assuming you are starting from scratch, the long pole in the tent comes from the Department of State getting a rolled set of fingerprints back from the FBI that says you are who you say you are and your criminal history. If you are not a former LE or retired Military, you must have a Concealed Weapon Course. Mostly about the Florida Statutes but some will include a short (very short) segment on handgun safty. These courses can be done in a day and a few dollars. The certificate (one type or another) must accompany your set of prints, photographs and application. Dont forget the license fee. Then you wait about say, 12 weeks for the license to appear in the mail. Some of the readers here may be instructors or LE Range officers and have up to date info on the turn around time for the fingerprint check. I always tell people to expect 12 weeks minimum.
sidewinder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:43   #4
Vic777

Re: Moving to FL. How long before I can get CCW and new handgun?

Quote:
Originally posted by passive101
I'm moving from WI this week. How long do I have to be in FL to get my ccw and be able to purchase a new handgun?
at least 90 days residency, if memory serves ...
there is a good book on Florida Gun laws in most Florida Gun shops. I saw a copy in www.panteraguns.com
Vic777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 14:10   #5
rich52us

Re: Re: Moving to FL. How long before I can get CCW and new handgun?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vic777
at least 90 days residency, if memory serves ...
there is a good book on Florida Gun laws in most Florida Gun shops. I saw a copy in www.panteraguns.com
I believe this is not accurate. According to "Florida Firearms Law" by Gutmacher 6th (latest) edition, page 58 under Qualifications for the CConcealed Permit:

1. You must be 21 years of age, or older, and a legal resident
of the United States.

There is no requirement that an applicant be a resident of Florida. That's why I suggested the OP apply before he moves to FL and just change his address after he gets here. I believe you have a month to notify the state of a change of address.

Last edited by rich52us; 06-19-2007 at 14:15..
Old 06-19-2007, 15:22   #6
GlocknSpiehl
NRA Life Member

As I already had the training certificate when I moved to Miami 2 years ago, my process was lightening fast:

1. Called State office and received app in 3 days.

2. Went to local PD for ELECTRONIC fingerprints.

3. Mailed form overnight mail with postal money order and paid for my prints online via credit card.

4. Received my permit back 7 days after overnighting it to Tallahassee.

BTW: Love having a permit signed by "Charles Bronson"
Old 06-19-2007, 19:00   #7
passive101

I actually took a ccw course that was ok for FL in WI a couple of years ago, but never went though and got my permit. So it will have to be retaken I'm sure.
Old 06-19-2007, 21:09   #8
rich52us

Quote:
Originally posted by passive101
I actually took a ccw course that was ok for FL in WI a couple of years ago, but never went though and got my permit. So it will have to be retaken I'm sure.
There is no time limit or experation for the requirement to "demonstrate competence with a firearm". I think you're still good
Old 06-19-2007, 21:40   #9
passive101

Quote:
Originally posted by rich52us
There is no time limit or experation for the requirement to "demonstrate competence with a firearm". I think you're still good
damn now i have to find my paper work!