SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-23-2007, 15:01   #1
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Helmets, a different take

I know there are lots of riders who don't wear helmets.

I'd like to know how many of you who don't have ever crashed.
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 19:12   #2
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

I live in a helmet required state, but frequently ride in NH, CT and RI which do not require their use.

I have been down twice, once with (although with a novelty helmet) and once without. Neither of which were very serious (road rash and broken leg were the biggest injuries ).

If given the choice, I usually do not wear one. That said. I do have a full face , and 1/2 helmet that are DOT approved that I will wear on occasion. If riding 2 up, I wear a helmet and require my passenger to wear one as well.
tehan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 22:16   #3
piggsy

Man, o man. I have dropped it once, but it was low speed. Got roadrash with no head injuries. I used to never wear a helmet until I studied the accident and fatality reports that are released by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. It doesn't take long to see the pattern. While not all riders wearing helmets survived, most had minimized head injuries. Most of the fatalities were riders who were not wearing a helmet. It doesn't take a big hit to crack a skull or get a concussion. Just remember that a helmet doesn't make you invincible

Last edited by piggsy; 06-23-2007 at 22:23..
piggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 22:28   #4
donbubbo
Say-Go!

I had a class 3 concussion WEARING a helmet. I shudder to think what I'd be doing today if I hadn't been wearing one. That's just me though. I realize there are pros and cons for both sides of the helmet issue. I try to ride as defensively as I can but you never know.
Ride safe all!

Of course you are darlin'...you're a man.:whistling:
donbubbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:41   #5
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

The reason I started this thread is that I don't understand the mindset of those who don't wear helmets (even though I don't particularly like helmet laws). I've always assumed that those who don't wear helmets, or who ride in shorts, tank tops, sandals, haven't had the pleasure of getting themselves banged up and scraped and are still Group I bikers (those who haven't been down).
Old 06-24-2007, 05:07   #6
wolfy692005
pro tinkerer

Send a message via Yahoo to wolfy692005

dropped one at hwy speed.. it was raining.. front tire washed, the bike feel to the left and i got my left leg out from under the bike before it traped it. so i "surfed" it to the edge of the hwy where the bike pretty much stopped or at least slowed realy fast and i didnt. and went flying down a "grassy" hill.. i was lucky for 2 reasons, there was grass and the bike did not follow me and run me over.
no injury to the head neck or sholders..

I did get rear ended one time at a stop sign while wearing a full face helment (raining again) and the doc says that the added extra weight of the helment acually is what gave me whip lash..
you never know.
wolfy
1911 club member,Florida Glockers Club,
Sig Club and Ruger Club, all the same # 692005
wolfy692005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:29   #7
Powder Monkey
Bravo Zulu!

Quote:
Originally posted by oldgraywolf
...I've always assumed that those who don't wear helmets, or who ride in shorts, tank tops, sandals, haven't had the pleasure of getting themselves banged up and scraped and are still Group I bikers (those who haven't been down).
Yup. Group I. What you're describing are fair weather riders. Only seen on the best of riding days and in the best of traffic conditions. Many of my contemporaries were such and dressed accordingly until they experienced several hours of extreme discomfort in the local ER having asphalt scrubbed and picked from their backsides. I rode full-time, all-weather, and year-round in heavy commuter traffic. Having an extreme aversion to such things as aphasia, my brain bucket remained in constant use.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:26   #8
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

By the time I first crashed, I'd been riding around 14 years and was already religious about leather and helmets. There's a good chance I wouldn't be alive if I hadn't been wearing the bucket and the leather jacket saved me from road rash that would have been disfiguring. That crash caused me to go to a full face helmet from a 3/4 and to start wearing chaps over my jeans.

As an aside, I've become more and more defensive over the years as the idiocy level and numbers of people on the roads both increase. The only way to stay alive is to be paranoid.